The Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um Thread for 2011-2012

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@spendius,
And, both JoeNation and Thomas finished the NYC Marathon. Congratulations to both. Oh, and some cold beer. Or room temp beer.
spendius

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Tomorrow's the day osso.

I consider it, apart from the serious contenders, a form of hysteria. A media event. 1.5 seconds of fame on TV. Being the talk of the neighbours not all of which is complimentary.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
My hearty congrats goes out to Joe and Thomas. What a feeling of accomplishment you must be feeling (along with the blisters). I'd pop the top of a beer but my dog (avatar) hasn't learned to fetch yet but the night is still young.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Congratulations to Joe Nation and Thomas! They are genuine athletes. I am only a spectator.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:41 pm
It appears that 4 of the 5 late games are shaping up to be very close.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 06:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
50 yard FG attempt to beat AZ?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 06:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yikes. Was anyone watching? My little diagram playing field of 1 3/4" x 6" doesn't tell me much - what was going on with Bradford and all the failed passes to Lloyd? Poor passing? poor catching? good defense?

Then there were the Pats..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 07:10 pm
Congratulations to Tico and McGentrix who picked Denver over Oakland. And AndyClubber and Mis Cowdoc selected the NY Giants against New England.
Mis Cowdoc is in the tractor seat right now. She has managed to go 9-3. She has Baltimore and Philly in the remaining games.
There are nine, I say nine, players at 8-4. George, alas, also has the Ravens and the Eagles, so that leaves 8 players still in contention to challenge Mis C.
I would be remiss for not mentioning CoinToss/CoinToss. After going 4-3 in the early games, things worked out well in the late games; a remarkable 4-1. Overall, 8-4. CT agrees with Mis C re Balt and Philly.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Next week, #10, sees the end of the byes. For the rest of the season there will be 16 games each time. And, with the college season winding down, there will be NFL games on Thursday's. That has posed a bit of a problem for us in the past.
Here are the rules. Players can pick just the Thursday night game before kickoff and come back and pick the remaining games before kickoff on Sunday. Or, my preference, players can pick all of the games before the Thursday one and come back and change the Sunday-Monday picks before 1 ET on Sunday.

Week #10 Schedule:
Thurs 11-10:
Oakland @ San Diego
Sun 11-13 early:
Buffalo @ Dallas
Tennessee @ Carolina
Houston @ Tampa Bay
Jacksonville @ Indianapolis
Arizona @ Philadelphia
New Orleans @ Atlanta
St Louis @ Cleveland
Washington @ Miami
Denver @ Kansas City
Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati
late:
Baltimore @ Seattle
Detroit @ Chicago
NY Giants @ San Francisco
Sunday night:
New England @ NY Jets
Monday night:
Minnesota @ Green Bay (+ score)
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:00 pm
Week #10:

San Diego
Dallas
Carolina
Houston
Indianapolis
Arizona
Atlanta
St Louis
Miami
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Chicago
San Francisco
New England
Green Bay, 33-17
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:57 am
@Ticomaya,
Something that came up in the studio discussion of the 31 yard penalty inflicted on the Steelers for "pass interference" was that when the rules of NFL were drawn up there was no serious concern about concussion and other injuries and that such concerns are now high on the list of priorities of NFL organisers. Traditionalists here who seek to maintain football as a contact game are not the ones who pay compensation to injured players.

Is the NFL heading in the direction of basketball under the pressure of litigation costs.

It also emerged that the average career of NFL players is 3 and 1/2 years. One of the participants in the studio discussion last night was an NFL player whose career was cut short by injury.

In our game tackles that were commonplace before TV coverage are now subject to the player being sent off.

So that is two major flaws in NFL Tico. It can't cope with billion dollar a week betting syndicates in the far east nor with modern injury awards by judges. Could a player getting killed result in a corporate manslaughter charge? There are a lot of potential jurors who would consider that allowing, encouraging even, some of the tackles I've seen to be irresponsible.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 01:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
Mis Cowdoc skillfully weaves her way down the field. She is 10-3 and has the Eagles tonight with a final score of 24-21.
Rhys is 9-4 and picks the Bears (27-10).
0 Replies

Coin-Toss

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Are you ready to toss a coin or a dozen?

Send me a p.m.

The posting deets will be provided to you.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:16 pm
@Coin-Toss,
I'm ready John. Anything to oblige. You only need ask.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:26 pm
@spendius,
Amusingly, Spendius, I have 2 or 3 people in line to flip for CoinToss this week. None of them has done it before. One is a player here; one is a "celebrity" who used to participate a few years ago and the 3rd is unidentified. Very mysterious, that one.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:10 am
@realjohnboy,
Week #10 Schedule:
Thurs 11-10:
Oakland
Sun 11-13 early:
Buffalo
Carolina
Houston
Jacksonville
Philadelphia
New Orleans
St Louis
Miami
Denver
Pittsburgh
late:
Baltimore
Chicago
San Francisco
Sunday night:
New England
Monday night:
Green Bay (35-17)
0 Replies

Coin-Toss

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:19 am
@Coin-Toss,
30 hours from now, a Pony Club representative (and occasional A2K poster) will become this week's featured Coin-Toss spinner UNLESS I receive a p.m. looking for the posting deets

(we can save the Pony Club offerings for another week )
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 10:35 am
@realjohnboy,
Let them do it John. I'm not bothered. I was only trying to help.

What a disaster Week 8 was.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 02:56 pm
NINE? NEIN, NEIN!
Week #9 wasn't our worst week. We stumbled in at .544 as a group. Week #7 (.535) still holds that distinction.
And the winner for the week is................................................ Rhys!
The lad from Boston and Mis Cowdoc from Idaho finished in a tie at a remarkable 10-4. I glanced this morning at the score in last night's game but read it wrong. I checked it again before composing this. It was 30-24. Rhys had predicted that the winning team would score 27 points while Mis Cowdoc said it would be more like 24.
Congrats to both of them for picking so well this tough week.
Edgar, Wandeljw, George and and AndyClubber came in at 9-5. There is a tug/tug on my sleeve from CoinToss/CoinToss. "Did you mention yet how I did?"
Five players came in at 8-6. Ragman, McGentrix, Tico, Mysteryman and Johnboy.
LionTamerX, ehBeth, JPB, Region, Spendius and Osso broke even at 7-7. CoastalRat, Fbaezer and Cowdoc struggled in at 6-8 while Jespah managed a rather remarkable 4-10.
Tug/tug on my sleeve/sleeve. "Did you mention that I finished better then 14 players here and I tied the best ESPN expert at 9-5? And did you mention that the worst ESPN guy should have flipped coins? He went 5-9. Ha!"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 03:57 pm
Week #10 Picks

San Diego

Dallas
Tennessee
Houston
Jacksonville
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Cleveland