About Siberia。

Nancy88

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 12:40 am
Dusk arrives suddenly, as if this were the frontier also between light and darkness. Siberia is only a few miles away. It sets up a tingle of alarm. I am
sliding out of European Russia into somewhere which seems less a country than a region in people's minds, and even at this last moment,
everything ahead—the violences of geography and time—feels a little thinned, too cold or vast to be precisely real. It impends through the darkness
as the ultimate, unearthly Abroad. The place from which you will not return.

The paragrap above is a description of Siberia, what the meaning of the last sentence?

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 02:06 am
It appears to me to be a bit of literary hyperbole. She means that Siberia makes such an impression upon her mind that she sees as a place where she might die, a place from which she will not return because it will claim her life, it will kill her. This is a literary exaggeration, she doesn't necessarily mean that Siberia will literally kill her, she is trying to give a sense of the great psychological power the idea of Siberia had over her.
0 Replies