HAS OBAMA ANTAGONIZED, ALIENATED THE JEWISH VOTE ?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh please.

The "world" can't come together to get fed up with Iran, Zimbabwe, China 0r The Sudan, but you expect them to do so around Israel?

The fact that the "world" could not be more feckless suggests that it might focus effective bad vibes on Israel, but it is too pathetic to manage even that.

As far as Israel is concerned, the UN 's relevance is only a detriment, and hardly a scare.

In the end, it doesn't matter what the UN declares...if it doesn't suit Israel, they will not comply...nor should they.

I don't think you truly "love" Israel.

I truly love my children and I will save my criticism of them for private exchanges, and I will never, ever, provide their enemies with anything that might be construed as support.

You are not required to love Israel, but if you lay claim to that connection than you should be able to substantiate it. In this thread, you have not.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The "world" can't come together to get fed up with Iran, Zimbabwe, China 0r The Sudan, but you expect them to do so around Israel?

Unless a lot changes between now and then the world will vote to create a Palestinian state this September and this puts additional pressure on Israel in many ways. If you don't believe it google "diplomatic tsunami" as it is something that the Israelis are using to refer to what they see as something that will isolate them further. Right now Israel is working very hard to prevent this vote for a reason.

Quote:
In the end, it doesn't matter what the UN declares...if it doesn't suit Israel, they will not comply...nor should they.

It's true that voting for the Palestinian state will not create facts on the ground and won't create a real Palestinian state but it does matter to Israel for good reason.

Quote:
I don't think you truly "love" Israel.

I truly love my children and I will save my criticism of them for private exchanges, and I will never, ever, provide their enemies with anything that might be construed as support.

I do not see rejection of Israeli irredentism as providing support for their "enemies" and would criticize any of my family members privately or publicly (in fact I've let one of my brothers know very clearly that if he ever acts on his aspirations to public office I will be the first to tell the world that his political positions include support for genocide and will campaign against him).

I think love means something different to you than it does to me. I do not accept "my mother right or wrong" any more than I would "my country right or wrong" and if I see no internal conflict between criticizing Israel's actions or positions and loving their country and culture.

Quote:
You are not required to love Israel, but if you lay claim to that connection than you should be able to substantiate it. In this thread, you have not.

I think Israel is exceptional in many ways and have a lot of respect for many elements of their culture but I can live with failing to convince you and it is ultimately immaterial to my arguments.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:51 pm
The sheer ignorance and idiocy of the blind supporters of Israel here is utterly stupefying.

Israel itself demands that the Palestinians recognize Israel as "the Jewish State," and yet its clueless supporters decry the use of the term as "anti-Semitic."

One supporter pointed out that the term "the Jewish state" smacks of racism. The irony is that Israel refers to itself as the Jewish state. The state of Israel is therefore racist. This supporter unwittingly stated the truth about Israel.
talk72000

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
target of true genocidal intentions for centuries

Joshua committed Genocide in Canaan during the invasion after Moses died
RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:28 pm
@Lash,
I am against the annihilation of any peoples including the palistinians. The jewish state has been and is now a terriost state. Check history, not the christian version that wants a jewish state so the rapture can commence. And you have thrown up the straw man "racism" arguement again. Why cant you be honest about the killing going on over there. 10 pals for every 1 Jew the last time I checked the data.
roger

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:05 am
@InfraBlue,
Not to suggest there are racist, Muslim states out there. . . .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 02:45 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I am against the annihilation of any peoples including the palistinians. The jewish state has been and is now a terriost state. Check history, not the christian version that wants a jewish state so the rapture can commence. And you have thrown up the straw man "racism" arguement again. Why cant you be honest about the killing going on over there.

10 pals for every 1 Jew the last time I checked the data.
If its on a DEFENSIVE basis, what 's rong with that??

Did u complain that we shot down too many Jap planes
over Pearl Harbor too ??

David
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 03:51 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Whoa Finn, I was with you about the 9/11 thing. You definitely lose me here with this rather extreme post. I suppose I am in the middle of two extremes here.

