Things you never need to buy.

chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:47 pm
I was reading a book a while back, where the main character was reading some papers her lawyer gave her, and she took off the paper clip and put it in her pocket. She mentioned that "paper clips are something you should never buy"

Now, this person had a lot of problems in her life, not least of which was being one of the 2 survivors when her family were all killed when she was 7. But it gave me pause.

What are some of the things you don't think you should ever have to buy?
I don't mean the "save the planet and don't buy paper towels" type of stuff, but just things that you come across on a regular enough basis that there's no need to buy it.

I'll start.

Note pads.
Why buy them when we all get plenty of junk mail, and can use the backs of envelopes?

Paper napkins.
When I get take away, they almost always put way more napkins in the sack than I can use. A lot of times when I eat something, I don't even use a napkin, so it's there for next time.

Rubber bands. I don't use many of them, but there's always one around the fresh asparagus, and if you're buying something at the store that might pop open, they put a rubber band around it.

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:52 pm
pens.
My bank gave me tons
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:58 pm
My sister is a waitress.

She hasn't bought the items that go in a salad for years. She doesn't steal it, The restaurant has to throw out whatever is left over at the end of the night, which might only be an hour old. It's there for anyone to take, whoever wants it.

Years ago, I watched a talk show that featured large families. They talked in part how they made it work financially.
One of the fathers was the owner of a McDonalds franchise. Although he paid for the items, it was at a much lower rate than at the store.
Besides the obvious hamburger (we're talking long before McDonalds served salad, yougurt, fancy coffee etc.) They never had to buy things like:

Eggs, english muffins (other bread as well, they at buns), OJ, tea, coffee, sausage, bacon, salt, pepper, milk, toilet paper, cleaning products, potatoes, ketchup, mustard, napkins, ice cream, etc. etc.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:02 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

pens.
My bank gave me tons

How about lollipops?
Does your bank give you lollipops?

Small trash bags. We all have plastic grocery bags.
Gift bags. I've got a dozen of them from stuff other people gave me.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:02 pm
@shewolfnm,
Paper Clips, for sure. My bank has a basket full of them behind the counter.
Calandars. Insurance agents, banks and vendors send those out. Ugly, often, but free.
Wash cloths. I get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months. The hygienist gives me a hot wash cloth at the end. For reasons of cost or liability, they don't wash and reuse them. Great for cleaning around the house.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
If you've stayed at the hospital, you leave with several pairs of those footie socks, with the slip free bottoms.

I think I got a pair when I had a colonoscopy (or was it when I had a D&C?).

Oh....nightgowns/pajamas.

You don't have T-shirts from God knows when?
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months.

Does your dentist give you toothpaste, floss and a toothbrush when you leave?

How about those little toy plastic rings? No need to buy much jewelry when you have a collection of those.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:13 pm
@chai2,
calculators

manicure sets

disposable cameras

mini maglites

rulers

laptop cases

pens/pencils

spray hand sanitizer

luggage tags

jump drives

mouse pads

hard candies

foldup reusable shopping bags with zippered pockets

pens that have flashlights and hiliters attached

~~~~

I got more of most of those than I could use in a lifetime (other than the sanitizer, maybe) at the last industry trade show. They handed out bags to get us started - you wouldn't be able to lift the bag if you actually filled it with junk.

Some of the stuff makes great stocking stuffer add-ins.

The pens came in handy a little while back, when someone approached me on the bus in the morning - a teacher, needed to finish marking papers - needed a pen that she wouldn't be returning. Here - have a pen and a hiliter and some stickie tabs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:19 pm
@chai2,
I've had a bad month with exceptionally low money, not that I wasn't low money before. Nutrients matter. It's been near thirty days since I have bought groceries, never mind some booze. Big times ahead at the early part of the new month.

On booze, it turns out I don't care long term, but I remember liking it.

I've learned a lot, working through my cupboard. I'm even approaching packaged Spelt.

chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not one for food samples at the store, but one could make a fairly good snack on a weekend at some places.

Wow, I'm going to have to sneak into some trade shows ehbeth.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:45 pm
@chai2,
I used to belong to the art materials trade group and would go or send someone to the shows. 6000 stores belonged, but now down to about 900. The show was held in Phoenix a couple weeks ago, and while vendors are trying to put on a brave face, privately I am told attendance was just plain awful.
Are trade shows obsolete?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:48 pm
@chai2,
That is wry, and mocking.

I've spent the last month hungry. I'm two weeks into little protein. I know others here have lived with this. Rockhead, probably, but also others of us.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:53 pm
@ossobuco,
WTF?

I wasn't mocking you, I was serious.

If I was hungry, I'd go to a fair, or grocery store, and get some food to eat.
How about the food bank?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:01 pm
@chai2,
You'd go to the fair? How would you get to that fair?
What food bank and how far away?'
You speak as a princess.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:11 pm
I don't ever buy t-shirts.

still got a closet full of promo car shirts.

and every concert I work, I get a free shirt, too.

and since I don't like sleeves, I don't ever buy polishing cloths either...

Osso, I think you are reading something into chai's words that isn't there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:14 pm
I like Chai.
Getting to the fair can be a problem.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
There's a church 3 or 4 blocks from my house that serves free breakfasts twice a week.
There a Whole Foods a mile from my house that has free food on weekends ever few feet.
Near the library there's a group of people that show up with hot meals and hands them out to people in need.
There's festivals within walking distance every weekend around here, with food samples available, and farmers markets.
If I were a senior, I could take a bus to the food bank back and forth for $1.00

I have no idea what's near you.

I'm sorry you're hungry, but I didn't say anything that I wouldn't be willing to do, or haven't done myself.

I just looked, and spelt is a complete protein, containing all 8 amino acids, so you might want to cook some up tonight.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
gas prices keep me home more than not.

this economy is taxing all of us...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:19 pm
@chai2,
I've learned to like quinoa...

(don't think I can grow it, but I ain't ruled it out yet...)
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:22 pm
@Rockhead,
There's 2 kinds of quinoa, white and red.

The red is cheaper.

hey, I just found this site, it tells you how to grow all kinds of ****...

http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/guidetogrowingquinoa.html