161

Your Quote of the Day

2  
Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
“A Man About To Tell The Truth Should Keep One Foot In The Stirrup.”--Mongolian saying
In other words, keep your foot on the gas peddle.

1  
Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:34 pm
Janis Ian
21 hrs ·
Thanks to Ken for posting this as part of the anti-trust discussion below. I adored Frank Zappa. One of the coolest moments in my life came when I was at a NY club, preparing to watch Cream circa 1967 - can't remember the club name (maybe the Au Go Go?). Anyway I was around 15, sitting on the aisle, when someone from the club asked me to move in one because Frank Zappa wanted to sit next to me, and he had very long legs. We watched the show together, in silence (to be honest, I was pretty initimidated). When it ended, he stood up, stretched, look down at me, and said "You're doing a great job entertaining the troops, kid. Keep it up."
To this day I'm not sure what he meant by "troops" except for one interesting fact - when most of the US was refusing to play my recording "Society's Child", Armed Forces Radio was playing it in heavy, heavy rotation all through Viet Nam.
https://tinyurl.com/zaopaantitrust

2  
Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 07:58 am
“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large-scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first.”
― Jim MORRISON
JTT

-1  
Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 09:31 am
@edgarblythe,
The crimes of the U.S. throughout the world have been systematic, constant, clinical, remorseless, and fully documented but nobody talks about them.
--- Harold Pinter

-------------
Least of all, Edgar.

JTT

-1  
Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 09:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
That is something you have never had to worry about, CI.

1  
Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2019 09:58 pm
“There is a principal
which is proof against all information,
which is proof against all arguments,
which cannot fail to keep man in
everlasting ignorance;
that principal is -
Contempt prior to investigation !”
― HERBERT SPENCER

1  
Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 07:15 am
“The forces which are working out the great scheme of perfect happiness, taking no account of incidental suffering, exterminate such sections of mankind as stand in their way, with the same sternness that they exterminate beasts of prey and herds of useless ruminants.”
― Herbert Spencer, Social Statics or The Conditions Essential to Human Happiness Specified and the First of Them Developed

JTT

-1  
Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 03:53 pm
"I saw melting of girders in World Trade Center."

Abolhassan Astaneh, professor of civil engineering at the University of California, Berkeley
One of the leading structural engineers who studied the collapse of the World Trade Center on 9/11:

JTT

-1  
Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 04:01 pm
@JTT,
Who is the cowardly A2Ker down voting, me or Abolhassan Astaneh, professor of civil engineering at the University of California, Berkeley?

2  
Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 07:51 am
“Those who cavalierly reject the Theory of Evolution, as not adequately supported by facts, seem quite to forget that their own theory is supported by no facts at all.”
― Herbert Spencer

1  
Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 08:02 am
@edgarblythe,
" Edgar, I hope youve been spared any effects from the devastating rainfalls down there"

"Farmerman"

1  
Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 09:57 am
We were just on the edge of it all. We received a few days of beneficial rain, while a spot like Winnie, to our east, received 40 inches in ten hours. One of those days we broke the record for rain on a single day in September.

1  
Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 12:56 pm
“The profoundest of all infidelities is the fear that the truth will be bad.”
― Herbert Spencer

2  
Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 01:17 pm
“When a man is born...there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.”
― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

2  
Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 12:24 pm
“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth.”
― William Faulkner

2  
Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 07:53 pm
“Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the wrong. Sometime in life you will have been all of these.”
― George Washington Carver

1  
Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
"[I'd invite] Stephen King [to my dinner party] because he would know what to do if the dead parts of the dinner party started acting up." Jeanette Winterson on who to invite to her hypothetical literary dinner party (including guests as Margaret Atwood, Shakespeare, and Virginia Woolf.

1  
Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 11:01 am
https://i.imgur.com/7yv89uF.jpg

1  
Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 12:14 pm
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
— Martin Luther King Jr.

1  
Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 09:48 pm
“...most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”
― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World