Battle over San Francisco ballot measure to ban Circumcision

Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Bullshit, the reasoning goes that relationship and society function better when females are able to experience less pleasure during sex. You can disagree with this evaluation but you can not fairly say that there has been no cultural reasoning given...

I am saying the reasoning is not good, as in humane, not that it does not exist.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:12 pm
@Green Witch,
I see..."has no justification under any religious belief or cultural reasoning" = " is not justified according to my value system" in Green Witch speak....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:23 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I am advocating that people make up their own minds.

At how many bris do you think ANY anaesthetic is used?

How many men would have it done once the silly group pressure was gone?
I have never known ANY group pressure to be applied,
buy my physician advised it when I was a few months old
to stop urinary infections. I remain very pleased indeed, with the result.

David
Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
No. Sometimes things are just wrong on a humane level. It is the same reason we speak out against torture, war, and holocausts. It is abuse to the human condition. If we do not as a world draw a line than we open ourselves to the worst of ideas and the belief that those in power are always right.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, are you capable of dropping yourself as the universal reference and thinking about something in the abstract?

Nobody is arguing against circumcision where there is a medical need.

Your sort of situation is not what is under discussion.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David wrote:
Its healthier, to avoid infections.
hawkeye10 wrote:
to include AIDS according to some studies.
I had not considered that,
but (in that I 'm neither a homosexual nor a drug addict)
I consider myself effectively to be immune to AIDS.
I 'm more likely to get trampled by a herd of buffalos.

David

Your ignorance is astounding.

AIDS is as much a heterosexual disease as a homosexual one.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:47 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

AIDS is as much a heterosexual disease as a homosexual one

It is you dlowen who is displaying ignorance here, not David

Quote:
whereas the predominant mode of sexual HIV transmission in the United States is by penile-anal sex among MSM.

MSM= Men who have sex with men
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/circumcision.htm
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:53 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
African parents do not circumcise their girls because they want to hurt or oppress them,” said Miré. “They do it for many of the same reasons that American parents circumcise their sons – because they think it’s cleaner and healthier, because they think the child will be shunned or scorned if she is left intact, and because the mother is circumcised so the daughter should be, too. In other words, African parents go along with a cultural practice they never thought to question, just as many Americans do not think about the practice of circumcising their boys.”

Quote:
D Lowan: No, despite the horribleness of female genital mutilation, it does not take away all sensitivity (except possibly through psychological trauma or the frequent terrible infections).....the clitoris is bigger than the penis and only the small portion of it that appears on the surface can be excised.

Quote:
Green Witch: Are you asking if gouging out a little girl's clitoris so she will never experience sexual pleasure, and sewing up her labia so it fuses together in away that makes it difficult to urinate, and is guaranteed to be torn asunder during intercourse and childbirth, is the same as removing the foreskin of a penis?

Okay, we seem to have some discrepancies here. I'll admit that I don't know how female "circumcision" is performed or even why. I'm ready to be able2knowed.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:04 pm
@dlowan,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David wrote:
Its healthier, to avoid infections.
hawkeye10 wrote:
to include AIDS according to some studies.
I had not considered that,
but (in that I 'm neither a homosexual nor a drug addict)
I consider myself effectively to be immune to AIDS.
I 'm more likely to get trampled by a herd of buffalos.

David
dlowan wrote:

AIDS is as much a heterosexual disease as a homosexual one.
I believe that u r factually incorrect.
If that had become true, there 'd be enormous news HEADLINES
Such is not the case.

I will admit to the possibility of being contaminated by
heterosexual contact with drug addicts (ladies of the evening).
I don 't generally employ their services.

