I was just thinking...

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:55 pm
@chai2,
When I was in England in the 60's, they always played the national anthem at the end of the films.

So, many left the cinema quite early, namely at the begin of the end credits.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:57 pm
@Foofie,
Well, yeah, that was the idea.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hey, when I was in school they played some kind of bugle call at the start of the day. If you came in late, you were supposed to stand at attention till the thing was finished. I recall coming in late (again), and just as I made it through the gate, a large delivery truck was entering. I was able to make it almost to the classroom using the truck as mobile concealment. I think the driver was in cahoots with me.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:05 pm
Every Saturday my brothers and I walked to the Mayfair theater to catch the kids matinee. It was the greatest value I have ever seen at the movies. I don't recall the price of admission, because my older brother was the banker. But I got in free, because I did traffic patrol in school. For an interminable time they played Stars and Stripes Forever and similar music, I think to drown out the noisy kids. Finally, there was the National Anthem. After that came the silly stuff - Three Stooges, Little Rascals. Feature films, such as Mickey Rooney as Huck Finn. Then cowboys - usually Gene Autry, Roy Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy. Finally a more grown up picture. It is where I saw King Kong. That movie scared the kid next to me so badly that he left the theater. I myself had to watch the beast through just my peripheral vision. It was glorious.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:09 pm
@roger,
Roger, your tale reminds me of a time I came back an hour and a half late from leave from the Navy. By some fluke, I was counted 'present' at the morning roll call. I was in the clear, but my pal convinced me to tell on myself. They discussed how to punish me, but in the end let me alone.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:13 pm
Whenever I think about Saturday matinees when I was a little kid, I think of Viceroy Cigarettes.

After the movies where over, my brothers (who were in charge of me) and I would go across the street to the laundromat. I remember the laudromat as being all white and pink, but kind of grungey.
From there, my brothers would use the pay phone to call my mother to pick us up (it was pretty far away) It was always raining, because we were only allowed to go to the movies if it was raining (my father was big on making hay while the sun shone, or rather, pumping gas to fishing boats while the sun shone). Maybe that's why I like rainy days so much...heh.

Anyway, while we were waiting in the white and pink laundramat, with the gray cloudy sky outside, and wet lino inside, I would gravitate over to the old cigarette machine (it looked old even then) I would develop my OCD by pulling on all the knobs individually, and in a specific order.
I was absolutely enthralled by the Viceroy cigarette pack.

I would think about how sir walter raleigh wore that ruff around his neck, and in my mind that made him a viceroy. It was also because I knew that he laid his cloak out for some lady to walk on, so she wouldn't get muddy. I would then look out the window wondering what would happen if the viceroy put his cloak down in the gutter. I thought it would be really something else to step on his clock, but I could never figure out how to do that where my food wouldn't just push the cloak down and the water run over it and get my foot wet.

Some things are just meant to be mysteries.

http://www.lib.unc.edu/spotlight/images/raleighportrait.jpg
chai2

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:14 pm
man, after reading that post, I just realized I gotta lay off the peyote.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

man, after reading that post, I just realized I gotta lay off the peyote.

Or else give the rest of us some.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:18 pm
@chai2,
But you get a vote up from moi..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Or else give the rest of us some.

edgar.....

why is your face melting?

I hear jimmy hendrix playing the national anthem
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:35 pm
@chai2,
Gosh, chai, you're a romantic! Wink
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 01:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
out of the blue experiences that pop into our heads.

Sometimes I wonder.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 02:35 am

This thread got me to look into what they had in the old days.
I was just looking at old docus and adverticements on films from the old days.
How different they were from what we get to see now.
Here is one from 1924 when Mary Pickford and Doughlas Fairbank visited Stockholm
You see more of other people than them.
Marabou is a famous chockolate, which got to delivere to Grand Hotel where they stayed. Hidden adverticing in those days.

http://www.filmarkivet.se/sv/Film/?movieid=24&returnurl=http://www.filmarkivet.se/sv/Sok/?q%3dsverige%26minyear%3d1900%26maxyear%3d2010%26page%3d2
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 11:12 am
@saab,
Thanks for sharing that short film. Two things came to mind as I watched it. The first being that before sound on films, theaters showed pictures with live piano music. The second is the spats that Douglas Fairbanks wore.
0 Replies