The Minders Drastically Cut Alcohol Intake for Old People

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:10 am
We men used to be allowed 11 pints a week after 65 years of age, but our new limit is 6. This is going to suck...

Quote:
Recommended safe limits for drinking alcohol by older people should be drastically cut, according to a report.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists says people over 65 should drink a maximum of only 1.5 units of alcohol a day.

That is the equivalent of just over about half a pint of beer or a small glass of wine.

The report says older drinkers are less able to process alcohol and the drink might also interact with medication they may be taking for other ailments.

It warns current advice - 14 units of alcohol for women and 21 for men each week - is based on work with young adults.

A group of experts from the Royal College of Psychiatrists says there is a growing problem with substance abuse among older people, who they describe as society's "invisible addicts".

The report says a third those who experience problems with alcohol abuse do so later on in life, often as a result of big changes like retirement, bereavement or feelings of boredom, loneliness and depression.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13863196
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,818 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:14 pm
WHAT? Call Amnesty International.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:27 pm
@JLNobody,
What I want to know is who is it who thinks that old people give a damn what is healthy or not?? As we near death it makes perfect sense to have what we want regardless, I can't very well enjoy my WhistlePig Rye after I am dead, and if it cuts some breaths out of my life then so be it.....at some point most of us wise up enough to see that living longer is not always all it is cracked up to be and that quality of life needs to be in the equation some place. I very much enjoy my beverages.
0 Replies

albertnices

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 12:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Information given on topic is nice also give more information on topic.
0 Replies