David
Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:13 pm
@JTT,
You can Google the term for details. I've spoken to two women who went through this and they both claimed they experienced no feelings sexually in their lives, even in one of cases in which the woman fell in love with a man and had a physical relationship with him. One of these woman had her clitoris removed by an aunt with a sharp piece of glass and she had vivid memories of it (she is why I used the word "gouged" it was her word). The other told me they gave her something that made her pass out and when she woke up her genitals were sown up with red thread and she screamed for weeks every time she urinated. When she was later married at 15, her 38 year old husband could not have intercourse with her because her labia had literally fused over her vagina with only a small opening that allowed her to menstruate. It becomes a long, sad even more gruesome story after that, but I'm tired and I will spare you the details. There are some reputable sources on the web describing this procedure and many testimonials from women who survived it. Because it is a thing done "at home" usually by female family members the results probably vary, but the procedure seems to be equally tragic to those it is forced upon.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:24 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
David, are you capable of dropping yourself as the universal reference
and thinking about something in the abstract?
I am capable of reasoning in the abstract, and have no objection thereto,
but I believe that we ALL see the world thru our own eyes
and we judge it thereby.
If I get a burn and feel its pain, then I project onto others
that thay feel such pain in the same circumstances.
We have a casual conversation here, and I think that it is
within reason and within propriety to mention my experiences
and my extrapolations therefrom. Did I miscalculate ?

dlowan wrote:
Nobody is arguing against circumcision where there is a medical need.
( I 'd silently feel sorry for a fellow who was not circumcised. )

dlowan wrote:
Your sort of situation is not what is under discussion.
My anatomy is kinda standard, not unique, not even unusual.
Presumably, others r vulnerable to the same infections that I was.
If u disagree, then please explain the reason.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Estimated adult and adolescent new HIV diagnoses in 2009 by transmission route and gender

Transmission route.......................... Male ............................. Female
Male-to-male sexual contact ...... 24,132 - ...............
Injection drug use................. 2,652'............................ 1,520
Male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use 1,157 -
Heterosexual contact............. 4,551 ............................ 8,706
Other ........ 47 ............. ..............................29
Total* ........... 32,538 .............................................10,255

http://www.avert.org/usa-transmission-gender.htm

In all of America less than 5,000 men contracted HIV by way of having sex with women, which accounts for why in the swinger community bareback sex is very common again. The fear is long gone, the facts to not support the hype about the risk. I am thinking that the clueless twits who freak out about AIDs if they have unprotected hetro sex are the same people who are running around convinced that American men are constantly raping women. It does represent reality, they have been sold a delusion that empowers a certain segment of our society unjustly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There has been endless information.

Here is a breakdown for Europe:

Quote:
HIV statistics

A cumulative total of 349,077 HIV infections had been diagnosed in Western Europe by the end of 2009. This considerably understates the true figure because not all HIV infections have been diagnosed or reported. This is partly because many people do not know that they are infected. In addition, the three countries with the most extensive epidemics either do not report from all regions (Italy and Spain) or started reporting only in 2003 (France and Spain). National HIV reporting started at different dates in different countries, without systematic retrospective reporting of infections diagnosed in previous years.

Of the reported 24,703 people diagnosed with HIV in Western Europe in 2009:

40% probably acquired HIV through heterosexual contact;
37% became infected through male-to-male sexual contact;
4% became infected through injecting drug use;
28% were female;
and 10% were 15 to 24 years old.
The number of reported HIV diagnoses has increased from 12,748 in 2000 to 24,703 in 2009. This is an increase from 5.5 cases per 100,000 population to 6.7. Countries with the highest rates in 2009 were the United Kingdom (10.7), Belgium (10.3) and Portugal (9.9).

Data on the original country in which infection occurred is available for 17 countries. According to these data, 39% of infections reported in 2009 originated from the country of report and 18% were acquired in sub-Saharan Africa. Latin America and the Caribbean accounted for almost 5% and other countries in Western Europe accounted for 4%. The origin was undetermined for over a quarter of cases.

http://www.avert.org/hiv-aids-europe.htm

Quote:
Worldwide
Heterosexual transmission is the most common mode of infection.

