Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 09:00 am
do you believe that these myths are true?
If you have a dream about somebody it means that they thought about you a lot the night before.
If you dream the same dream more than once it's sure to come true.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,084 • Replies: 16

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 09:18 am
@ddominique,
No.

If they were true, they wouldn't be myths.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:06 am
@ddominique,
Nope

Quote:
If you have a dream about somebody it means that they thought about you a lot the night before.

If you dream about somebody it usually means that YOU thought about the person, or something that relates to you about this person.

Quote:

If you dream a dream more than once it usually means that the meaning of the dream (which is not always evident to the dreamer) is very relevant to the dreamer.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:20 am
@ddominique,
Dreams are only about the one who dreamed them, no one else.

Read something about the studies done by Frederick (Fritz) Perls.

Joe(sweet dreams)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 11:11 am
@ddominique,
Quote:

How many people have the same dream of flying (sans plane or other technical assistance)? Countless. How many actually have the ability to fly (sans plane or other technical assistance)? None that I am aware of.

No on both counts.
0 Replies

ddominique

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:04 am
@Setanta,
I don't know about that. Many myths can be true.
Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 09:29 am
@ddominique,
If they're true, they're not myths.
Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 09:33 am
From Merriam-Webster-dot-com

Quote:
a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon
b : parable, allegory
a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs> b : an unfounded or false notion
: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence
0 Replies

ddominique

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 10:32 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
If they're true, they're not myths.

Not necessarily. All myths can be true, but not all truths can be myths. My reasoning for this is because since a myth is a belief, it can indeed be true. For example: lets use the myth that when you die, you can go to heaven if worthy. This is a myth, but it can be true. And if it is proven true, it can still be a myth because of other people's beliefs and experiences that can counteract it.
Additionally, since a myth is a belief or idea, and since a belief is one's opinion, and since an opinion can be a fact, I can tell you this. Any belief can be a truth.
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 03:12 am
@ddominique,
We don't get to define words as it suits us, because then communication is doomed. The common, accepted definition of myth involves little or no truth.

This is the Merriam-Webster online dictionary definition of myth:

a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b : parable, allegory
a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs> b : an unfounded or false notion
: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence
: the whole body of myths

Most of the other definitions from online disctionaries seem to have been lifted from Merriam-Webster.

Once again, if it's true, it's not a myth. If something is speculated upon, and then proven, it ceases to be a myth. Good luck with that heaven bullshit.
ddominique

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:03 am
@Setanta,
I don't need defignitions to words. I need facts and evidence from you to support your claims.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:17 am
I claim that myth is not true. I've provided evidence for that. Why don't you put your money where your big, snotty, rude mouth is?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:18 am
By the way, your "needs" are a matter of complete indifference to me, especially in view of your shitty attitude.
ddominique

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:38 am
@Setanta,
Wow. Where did that come from? I just asked you to give me reasons why your correct. In calling a story a myth we are expressing no opinion about whether it is true or not. If you think that the myth isn't true, just support yourself. To prove yourself is not so mush as my "needs" as it is yours to help support your case.

Just trying to help. Don't need to be like that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 10:01 am
Yes, when calling a story a myth anyone who speaks standard English is expressing an opinion--the opinion that the story is doubtful. You don't get to have your own definitions.

You wrote:
I don't need defignitions to words. I need facts and evidence from you to support your claims.

That was snotty. My claim is that myths are not the truth, and i've provided evidence for that. Apparently, you only want to hear answers that confirm what you are prepared to believe. You've already been given a good answer to your opening questions:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Nope

Quote:

If you dream about somebody it usually means that YOU thought about the person, or something that relates to you about this person.

Quote:

If you dream a dream more than once it usually means that the meaning of the dream (which is not always evident to the dreamer) is very relevant to the dreamer.

You just didn't like the answer, and think that you can somehow insist on something else.

Good luck with that.
ddominique

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2011 02:53 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You wrote:

That was snotty.

Well, actually that wasn't being snotty. That was just a suggestion I had to help you. You may think that it's snotty or mean, but what do you think you are saying then? Nice things? I don't think you have the best manners yourself when you talk like this in the quotes below.

Quote:
I claim that myth is not true. I've provided evidence for that. Why don't you put your money where your big, snotty, rude mouth is?

Or this quote I love.

Quote:
By the way, your "needs" are a matter of complete indifference to me, especially in view of your shitty attitude.

I don't know about you, but I don't think that's so polite to say. What I said was never to be mean. Just helpful to you.

Quote:
You just didn't like the answer, and think that you can somehow insist on something else.

Do you read minds? If you do, that's awsome. I wish I had those powers. Cause you act like you think you know what I'm thinking.

I never said at any point that I think the myths are true or that I wish they were true. So don't come to conclusions and say that I am counteracting you just because of what I want to believe and that I'm disappointed. There is no proof of they are truths. However, there is also nothing proving that they are false either. That's what makes them myths. And when you say that there is no myth on this entire earth that isn't true you must be mistaken because there is one very solid one that i've already mentioned that can in fact be both a myth and a truth.

Hope this helps.
Have a good evening.
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 12:02 am
@ddominique,
Myths help people translate dreams into tangible social wishes and as such can be as real as religious figures.

As with comic books, many people find that mythology avatars gain literary weight when found in the field of villains and demons, since such avatars create images of angst and struggle.

The American extra-marital scandal involving teenager Amy Fisher and Italian-American married man Joey Buttafuoco which resulted in the murder attempt of Buttafuoco's wife was widely publicized in the media and lifted Fisher and Buttafuoco to infamous, even mythological proportions. The deification-psychological Hollywood (USA) movie "Celebrity" (1998) explores this natural 'folklore' phenomenon.

I myself am a big fan of mythological comic book fable avatars such as Batman (a vigilante who tackles the criminally insane) and Chef Smurf (a delightful villager who uplifts everyone with enchanting delicacies).
0 Replies