White House to announce more on initiative to link skilled workers,

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:39 am
June 8, 2011
White House to announce more on initiative to link skilled workers, manufacturers
By Barbara Barrett | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — When President Barack Obama visits North Carolina on Monday, he and a group of job advisers will talk about expanding a federal skills program that the president hopes will build on the kinds of relationships that companies in the state already are establishing with local community colleges.

The White House will announce today plans to build on an initiative that officials say will link American manufacturing companies to the kind of skilled workers they'll need in the near future.

Many such relationships already exist in North Carolina. Biotechnology companies have helped set up programs at local community colleges in the Triangle. NASCAR has a relationship with colleges in the Piedmont. And the White House pointed out Tuesday that Caterpillar will put a manufacturing plant in Winston-Salem in part because of a training program there.

The federal program, called Skills for America's Future, focuses on training 500,000 people to become manufacturing workers in the next five years, officials said.

The Obama administration plans to shift $2 billion to develop certifications for a variety of jobs needed in the manufacturing sector. That means that, for example, a welder would be able to leave a community college with a standard certificate that employers in shipbuilding, computer building or car manufacturing could recognize as a proof of the welder's skill set.

"That's a skill that's in high demand right now," said Ron Blum, assistant to the president for manufacturing policy, in a conference call with reporters Tuesday. "These skills are cross-cutting in all kinds of places across the manufacturing economy."

On Monday, Obama is scheduled to visit the Raleigh-Durham area - White House officials won't say where yet - to meet with his new Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. The council is made up of private-sector industry leaders.

Part of Monday's discussion in North Carolina will revolve around manufacturing, said Gene Sperling, director of the National Economic Council.

"When CEOs express the need for more skilled workers to staff good jobs and find good locations within the United States, the president's response is, 'You need to help us communicate with colleges and students what are precisely the skills needed to fill those jobs,'" Sperling said.

The White House hopes to help develop a curriculum by the National Association of Manufacturers' advanced manufacturing skills certification system for community colleges in 30 states. The credentials that would be developed through the federal program would not be an alternative to a two-year associate degree, officials said, but would help potential employers understand what skills students have developed.

The expansion also hopes to develop relationships with high schools across the country, develop an online resource for job seekers with manufacturing credentials and assist 30,000 at-risk youth obtain professional credentials in high-demand occupations.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/06/08/115423/white-house-to-announce-more-on.html#ixzz1OhBEtxvW
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 13
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:53 am
More government jobs created to discuss creating more government jobs... that's all Obama can think of.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:58 am
Quote:
assist 30,000 at-risk youth obtain professional credentials in high-demand occupations.

What "high demand occupations" will hire youth who've not graduated from high school and perhaps even have criminal records?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:03 am
Quote:
The Obama administration plans to shift $2 billion Rolling Eyes to develop certifications for a variety of jobs needed in the manufacturing sector. That means that, for example, a welder would be able to leave a community college with a standard certificate that employers in shipbuilding, computer building or car manufacturing could recognize as a proof of the welder's skill set

The kid doesn't need a certificate from a 2 year community college. He/she needs to attend and graduate from a TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL, undergo on-job training and then join the relevant UNION.

COLLEGE? Does Washington know how many college graduates are now unemployed? Are they even AWAKE in Washington,DC?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I was reading a thread on another forum recently that asked 'What do you wish you'd learned in high school?".

The number one answer was personal finance and it was quickly followed by basic home repair. The conversation took an interesting turn to "my dad could fix anything...... I just buy a new one, or call a repairman when it breaks...... which destroys my personal finances....."

A book I'm reading right now is (kind of) about college home economics programs in the 1940s. One of the assignments is to tear down and rebuild a refrigerator!

Maybe we'll see a return of practical skills being valued.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:23 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
One of the assignments is to tear down and rebuild a refrigerator!

Maybe we'll see a return of practical skills being valued.

Or we'll get a noticable jump in the candidates for the Darwin Award by people tackling electronics and appliances to complex for their own good to repair. Confused
RABEL222

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:37 am
@tsarstepan,
Why in the hell do you think they are educating them but to keep them from injuring themselves. The first thing they learn is unplug it!!!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 12:12 pm
@boomerang,
I once was very active in promoting union apprenticeship programs to prepare young people, who are not planning to go to college, to learn a trade that will give them opportunities to earn a good living. I always thought it is one of best education things unions do.

One of my goals was to open opportunities for young women to be accepted into the programs so that they not only could earn a good living, they could learn to fix things around the house, car, etc.

When I was raising my daughter and son, I taught my son how to cook and manage a household while I taught my daughter to fix things around the house, including working on a car. It has served them well as they've gotten older. An extra benefit is that now they can fix things for me now that I'm disabled. I was not a dumb mom. Wink

BBB

RABEL222

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 10:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My God BBB. You want men to cook. Next you will be insisting we wash dishes. thats unamerican!!!!
roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know what you mean. Back in 1990, I could do a decent though slow job of repairing an automobile, at least those that were eight or more years old at the time. Somewhere between then and now, I lost the ability to see the engine, and it looks like I'm going to need professional help the first time I need to replace a headlight. Can't begin to see how to get to it, and I kind of suspect the brakes have some kind of computer thing hidden away in there somewhere.

Once they start molding microprocessors into the toaster, the old home repair thing kind of goes out the window. The things we could fix 30 years ago are just not made to be repaired - by anyone.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:57 pm
@roger,
I just had a wheel bearing go bad. Took it to my mechanic. $241 for a new hub. Seems the thing has some sensors in it. Cant go down to the hardware store and get a bearing.
roger

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 01:09 am
@RABEL222,
What will they think of next?

When I was working, we had a Jeep Cherokee diagnosed with a bad flywheel sensor. Apparently, it was just what it sounded like. A sensor to tell you the crankshaft was rotating. Still, it was cheaper that the setup GE uses on their steam turbines to tell you the turbine was rotating.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 09:45 am
@RABEL222,
Yep, my son is a very good cook in the kitchen and outside on the grill.

BBB
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 11:07 am
@roger,
Quote:
What will they think of next?

Microchip sensors in bed linen and bath towels perhaps? The average cheapskate wouldn't know how to properly stitch them up and fix them if they ever tear I guess.

As for cars? Microchip sensors in the 1 gallon size cupholder in order to remind the driver he or she needs a refill on the soda.
0 Replies