Quote:
Incidence in the U.S.
The number of new infections per year is estimated to be ~56,300.
This number has remained stable for at least 15 years.
Among adults and adolescents newly diagnosed with HIV infection (regardless of AIDS status) in the U.S. in 2009
~76% are men.
~75% were due to male-to-male sexual contact.
~14% to heterosexual contact
~8% to injection drug use
~4% to a combination of male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use
~24% are women.
~85% were due to heterosexual contact.
~15% to injection drug use
New diagnoses of AIDS
Proportion of newly reported cases of AIDS among men who have sex with men declined from ~65% of cases diagnosed in 1985 to a low point of ~40% of diagnoses in 1999, rising in recent years to ~48% of cases diagnosed in 2009.
Proportion of new AIDS cases attributed to heterosexual contact has increased dramatically, from ~3% in 1985 to ~31% in 2009.
AIDS diagnoses due to injection drug use rose from ~20% to 31% from 1985–1994 and decreased to ~15% by 2009.
Women are increasingly affected; the proportion of AIDS cases among female adults and adolescents (age >13 years) increased from ~7% in 1985 to ~25% in 2009.
Distribution (U.S.)
Most cases of transmission by injection drug use and heterosexual transmission are reported from the Northeast and Southeast, particularly among minority groups.
HIV infection and AIDS have disproportionately affected minority groups in the U.S.
Among those diagnosed with HIV (regardless of AIDS status) in 2009
~52% were Blacks/African Americans (a group that comprises only 13% of the U.S. population)
Estimated 3% of black men and 1% of black women in their thirties are living with HIV infection.
In 2009, rates of HIV diagnoses (regardless of AIDS status) per 100,000 persons in the U.S. were:
66.6 for Blacks/African Americans
22.8 for Hispanics/Latinos
21.0 for Native Hawaiians/Other Pacific Islanders
9.8 for American Indians/Alaska Natives
7.2 for Whites
6.4 for Asians

http://www.harrisonspractice.com/practice/ub/view/Harrisons%20Practice/141423/0/HIV,%20AIDS

Worldwide, it is a predominantly heterosexually transmitted disease.

In the west, less so, but still very common.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You appear again and again to use your story in place of a discussion about what is actually being discussed....cutting away foreskin in healthy under-age males.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:41 pm
@JTT,
I am sure the INTENT was to destroy sexual pleasure so as to gain men more assurance that children were their own...as is common with such things it is now surrounded with endless pseudo-reasons having to do with religion and culture....the thing becomes self-perpetuating as the ridiculous "logic" of "everyone else looks like this, she'll be rejected, impure, undesirable etc. if we don't do it" takes hold. (Remind you of anything?)

Different types of female genital mutilation exist with differentially extreme results.

The type Greenwitch is referring is the most brutal, I think. As I mentioned earlier, I am sure that emotional trauma and the horrific sequelae of such brutal and frequently dirty and un-anaesthetized mutilation can rob women of all sexual feeling, or, indeed, create intense and lasting pain.

Nonetheless, excision of the clitoris does not, in and of itself, rob a woman of all sexual sensation. This, at least, according to the accounts I have read from women who have experienced it.

Female genital mutilation does not necessarily include the horrible practice of infibulation.

When it occurs, that is certainly a very dangerous and horribly degrading practice...especially as women have to be cut to give birth, and then re-sewn.

One of my friends worked as a midwife in England, and was full of horror stories about this. Including women returning to hospital the day after discharge with their babies, with the need for surgery after having been raped by their husbands.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:45 pm
@JTT,
It's not hard to find info.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

Religious excuses:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm.htm

http://www.ranzcog.edu.au/publications/pdfs/FGM-booklet-sept2001.pdf

I opened a thread on attempts to combat it ages ago.

http://www.members.tripod.com/~Wolvesdreams/FGM.html

http://www.unicef.org/protection/index_genitalmutilation.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:52 pm
@dlowan,
You are in la la land....destroying the pleasure of females in the sex act does nothing to alter there motivation to get the best genetics for their kids as possible. Do you have any evidence that cutting the clit off of women changes the rate at women stray? How do you account for it being women who demand this practice most often, not the men?
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're a sad weird little guy and your bizarre obsessions make it impossible for you to comprehend English I think.

I am not saying anything about whether or not horrible mutilation affects rates at which women so affected choose partners their male bosses do not wish them to.

I do, however, believe that the people who invented this horror believed that it did. I suspect many men in the affected cultures still do believe so.

Come on, you're not entirely brainless...I am sure you can do better than just hysterical denunciation for the sake of it if you take a few deep breaths and try to think a little.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:06 pm
@dlowan,
Wow, that takes some major balls on your part to try to talk about why something started at least back a couple of thousand years ago...how many lives have you had to live that your knowledge goes back so far?
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Pathetic.

I misoverestimated you.