Tornado on Ground in Springfield, Massachusetts

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 03:51 pm
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/torando-west-springfield-mass_2011-06-01

Camera Captures Tornado in Springfield, Mass.
by Jess Baker
A tornado has been spotted on the ground in Springfield, Massachusetts. It was captured on a television tower cam around 4:40 p.m.Wednesday afternoon. The camera shows damage to trees and homes in West Springfield.

At one point, the tornado crossed the Connecticut River, flipping a semi-truck that was on an area bridge.

Bob Einzig was in the area and saw the tornado. He told the Weather Channel's Carl Parker that "it looked like it went right through downtown."

Dennis Leger of the Springfield Fire Department, said hundreds of houses were damaged, and thousands of trees down. A lot of streets were blocked, and many cars were flipped, causing a traffic snarl during rush hour.

A second tornado, south of the first, hit Sturbridge, where vehicles were reported overturned on I-84. That storm is headed south of Boston.

Severe Weather Expert Dr. Greg Forbes detected a debris ball on radar.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 03:54 pm
Warnings cancelled - watches now in effect.

Statement as of 5:46 PM EDT on June 01, 2011

... The Tornado Warning for southeastern Hampden... northern
Providence... southwestern Norfolk... southern Worcester... northeastern
Windham and extreme northeastern Tolland counties is cancelled...

A Tornado Watch remains in effect until 800 PM EDT Wednesday evening
for northern Connecticut and Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire
and central Rhode Island.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 03:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Icky skeery-lookin' stuff comin':
http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/Brighton+MA+02135?from=36hr_maps&zoom=8&interactiveMapLayer=radar&animation=true
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 04:02 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for the more detailed map, that helps figure out what city names the Yankee accents are saying. Wink
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:18 pm
I have a friend that was directly in the tornado zone and she said it was crazy and felt like it lasted forever. It is about an hour away from us but our tornado warnings have been lifted.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:52 pm
Gov. Patrick just declared a state of emergency.

TV is full of what-to-do.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:56 pm
@George,
as long as he doesn't pre-empt da broonz... http://www.highway12ventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bruins.gif
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:57 pm
Tornado watch in effect until 11:00 for all of eastern Mass except
the Cape & the islands.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 06:14 pm
A co-worker's daughter lives in Springfield, Massaachusetts. He's calling her now.
Thanks for the info.

---

His daughter is fine, talks about big hail balls.
Now I have to calm the man: he insists we must publish a picture of a faraway, not very deadly tornado.
The importance of a news item is directly relative to personal closeness.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:10 pm
Amazing light show going on right now.
Lots and lots of lightning.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
On news on the Milford area (East of Springfield) yet? My father lives in Mendon, MA. An hour East of Springfield.
Crazielady420

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Err I hate thunder, storms are here now! There have been four confirmed deaths so far and several injuries. So sad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think everything started in Springfield and moved North and East.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:50 pm
@George,
That lightning was amazing - it was near-constant flickering for a long time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:59 pm
I hear planes flying over-head again, the lightning has let up. At least for now.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:00 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/US/massachusetts-rocked-multiple-tornadoes-including-city-springfield-possibly/story?id=13737522

By BEN FORER and MICHAEL S. JAMES
June 1, 2011

Multiple tornadoes slammed Massachusetts, destroying buildings, flipping vehicles and leaving at least four people dead.

The Massachusetts twisters hit as unstable weather threatened the entire Northeast, bringing tornado watches to Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

The situation in western and central Massachusetts was so bad that Gov. Deval Patrick declared a statewide state of emergency, calling up 1,000 members of the National Guard.

Two of the four fatalities in Massachusetts occurred in Westfield, and there was one each in West Springfield and Brimfield, officials said.

Two tornado touchdowns were confirmed -- one in the Springfield area and a larger one in the Westfield area, Patrick said.

ABC News Boston affiliate WCVB earlier reported additional tornadoes confirmed in the Massachusetts communities of Wilbraham, Monson and Oxford.

Patrick said at least 19 Massachusetts communities were affected by the twisters.

"Motorists should be off the roads," Patrick said. "There are downed limbs, downed wires. We have reports of as many as 26,000 people without electrical service. There may be and likely [will] be more before this is all over."

One tornado ripped through downtown Springfield, Mass., and into its suburbs around 4:35 p.m. today, knocking down trees and destroying buildings. There were reports of injures and people trapped by debris in the city of about 150,000 residents 90 miles west of Boston.

Baystate Medical Center in Springfield was treating numerous injured people, some with serious force trauma injuries, spokeswoman Jane Albert told The Associated Press.

Roads were impassable in the hardest-hit areas and people were stuck in their cars because of downed power lines, state police said. Rescue operations were underway citywide.

Cameras on buildings trained on the western part of Springfield showed broken trees, roof damage and overturned trucks. All police units were responding to the downtown area.

Video and pictures of apparent tornadoes in Springfield and elsewhere in western Massachusetts showed funnel clouds, swirling winds and debris flying through the air.

