Bob Wells died today.

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:52 pm
I just heard.

Damn.

So sorry Diane, and for all who loved him.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 09:02 pm
@Eva,
I loved him. There is nothing wrong with being cranky. I love me some cranky old guys...not that I thought that of him...at least lately - I saw someone who looked past the outward and could see the inward. That's what I remember the best. Love that about Bob. Maybe initially I was scared of the crusty exterior...but he even reached out to me....which upon reflection is a pretty amazing thing. Wonderful even.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 09:23 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
"...hopefully I won't be remembered on a2k as 'that cranky old guy.' Maybe something like, "Dys, yeah I remember him, he was kinda interesting."

When I first joined A2K, I did think he was a "cranky old guy." In fact, I threw a few barbs his way alluding to that as we inevitably tangled on the politics threads. Back then I didn't know him at all ... and we were tangling in the politics threads. As time went on, I certainly grew fond of him. I regret very much that I never met him in person.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 09:38 pm
I've never thought of Bob as cranky, really.
hingehead

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 09:53 pm
Sad.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 10:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

It's a tradition, chai. A tradition.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 11:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

It's really quite rude of you to "out" him like that, Chai2! Sure, I could add that Bob had a heart of mush and extraordinary kindness. But I don't! Some things just need to stay veiled in silence.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 11:18 pm
@Thomas,
I have a confession to make.
In the early years of A2K Bob (who I thought of as "Dyslexia" then) scared the living daylights outa me!
Honestly.
I thought he was some kind of angry person who might say ... well ....anything .... to you!
So I avoided him like the plague to stay out of his firing line.
It took years to get over my apprehension & to realize that I'd gotten him totally wrong.
Over time he changed from Dyslexia, to dys, to just plain Bob.

OK, so I was a scaredy cat. But if anyone had told me back in the olden days of A2K that he would eventually become a good friend, I simply wouldn't have believed you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:05 am
@msolga,
Yeah; early in our social experience,
Bob n I had some energetic ideological arguments.

David
msolga

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh but I didn't argue with Bob at all, David.
I was initially scared of him & kept my distance! Smile
His opinions didn't bother me at all.
Incredible to find out, sometime down the track, what a kind & gentle soul he actually was.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:29 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Oh but I didn't argue with Bob at all, David.
I was initially scared of him & kept my distance! Smile
His opinions didn't bother me at all.
Incredible to find out, sometime down the track, what a kind & gentle soul he actually was.
I understand. I did not mean to imply that U had argued with him.
I did that. ( I like it. )

Brawling in cyberspace is devoid of fx bones nor teeth.
No hospitals, no police, just competitive fun for those of us who wanna participate.

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 02:44 am
@msolga,
fascinating!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 04:47 am
I think that I understood Bob, right from the getgo. Beneath that crusty exterior, beat the heart of one of the nicest, kindest gentleman that it has been my pleasure to meet.

I remember, once , early on, he apologized to me for an acerbic remark he had made to me. I could not understand why he felt that he needed to apologize. I knew, even then, that I was dealing with a sheep in wolf's clothing!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:10 am
During my first year on A2K (2004), I imagined an A2K Mount Olympus. The people residing there were Dyslexia, Gus, Frank Apisa, Joe Nation, Blatham, Timberlandko (with Dlowan, Jespah, Letty and Phoenix as the goddesses). I once boasted that I had received private messages from BOTH Dyslexia and Gus. Bob immediately responded: "That officially makes you a poopityhead." It was a very big moment for me.
Diane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:19 am
@wandeljw,
Big smile, poopity head. Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:40 am
Bob shared many deep friendships with a2kers. Now I would like to send my condolences and love to all of you. I'm certainly not the only one grieving, his friends are also grieving and will continue to do so for quite a long time.

My love and condolences to you all.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:47 am
Please, please post any memories, stories and/or pics. They all are priceless and so many of you have quotes that only you remember.

I promise to post stories, but life has become a roller coaster and it is so hard to concentrate. My son is coming in today, so maybe I can relax enough to settle down and post some of his wonderful stories.

Just a reminder. Bob was not a saint. He could be a grump, and and old poopity head. I know what an old softy he was, but he would not want to be made ready for sainthood. so if there were any times you remember when he wasn't at his best (without being mean spirited) post those times too. Often, those were the funniest times.
Diane

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:50 am
One more thing, I can never completely express his deep love for all of you. He would talk about good arguments and he would worry about people who were having hard times. We spent hours talking and much of that time was spent on friends, with concern and real caring.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:58 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
if there were any times you remember when he wasn't at his best (without being mean spirited) post those times too.

To be honest, I was dismayed that Bob had a thing for Dennis Kucinich.
Izzie

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:07 am
@Diane,
Hello ((((Diane))))

Diane wrote:

Just a reminder. Bob was not a saint. He could be a grump, and and old poopity head.

something Bob said to me very recently... (and I'm smiling so BIG having just read it after I saw your post)

"just want to let you know, I'm perfect.
bob
"

he made me seriously laugh midst all the turmoil. Wicked sense of humour and a good tonic!

Glad your son will be with you soon. Rest when you can Diane - try and ride out the rollercoaster of emotions... thinking of you... love, hugs x
0 Replies