Your Quote of the Day

JTT

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 09:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
That is something you have never had to worry about, CI.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2019 09:58 pm
“There is a principal
which is proof against all information,
which is proof against all arguments,
which cannot fail to keep man in
everlasting ignorance;
that principal is -
Contempt prior to investigation !”
― HERBERT SPENCER
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 07:15 am
“The forces which are working out the great scheme of perfect happiness, taking no account of incidental suffering, exterminate such sections of mankind as stand in their way, with the same sternness that they exterminate beasts of prey and herds of useless ruminants.”
― Herbert Spencer, Social Statics or The Conditions Essential to Human Happiness Specified and the First of Them Developed
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 03:53 pm
"I saw melting of girders in World Trade Center."

Abolhassan Astaneh, professor of civil engineering at the University of California, Berkeley
One of the leading structural engineers who studied the collapse of the World Trade Center on 9/11:

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 04:01 pm
@JTT,
Who is the cowardly A2Ker down voting, me or Abolhassan Astaneh, professor of civil engineering at the University of California, Berkeley?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 07:51 am
“Those who cavalierly reject the Theory of Evolution, as not adequately supported by facts, seem quite to forget that their own theory is supported by no facts at all.”
― Herbert Spencer
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 08:02 am
@edgarblythe,
" Edgar, I hope youve been spared any effects from the devastating rainfalls down there"

"Farmerman"
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 09:57 am
@farmerman,
We were just on the edge of it all. We received a few days of beneficial rain, while a spot like Winnie, to our east, received 40 inches in ten hours. One of those days we broke the record for rain on a single day in September.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 12:56 pm
“The profoundest of all infidelities is the fear that the truth will be bad.”
― Herbert Spencer
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 01:17 pm
“When a man is born...there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.”
― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 12:24 pm
“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth.”
― William Faulkner
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 07:53 pm
“Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the wrong. Sometime in life you will have been all of these.”
― George Washington Carver
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
"[I'd invite] Stephen King [to my dinner party] because he would know what to do if the dead parts of the dinner party started acting up." Jeanette Winterson on who to invite to her hypothetical literary dinner party (including guests as Margaret Atwood, Shakespeare, and Virginia Woolf.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 11:01 am
@tsarstepan,
https://i.imgur.com/7yv89uF.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 12:14 pm
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
— Martin Luther King Jr.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 09:48 pm
“...most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”
― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 10:45 am
"I am not apt to follow blindly the lead of other men. I have steadily endeavoured to keep my mind free."
--- Charles Darwin

It paid off. He started a revolution that freed the mind of man from the slavery of belief in a supernatural.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:10 pm
@coluber2001,
Not for everyone, because many still believe in creationism.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:54 pm
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 07:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, but before Darwin most everybody believed in the supernatural origin of the natural world. His Discovery, with Wallace, was not only revolutionary, but brave.
0 Replies