Quote:
The "right of return" is really all about demographics, not justice. Allow an influx of fecund Arabs with the same rights as Jews, and before long, Israel will have changed it's name to Palestine, it's citizens will either be leaving, or suffering, and it will be yet another pathetic ME swamp.

The key word in "right of return", is "return". These aren't pests swarming into a place they don't belong. These are people people who were living in the land that is now Israel before the Europeans decided to have other plans for it. There were civilians, farmers, families, workers who just wanted to make a living on their land were forced out by brutal fighting that they didn't want.

Not only is the "right of return" justice, it is International law.

You can't make demographics arguments in a Democratic state. If you are worried about demographics, then by definition it is no longer a democracy (since in a democracy all people are equal regardless of ethnicity).

This why your demagoguing about "fecund Arabs" (as if Arabs who have been living on the land for centuries shouldn't have a say in its governance) is just as ridiculous as the demagoguing on the other side about Israel's culpability for 9/11.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 03:57 am
@roger,
Quote:
Not to suggest there are racist, Muslim states out there. . . .

How is this relevant?

It seems to me that the world would be better off if states weren't labeled by religion. I would be very happy if there were no Muslim states, Christian states, Hindu states or Jewish states.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 06:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Unless a lot changes between now and then the world will vote to create a Palestinian state this September and this puts additional pressure on Israel in many ways. If you don't believe it google "diplomatic tsunami" as it is something that the Israelis are using to refer to what they see as something that will isolate them further. Right now Israel is working very hard to prevent this vote for a reason.

If Palestine is actually a state by a UN mandate the same way Israel became a state, will it be supported to help it grow from those who voted for it to become a state? Will Palestine have the right to defend itself for its existence? I can just hear the hysteria now if they are given weapons the same as Israel has been given. This is fascinating if it turns out to be true. Think I will check it out on Google or DuckDuckGo (another alternate search engine I have been using as they advertise at least they track less than Google does, neither here nor there I know..)
revelette

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Doocy Falsely Claims Obama Is The "First American President" To "Suggest" Two-State Solution "Based On" 1967 Borders "With Mutually Agreed Swaps"

From the May 20 edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends:

PRESIDENT OBAMA: The United States believes that negotiations should result in two states with permanent Palestinian borders, with Israel, Jordan and Egypt and permanent Israeli borders with Palestine. We believe the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states.

DOOCY: Now, here's why a lot of critics of the president say you've got to be kidding us. That essentially, what he's saying is for Israel and Palestine to determine their borders based on what things were like back in 1967, that's what the Palestinians have been asking for all along. He is the first American president to do just that, to suggest that. We've got some graphics to show you what it would mean. First of all, this shows you what Israel looks like right now. OK? Well, under the Obama plan which he is suggesting that they implement, as you could see right there, it would go back to the 1967 days where they would be combined, but the problem is if you combine and Charles Krauthammer talks a little bit about this in one of his columns today. If you were to combine Gaza with the West Bank and the president talked about it being contiguous, you would probably have to split Israel in two. [Fox News, Fox & Friends, 5/20/11]

In Fact, Bush Publically Stated in 2005 That Changes To The 1967 Border "Must Be Mutually Agreed To"

In 2005, Bush Stated: "Any Final Status Agreement Must Be Reached Between The Two Parties, And Changes To The 1949 Armistice Lines Must Be Mutually Agreed To." From Bush's statement during a May 26, 2005, press conference with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas:

Any final status agreement must be reached between the two parties, and changes to the 1949 Armistice Lines must be mutually agreed to. A viable two-state solution must ensure contiguity on the West Bank, and a state of scattered territories will not work. There must also be meaningful linkages between the West Bank and Gaza. This is the position of the United States today; it will be the position of the United States at the time of final status negotiations.

The imminent Israeli disengagement from Gaza, parts of the West Bank, presents an opportunity to lay the groundwork for a return to the roadmap. All parties have a responsibility to make this hopeful moment in the region a new and peaceful beginning. That is why I assigned General Kip Ward, who is with us today, to support your efforts, Mr. President, to reform the Palestinian security services and to coordinate the efforts of the international community to make that crucial task a success. The United States also strongly supports the mission of the Quartet's special envoy, Jim Wolfensohn, to make sure that the Gaza disengagement brings Palestinians a better life.

