Arthritis

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:20 pm
Off topic but are you coming to the Cyber Art Salon on Sunday, we have a topic this week and the links to the artist we are going to discuss is posted there.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:20 pm
About fifteen years ago, I developed osteo-arthritis (accumulation of calcium at joint) in my two large toes. The condition hasn't worsened much since then, and the only consequence is that I had to stop playing softfall (can't accelerate off ball of foot) and on very odd occassions, I'll limp for five minutes. There's a rather constant ache, but quite liveable.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:26 pm
I
I work out in a gym every Mon, Wed & Friday. Still at 72 yrs of age & with old injuries & arthritis there is only so much I can do but not bad for the oldest person working out.
The arthritis for me starts from the left ankle, up to the knee, to the hip joint (that was fractured in '89)then to the shoulder & down to the wrist & had ---- all on my left side. Now I must admit I am quite stooped from m/c competions starting way back in '47.
One thing I really count on & know this is a mental thing, but I simply love to ride my motorcycle. I limp out to the bike, fire it up, & then I start rolling like a young man. It takes 3 to 5 yrs before I even start to feel a bit tired & at the end I am feeling so darn good. YET if I just mow the lawn for an hour my left ankle is swollen for two days.
Thing is my motorcycle (three of them & all the same type) is a sportsbike which is very much like a road racing machine. You have probably seen the young people honking along on them & what younger people call them "crotch rockets" YET if you take a look at them the rider is leaned forward on his hands, wrists & shoulders while the feet at tucked up high under his butt. Now I find this more comfortable to ride then driving my truck with bucket seats as the wt is on my spine when driving a truck, but on a sport bike the wt is more evenly distributed. Something I noted back in '49 when we actually started to road race m/cs on the circuits. Makes one wonder I must admit.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:30 pm
Husker, I read that article in Time Magazine, excellent source of information for this debilitating disease.

My mom had osteoarthritis AND rheumatoid arthritis. I only found out via that same article that rheumatoid is an auto-immune disease and is probably caused by a virus. The poor dear had to wait years for the first hp to be replaced, then another couple of years for the second hip, thanks to socialized medicine.

I think we all have arthritis to a certain extent, some worse than others. There are fantastic advancements in medicine today which is comforting to say the least. Fingers and toes can be straightened, knee and hip replacements, spinal epidural injections are also beneficial.

Anti-inflammatory drugs such as Celebrex and Vioxx are wonder drugs of this century for arthritis, but very expensive for the elderly who have no drug coverage with Medicare.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:32 pm
I'm hoping to, Joanne. I just checked in to able2, and haven't checked the art forum yet. I am usually a little lost when I check in. 900 or so posts since I last posted. Read faster, read faster...
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:32 pm
Husker, I read that article in Time Magazine, excellent source of information for this debilitating disease.

My mom had osteoarthritis AND rheumatoid arthritis. I only found out via that same article that rheumatoid is an auto-immune disease and is probably caused by a virus. The poor dear had to wait years for the first hp to be replaced, then another couple of years for the second hip, thanks to socialized medicine.

I think we all have arthritis to a certain extent, some worse than others. There are fantastic advancements in medicine today which is comforting to say the least. Fingers and toes can be straightened, knee and hip replacements, spinal epidural injections are also beneficial.

Anti-inflammatory drugs such as Celebrex and Vioxx are wonder drugs of this century for arthritis, but very expensive for the elderly who have no drug coverage with Medicare.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:55 am
Uh oh. Something must be wrong. Everyone is double posting.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:03 am
wierd
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:31 am
I have osteoarthritis. Have had it for a few years in my right knee.Nasty. This year, the knee problem was joined by OA in both hips. EWWWW. When I sleep in bed, it wakes me up when it's time to turn over to the other side.
AND,it is starting in my hands-I did some heavy shoveling today, and wow! Joints in my fingers ,and at the base of my thumb HURT!
I'm going to rub Tiger Balm into the hurting places.

I do NOT have osteoporosis, which, altho osteo, is a lack of bone density.But have a friend who disenjoys taking Fosamax, once a week. GERD city.

I take nada for my OA. Because tests have proven that NSAIDS have bad effects on our livers with constant use, and aspirin, and Celebrex & the other cox 2 drugs cause stomach bleeding. I've another friend who now has a bleeding ulcer, after constantly takimng a cox2 inhibitor.Don't wanna add insult to injury here!
(Oh, if something is killing me, I'll take some White Willow Bark (natural aspirin). But not continuously.
Exercize is IT.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 07:54 am
you didn't roger....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 08:06 am
I normally get gerd once in a blue moon. Nothing serious. When my pain doctor prescribed Vioxx, two things happened. My legs swelled up like balloons, and I had the nastiest reflux that I had ever encountered. It was so bad, that I had to barf. Never happened to me like that before.

Needless to say, my Vioxx is now in the constantly being filled box of medicines that I DON'T take!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 12:26 pm
Hi, everyone. I have osteoarthritis too, but not very advanced yet. It is in my left hand, and I worry for my right..as I need that right hand a lot. That could be why it is in the left though...I am always drawing and painting, and so on, with my right.

So far so good with my bone density...it is average or slightly above for my age group. Knock on wood.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:20 pm
Great going,Osso!! Good, strong bones!
Arthritis probably won't goto your right hand. It's not a symetrical disease. Although many people get it first in one knee or hip, then the other, these are actually secondary onslaughts, caused by the way we carry ourselves to compensate for the first arthritis.
If you know what I mean.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 09:44 am
Government Report Says Some
Drug Companies Use Deceptive Ads
Misled About Medicine
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:34 pm
Is it true that arthritis has a very high incidence among the Irish?
Does this mean it's genetically determined? Shocked
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:36 pm
My one granddad was not Irish - missed that bullet but the other hit me square head-on.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:59 am
littlek:

Fosamax is not for arthritis. It's used to stimulate bone growth to prevent osteoporosis.
0 Replies