Why Wait Until They're Dead?

Ionus

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 09:53 am
Quote:
Why Wait Until They're Dead?
You can only bury them when they are dead . You are not allowed whilst they are alive, and anyway, you may come to regret confiding in them . Best to wait till they are dead then they cant betray you .
msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 09:05 pm
@Ionus,
That post made me feel very sad, Ionus.
It is as if you believe everyone will automatically betray you, so you can't trust anyone.
And that isn't true.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 10:24 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
It is as if you believe everyone will automatically betray you, so you can't trust anyone.
Not everyone, just enough to make trusting people the choice of chumps......I dont believe this but not because I have not run up against a lot a assholes during my lifetime, but because I refuse to live that way. I can well see though why some people see enough of the worst that humanity has to offer to swear off thinking well of people. On a parallel note, I know a lot of people who like pets better people, and who care more about pets than people...which is pretty much the same thing.
msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have had pets all my life & consider looking after them properly a serious responsibility, hawkeye.

But that does not impact on my attitude to fellow human beings.

We have all been disappointed by people we have had trust in, at one time or another. The best we can do is learn from the experience & try not repeat the same mistakes.

It would be a terribly limiting existence not to trust anyone ever again because of things which have happened to us in the past.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 04:10 am
@msolga,
Quote:
That is my reality .
msolga

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:24 am
@Ionus,
Surely it can't be your whole reality?
No one at all is to be trusted?
That's very sad.
Ionus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:35 am
@msolga,
I have had the honour of being in a unit where there were no clowns . You could trust everyone with your life... but you couldnt trust everyone with your wife . Of those men, far too many have suicided, some are on psyche pensions and some are on physical disability pensions . Some were given cash because they were injured on the wrong side of a line on a map and that was the least public option of compensation . Most were betrayed by wives or the government or both . Most feel considerable difficulty in re-establishing their lives . Many have lost their money in civilian street ventures because they knew nothing of what they were getting into, they were driven by getting out of the army . Many are having to work well into retirement because of lost monies .

If you think there is someone you can trust, I suggest you either do not know them or you havent seen them under pressure . Probably 90% of people are capable of being an Eichmann .
msolga

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:51 am
@Ionus,
I can't compare my life experiences with yours, Ionus, because my life has been very different to yours. I'm sorry there has been so much difficulty for you & for people you have known.
But (from my experience of life) I really cannot agree that 90% of people are capable of being so evil.
That is not to say, of course, that one should blindly trust everyone & expect the best of people always.
It's just that I believe that it's worth giving people a chance. To not trust anyone because they may hurt or betray you seems to me to be a very self-limiting way to live one's life.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 11:05 am
I think it would be very easy to drop someone on A2K a line and say "I appreciate your contributions." Someone did that for me out of the blue and it meant a lot; I still think of it often. It's as easy as clicking a button and it doesn't have to be a gushy outpouring of sentiment.
0 Replies