Bob Wells died today.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:54 pm
@Diane,
How long were u and Bob together, Diane ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

blatham wrote:

The first time Jane (Lola) and I met dys and Dianne (and the others like Fbaezer and Roger attending) was here... http://bit.ly/m0f5N1 That was also the first time Dianne and dys had met. Some of that weekend got so bizarre that the four of us never fully recovered and never wanted to.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:26 pm
@Thomas,
Uh, I was being quiet. I despise August here. And lived as a child in humid Chicago and New York. It is a little cooler in Santa Fe & Taos, it seems.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
It sure is hot in PHOENIX, in August.

David
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:04 pm
Yes cicerone, but this thread is about Bob and not about you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:18 pm
Thinking about Bob on this grey Melbourne Sunday.
But not all my thoughts are sad ones, there are some good ones which make me smile, too:

I remember (not so long ago) Bob's delight when Diane planted purple petunias & variated marigold seedlings in their garden.

http://www.natureshomeandgarden.com/gallery/galleryimages/purple%20petunias.jpg

...& he was so happy to see the water fountain working again!
I so hope he saw those purple petunias flower before he died.

He taught me a new word, "hinky", an excellent word, which is now part of my vocabulary.
As in : "I'm not feeling so hinky today."
Very good to hear!

But most touching of all was the recent news that he had become a grandfather.
"Emma. Isn't that a beautiful name?"
Yes it is & I'm so glad you knew of her birth, Bob.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:38 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I so hope he saw those purple petunias flower before he died.

Sure, he did so. And asked me to take photos of the flowers, the birds and hummingbirds (again). [Like others, these will be posted when I'm back home.]
msolga

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh I am so glad to hear that, Walter.

It will be lovely to see your photographs of his garden. It meant so much to Bob.
As did his bird visitors to his garden & the company of his dearly loved critters.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:45 pm
Dearest Diane

Just got back into town a few hours ago, and this is my first time seeing this.

My deepest sympathy.
He was a good, decent man.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 11:41 pm
Whenever anyone wants to have a gathering here is fine with me. I'll be here.

The weather isn't as hot as Phoenix because of the mile high altitude. It still can get blazing hot, but it is relative to what you all are used to. I would rather be here on a ninety degree day than in Connecticut on a humid, eighty degree day.

Whatever the date, it would be wonderful to have a gathering for Bob. He would love knowing that his friends were here to celebrate his life.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:04 am
@Diane,
I dearly wish I could come to such a gathering, Diane.
But I will have to celebrate Bob's life from a long way away, in my own way.
The tyranny of distance. Sigh.
However, rest assured, my celebration of Bob's life will be no less heart-felt.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

blatham wrote:

The first time Jane (Lola) and I met dys and Dianne (and the others like Fbaezer and Roger attending) was here... http://bit.ly/m0f5N1 That was also the first time Dianne and dys had met. Some of that weekend got so bizarre that the four of us never fully recovered and never wanted to.

I take it from the link that was from May of 2003. Thanx, Walter.

David
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:39 am
@Diane,
Bernie and I would love meet in Albuquerque. Bernie had already told Bob we'd be stopping by. We'll be driving through maybe in October or so, on our way to Austin where we'll be living from now on. But there's a good chance we may make the trip sooner, maybe September. In any case, we'll make a giant effort to make it when ever it will be. Just let us know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:43 am
@msolga,
What she said.

: (

But I am lucky. I got to meet Bob and Diane.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 02:30 am
@dlowan,
I wish I had been so lucky, Deb. Sad
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:21 am
@msolga,
Much of my conversation last week with Bob pertained to Emma. Given the nature of the communication he wasn't quite sure how to respond. I asked him how he felt about the news and he said, "Oh, I'm delighted! Simply, delighted!"

I don't know if he was aware of Emma's age. She could be anything from a small child to a young adult. There's also no knowing her knowledge of his existence. Since Bob's name is in the title of this thread it's feasible that she may some day search out her genealogy and stumble upon this thread.

Bob thought he'd wait a week or so before replying and he wasn't quite sure what he'd say. I suggested that his words above would be lovely. He didn't survive the week and I don't know if he made his reply. I hope so. But, if he didn't reply and Emma does someday discover this side of Bob (which I can imagine is a different side than the one she may have heard) I hope she's pleased to hear that he was "Delighted! Simply, delighted!" to know of her existence.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:26 am
@JPB,
That's a good thought, JPB, that she might one day see this thread & know that he knew of her existence. And was pretty pleased about it!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:38 am
I hope that no one thinks this is "corny." This excellent song by Jimmy Webb is really about how nature regenerates death back into life. The stanza sung by Johnny Cash talks about coming back again even as simply "a single drop of rain."

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:47 am
I'm so glad this venue exists. Losing someone dear to you is always going to be tough but having this community grieving, celebrating, remembering, sharing has got to go some distance to making one feel not so alone in their grief. Thank heavens for that. It's like a cyber-wake. {{group hug}}
High Seas

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:48 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

Whatever the date, it would be wonderful to have a gathering for Bob. He would love knowing that his friends were here to celebrate his life.

So glad to read you, Diane, and see you seem to be holding up well. Some time ago I mailed a letter from overseas addressed to both of you but I had a feeling he would never read it, so it was really meant for you. And think that this thread itself is an e-gathering to celebrate Bob's life - and a very great success it is Smile
0 Replies