Is there a danger in the water we drink?

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 01:52 am

Taiwan's bottled water has run into trouble, removed from the shelf of supermarket.

I used to drink table water, because I dislike the odor of boiled tap water. Even if I don't care about the odor, the question remains: is the tap water safe?

I don't know how a city's waste water treatment system works. There are many labs run molecular biology experiments. The researchers dump PCR gel electrophoresis liquid into water tanks after their experiments. How the water treatment system gets rid of the poisonous micromolecules contained in the dumped liquid?

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:15 pm
@oristarA,
   http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Kaohsiung_City_logo.svg/120px-Kaohsiung_City_logo.svg.png                            Dont know about Taipei or any other city, but Kaohsiungs water was a bit affected from the recapture of the oil refineries at the end of WWII. I had several teams of people working on the problem and we set up clean up systems and relocated water systems for the burgeoning city and port area. Where is the source of tha bottled water?
I dont think a little elctrophoresis gel or PCR gel would affect the water because some of the same stuff in the gel is actually used as a water treatment agent for ion exchange. Even if it were acrylamide gel, so very little is used (its usually just a "thin layer" on glass)
drdooby

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:15 pm
@farmerman,
HOW do you remove the plastic bpa from your bottled water ? boil? let it sit? is it possible at all?
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:21 pm
@drdooby,
if its non conservative, A filter with Activated Charoal will remove most of it. However , if its conservative, youd need to react it because GAC would only get about20%.

Im not familiar with work on the toxicity of bpa. (Im sure someone will look it up)
0 Replies

peterson1111

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 01:31 am
@oristarA,
I don't know how a city's waste water treatment system works. There are many labs run molecular biology experiments. The researchers dump PCR gel electrophoresis liquid into water tanks after their experiments.
Miller

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 12:04 pm
@peterson1111,
After polymerization, the gel is now longer considered to be toxic.

Yes, the gels after analysis are either stored in a solvent or just dumped into the trash.

I've worked mainly with the rods, and at times I've used the slabs...I don't care for the latter, however.
0 Replies

Jaysonw

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:14 pm
Using vast quantities of fossil fuels and water, these bottles are manufactured, filled, and shipped around the globe. (Not a good carbon footprint!) Neither are bottles biodegradable in any meaningful way: what you drink in a few minutes can stick around for a thousand years.

Even with recycling efforts, 6 out of 7 plastic bottles consumed in the U.S. are “down cycled”—sent somewhere out of sight and out of mind where, for the next millennia, toxins from degrading plastic containers can leach into watersheds and soil. That’s just not something we need to give to global neighbors and future generations.
0 Replies