Betsy Hogan was on Springfield's Memorial Bridge when the tornado hit.

"I was at the halfway mark on the bridge and the tractor trailer in front of me flipped right over," she told WGGB. "I'm still shaking. ... Once that tractor trailer went I thought I was going to go too.

"Trees were down all over the place on Memorial and windows were blown out," she added.

Cassie Moore also was stuck on the bridge to West Springfield and sheltered the driver of the overturned truck in her compact car.

"It was the most frightening thing of my life," she told WGGB.

"The truck just started shaking and blew right over on its side," Moore said. "My little ... Honda Civic was just shaking and shaking and I thought, 'If this truck is going to be blown over, I'm going to go in the river.'"

Louis Vega hustled diners to the center of the restaurant where he works in Springfield just as the storm blew in.

"No sooner than I ran back in the restaurant and warned everybody the tornado was coming it just hit like that," he said. "Windows started breaking, trees started coming down, roofs started coming off and it's pretty scary."

West Springfield Tornado Damage: 'Like King Kong Took a Walk'

Skip Hynd described the scene across the river on Main Street in West Springfield, Mass.

"It looked like King Kong took a walk through there," he said. "Every side street is just about impassable."

In Westfield, Mass., downed trees marked the twister's path.

"There's a lot of trees down in Westfield," said Jim Wiggs of Westfield Emergency Management. "We do have a missing part of the roof of a school. There's property damage up in the eastern part of the city. There's some property damage. We're still receiving some reports of trees falling on houses and power lines down throughout the city. It's an absolute, its a mess."

There have been an average of two tornadoes per year in Massachusetts since 1950, though none since 2008, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The last fatalities from a tornado in the state were in 1995, when three died and 24 were injured by an EF4 tornado.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:07 pm
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/2011/0602/28101565_640X480.jpg

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/2011/0602/28101740_640X480.jpg

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/2011/0601/28100982_640X480.jpg

BOSTON -- Four people were killed on Wednesday as at least five tornadoes spurred by a band of powerful and destructive thunderstorms tore across Massachusetts, state officials said.
Tornadoes were confirmed in Springfield, Wilbraham, Westfield, Monson and Oxford.

Two people were killed in the Westfield storm, one in West Springfield and one in Brimfield, according to the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency's Peter Judge.

Scores of injuries in Springfield were confirmed by state police, including about two dozen people who were being treated at Mercy Hospital and 10 at Bay State Medical Center. State police said five people being treated at Bay State were seriously injured and required surgery.

Storm spotters and residents said they also saw tornadoes in West Springfield, Agawam, Brimfield, Charlton, Millbury, Palmer and Sturbridge. Those tornadoes have not been confirmed.

At 7:15 p.m., WCVB-TV's Mary Saladna said she saw a funnel cloud moving through Sturbridge from Palmer. She said the sky grew very dark and the wind was "ferocious." She was not sure if the funnel cloud actually touched down.

"If it didn't make it, it was trying," she said.
The western Massachusetts tornado was reported at 4:35 p.m. on Shaker Road in Westfield moving toward Springfield, by local law enforcement officials who were alerted by amateur radio operators, the NWS said.

A few minutes later, cameras on buildings along the Connecticut River in Springfield caught a swirling, vertical cloud of debris and water moving south along the river. It crossed over Memorial Bridge, which is Route 20, before dissipating.

When the cloud of debris cleared, the camera's view showed broken trees, building damage and an overturned truck on the bridge.
Some buildings in downtown Springfield were heavily damaged, and crumbled chunks of bricks that once made up the upper floors were in heaps on the street below.

The state police said they are using a specially trained team and K-9 units to search damaged structures looking for anyone who may be trapped.

"It was crazy. The wind was whipping out of control. We tried to follow it," said Westfield's Al St. Jean, who saw the churning clouds.

In Monson, houses were destroyed, roofs ripped off, cars tossed around and trees toppled. There were injuries reported in the small western Massachusetts town, but the extent was not immediately known.

A WCVB Facebook fan who lives in Upton said she found debris from Monson, which is 50 miles away.

Experts from the NWS were expected to survey the damage on Thursday to confirm where tornadoes touched down, and to determine their intensity. Unlike hurricanes where storm strength is measured by wind speed, meteorologists examine damage left in the wake of a tornado to rate their strength.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/weather/28094256/detail.html#ixzz1O525acBK

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:08 pm
This is a cool video. You can clearly see the physical nature of a tornado as the vortex starts sucking up water and debris as it crosses the Connecticut river.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/28099922/detail.html
jespah

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 03:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Neat - better to look at that than the damage pics. Lotsa lightning and thunder last night - I'm with CL - I'm no fan of either even during a regular downpour. Today, the temp dropped like a rock.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 02:48 pm
There were a couple of dumbfounding stories mentioned today. One, debris from the gym that broke up was found wrapped around telephone poles 10s of miles away. Another was that a check register was found 90 miles from it's owner who was contacted by the person who found it.
0 Replies