Things you never need to buy.

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:27 pm
@msolga,
I have been letting the last of the summer's flowering plants go to seed in the Fall to collect and save the seeds and then I spread them around to new areas. I've got some new dianthus, marigolds, holyhocks and pansies growing from last year's seed pods.

Last Fall, there were a few over-ripe cherry tomatoes on the plants so I yanked them off and buried them in the manure I top coated the garden with. It seems quite a few of them survived and now we have volunteer tomato plants popping up all over the place this season.
msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:27 pm
@chai2,
Oh I'll bet you were popular, chai! Smile

I love it when people do things like that.
At work there are often excess lemons from someone's trees which I help myself to.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:28 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Nothing is near me (don't get me started) but I'll pay attention, and maybe bfn can help - but she has enough to do as it is.

Butrfly offered to drive you, according to her, the place is only 3.5 miles away.
Since she offered, I'm sure she has the time to take you.

If someone offers help, take it.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:31 pm
@ossobuco,
They don't care whether or not you are Catholic.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:35 pm
@chai2,
my pond garden is full of plants that my friend has weeded out from his jungle.

he likes it that they get a special place at my house...

perennials are our friends.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
It doesn't take all that much effort on your part, does it, Butrflynet, once you get the hang of plants & gardens? It took me a while, I must confess.

I knew this woman who created an entire (sizable) garden from cuttings. (apart from one tall blood plum tree which was already growing at her new home.) She had a particular love of fuchsias & propagated them over the years. I had no idea there were so many different varieties! Amazing garden, she had!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:42 pm
@msolga,
You never run out of things to learn about gardening, MsO. There is always something new. Experimenting and overcoming failures is part of the fun. I'm not in good physical shape so it takes me awhile to get things done, but I keep plugging away at it and the gardens are finally starting to show some of the work put into them.

Moving from California to New Mexico has started the learning process all over again for me since they are totally different environments.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:51 pm
I quit buying leftover containers.

I go through about 3 quarts of yogurt a week now.

the stack is gonna require a new usage soon...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
You never run out of things to learn about gardening, MsO. There is always something new.

Oh I know, I know, Butrflynet!
Quote:
Experimenting and overcoming failures is part of the fun.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends. Wink
Good on you for achieving what you have!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:56 pm
One last comment before I go ....

We don't really need to buy many of the things that we thought we had to buy.

Since I've been living on a much tighter budget, many of the things I'd thought were essentials aren't at all ....

When you have to do some really serious belt tightening you certainly find out what the real essentials are!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:12 pm
@Rockhead,
You can imagine they will be the last I'd ask -
Still, I suppose much of my neighborhood are parishioners.

On catholics being real folks, I agree, that is my background, the laity and the priests. I've argued with jesuits.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 08:56 pm
Just thought of something else I don't buy these days - books. (excluding cookbooks! Embarrassed Wink But I buy a lot fewer of them than about 10 years ago, believe me. Way too expensive & I surely have all I need now? )
These days I use my local library for most of my reading material.
And I like the "read it & pass it on to someone else, who'll pass it on to someone else" ad infinitum ... practice. A lot less paper wasted that way!
I seriously wonder what made me keep so many books on my shelves for years, for so long. Far better if someone else can read them & I can read their books in exchange. Then give them to the next person.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I'm not a big pope fan, but most of his people down on the street are pretty damn real folks...

Ain't that the truth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 02:43 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Just thought of something else I don't buy these days - books. (excluding cookbooks! Embarrassed Wink But I buy a lot fewer of them than about 10 years ago, believe me. Way too expensive & I surely have all I need now? )
These days I use my local library for most of my reading material.
And I like the "read it & pass it on to someone else, who'll pass it on to someone else" ad infinitum ... practice. A lot less paper wasted that way!
I seriously wonder what made me keep so many books on my shelves for years, for so long. Far better if someone else can read them & I can read their books in exchange. Then give them to the next person.

You're inspiring me!

But I mainly buy e books now....just e bought Beyond White Guilt and likely to go the same way with The Roving Party.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 03:51 am
@Rockhead,
Both Catholic Social Services and Lutheran Social Services show charity and compassion without regard to religious confession. I say that based on my experience working with homeless families in "the charity industry."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:08 am
Sorry for being all about me and snarky to boot, derailing a good thread. Aaack. I go into distress mode once in a while.

On not buying stuff, I save tinfoil, just like my mother did Rolling Eyes. I've done that somewhat all along, but now I'm more adamant about reuse and reuse again. I reuse the plastic bags that some products come in (like dried fruit). I use paper towels, but at something like 1/20th the rate I did just a few years ago. I use glass jars (from pickles, etc) for freezer/refrig containers - prefer them to plastic anyway.

djjd62

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:11 am
@Butrflynet,
i let all my plants go to seed near the end of the season and collect seeds, marigolds, columbine, morning glory

plus the birds plant lots of sunflowers from the winter feeders
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:16 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I use glass jars (from pickles, etc) for freezer/refrig containers - prefer them to plastic anyway.

Is it odd that i never even thought of that? What a great idea! Will totally start doing this.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 08:24 am
@Bella Dea,
I once bought some old fashioned seeming glass containers (Martha Stewart) at our local KMart. Then the light dawned..

Oh, don't fill them up to the very top. Leave a bit of room for expansion of the food item in the freezer compartment.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 09:25 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Quote:
I use glass jars (from pickles, etc) for freezer/refrig containers - prefer them to plastic anyway.

Is it odd that i never even thought of that? What a great idea! Will totally start doing this.

Yeah, just think of all the jars and containers you put in the recycle bin.

Re the plastic coffee containers I mentioned before, here's another use I put them to...
I was giving roland and otis a bath, and although they are good about it, I do everything to make it as stress free (for me as well, as possible).

I filled maybe 3-4 of those coffee containers with warm water, and left them at one end of the tub, by the drain. The bath water I draw for them is lower than the container.
Towards the end of their shampoo, I lean over and open the drain, let the bath water flow out, then use the already filled containers to rinse.
They get freaked by turning the water on, so this works out well.