Wonder if it's normal to take everything literally

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 03:27 am
When I was in grade school, my teachers said be nice and everyone will like you. I took it literally and thought EVERYONE will like me if I act a certain way. Whenever even one person didn't like me, I thought something was wrong. However, I can't say anything bc it would cause me humiliation, so I just cursed people out. It wasn't until college that I finally knew nobody is liked by everyone and it is when someone told me. Still, I couldn't accept that bc old habits die hard.

At work, when a coworker didn't like me, it didn't matter everyone else did. I just HAD to have the one last girl. I spent a whole hour begging and paying her $$$ on my days off. They called the office on me. Sometimes I would stare at her. Also, my rage outlet, I cursed out coworkers and got written up. I even had the gall to scream at my boss in front of customers and coworkers. And I did that bc all these years b4, my teacher said be nice and everyone will like you. I took it literally even at 9.

Note: I don't take things literally now and haven't since middle school. But what happened in grade school is still affecting me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,959 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:43 am
Well, your teacher was trying to teach a CHILD the Golden Rule.

As ADULTS who function in the real world we soon learn that how people treat each other is highly subjective. The only thing is to do is to treat ourselves kindly, expect nothing from others.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:20 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
It has nothing to do with your grade school teacher. It has everything to do with the symptoms of your mental illness, DD. You know this and you know what resources are available to you so you get the needed help.

Get off of the obsessive treadmill and seek help so you can start enjoying your life again. Stop getting in your own way.
0 Replies

ChrisH00

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:23 pm
@PUNKEY,
How about treat yourself AND others kindly? Looks like someone's mom forgot to tell them something. And here you are proselytizing your indifference to people seeking help. You must be proud of yourself. I hope you see this.
0 Replies