The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs refers to the pre-1967 borders between Israel and Palestine as the "1949-1967 Armistice Lines." [Press Conference with Presidents Bush and Abbas, 5/26/05; Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, accessed 5/19/11]

source
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:30 am
@revelette,
I know I am replying to my own posts, but I don't have a lot of time. My grandbaby girl will soon awake, she loves to play on the computer with me... makes it hard to look and find stuff and reply.

Anyway, I have barely begun searching out news for the upcoming (maybe) UN vote for a Palestinian State. From what I can so far, Obama is not supporting and is in fact going around Europe trying to persuade others the dangers of allowing a vote now because of the Hamas and Fatah unity. Since Hamas has not recognized Israel right to exist and sees it as a non starter so to speak.

If Palestine becomes a member of the UN, then they would automatically be recognizing Israel's right to exist since Israel is a member as well. I doubt they could become a member if they say when they petition, we don't recognize Israel right to exist and they probably know that.

Does the whole thing hinge on Hamas openly stating they recognize Israel's right to exist. Can the vote pass even though the US vetoes it?

Obama: US support for Israel 'ironclad'
revelette

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:57 am
Last one as it answered my questioned about what a veto vote from the US would mean.
Quote:

Almost certainly, the United Nations General Assembly will vote in September to grant statehood to Palestine, thus legally removing it from Israeli authority. Almost every U.N. member will vote “aye.” Israel will reject the vote because such a Palestinian state would include half a million Israeli settlers living there unprotected. The United States cannot void the statehood resolution because its veto applies only to U.N. Security Council decisions.

source

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:31 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know what exactly you mean when you say that pinning the 9/11 attacks on our support of Israel is ridiculous, but one of the three motives explicitly stated by the 9/11 attackers was the US's support of Israel. The other two were the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia and the sanctions that were imposed against Iraq. I don't know how much credence you give to their own stated motives, but anything else is conjecture.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
I don't know what exactly you mean when you say that pinning the 9/11 attacks on our support of Israel is ridiculous,
but one of the three motives explicitly stated by the 9/11 attackers was the US's support of Israel.
WHEN did thay explicitly say that ??
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:13 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Does the whole thing hinge on Hamas openly stating they recognize Israel's right to exist.

No, Israel used to use the argument that the Palestinians were not united to argue that they couldn't be expected to negotiate because they did not have a partner in peace that represented Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza. Now that they are united they are using that too as an excuse to not settle the borders.

Essentially, current Israeli leadership has no intention or desire to make a deal and want to keep the status quo while working hard to change the "facts on the ground" (i.e. settle more of the land to deny it to a future Palestinian state).

Quote:
Can the vote pass even though the US vetoes it?

It will be a general assembly vote, where the US has no veto. The US and Israel only have one chance to stop it and that is by proposing a credible alternative. Bibi just came to the US to do that, but Obama wanted to preempt his speech to try to get a starting point to the framework of negotiations that is fairer but you all saw how that went. Bibi twisted his speech into a lie about 1967 borders and then went on to even reject the land swap part as well. He simply is rejecting any viable Palestinian state out of hand.

Because Obama lacks the testicular fortitude to push Bibi any harder there will be no alternative plan before September and the vote looks very likely.

Personally, I think Palestinians shouldn't bother negotiating while Bibi is in office and while Obama is in his first term. The vote won't give them a state but it's better than what America and Israel have to offer as it's clear that they do not have a partner for peace in Israel right now and that Obama lacks the will to pressure Israel much at all.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:13 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Finn.

Pinning the 9/11 attacks on our support of Israel is ridiculous,
WHAT is ridiculous about it ??

HOW is it ridiculous ?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
In 1996 Bin Laden issued the first of two fatwas stating these motives. The second one was issued in 1998. In 2002 he reitterated al Qaeda's motives in his "Letter to America."

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:06 pm
www.pbs.org/newshour/terrorism/international/fatwa_1996.html

www.pbs.org/newshour/terrorism/international/fatwa_1998.html

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Can a Democrat candidate survive without Jewish support ?

With any luck we're gonna find out....
0 Replies