coldjoint

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 01:42 pm

The truth, not Gruberized.
Quote:
The Bureau Of Lies And Scams (Employment)
The Market Ticker ® - Commentary on The Capital Markets
2014-12-06 07:07
The Bureau Of Lies And Scams (Employment)

The gushing over the employment report was enough to make me retch, and the fact that utterly nobody called anyone on it is even worse.

The U.S. economy added 321,000 jobs in November, the strongest month of hiring since January 2012, while the unemployment rate held at 5.8%, the Labor Department said Friday. The stronger-than-expected hiring figure puts the economy on track to post the strongest year of job creation in 15 years. Economists called the report “a blockbuster” and “surprising and encouraging.” Some economists suggested the report was so strong the Federal Reserve may consider starting to raise short-term interest rates sooner than previously expected. Here are more reactions from economists.

Really?
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?get_gallery=5083
Is the number in the second column (November) higher or lower than that in the first (October)?

Those are the actual numbers reported from the household survey.

The economy "added" 321,000 jobs in November? No, the BLS added about 600,000 jobs to the number actually reported by households!

If you're willing to simply "report" whatever is on the headline of a data release without bothering to read the ****ing thing first you're not a journalist, you're a shill or worse, a paid spammer.

If you're willing to believe this sort of **** without reading the report first then you're a low-information voter and deserve what you get when your view of the economy and the world around you turns out to be 180 degrees from reality.
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?get_gallery=5084
Yes, on the numbers this is still positive on an annualized basis due to the positive number last month -- a month that is normally negative. But this month was negative on the household survey, and quite-strongly so, implying that this was simply an oscillation last month and not a trend.
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?get_gallery=5085
Further, the employment:population ratio contracted this month, as expected given the raw data.

Nobody reads beyond the first sentence of these "data releases" any more do they?

PS: I was sufficiently shocked by what I saw yesterday when this came out originally that I decided to wait until Saturday to see who picked up on it the so-called "mainstream" reporting and economic analysis fields. The answer is pretty clear from that linked WSJ blog; there is no longer a mainstream economic field that relies on numerical analysis, it is all simply a paid shilling machine for the government and whatever lie they wish to distribute on a given day. Think about that for a minute and whether there's a point to sites like The Market Ticker in the face of this, given that those institutions and organizations only exist because you fund them with your tuition dollars and consumer purchases.

http://market-ticker.org/post=229639

Main Navigation
Full-Text Search & Archives
Archive Access
parados

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 03:34 pm
@coldjoint,
I have to say, I love how you have to resort to quoting lies and scams cj.

You use a source that uses selective stats to try to make a point that upon examination is shown to be wrong.
It seems your source purposely left off September by choosing to use table A-1.

Table A can be found here:
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.a.htm
Now, look at the numbers from Sept to Nov. We see 687,000 more jobs in those 2 months. That would mean before we seasonally adjust, October and November have an increase of 687,000 jobs but because the seasonal adjustment, October only had 240,000 jobs instead of the 683,000 unadjusted jobs.

How much did you get paid to repeat those lies here Pinkie?
coldjoint

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 06:30 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I have to say, I love how you have to resort to quoting lies and scams

Learned that from you.
Quote:
You use a source that uses selective stats

Learned that from you.
Quote:

Wouldn't you like to know?http://www.alien-earth.org/images/smileys/butt.gif
bobsal u1553115

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 07:11 pm
@parados,
Nothing. He lies whenever he opens his mouth. Paying him implies he needs encouragement to lie. Paying him would be a waste of money.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 07:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Re: parados (Post 5832973)
Quote:

I have to say, I love how you have to resort to quoting lies and scams

Learned that from you.
Quote:

You use a source that uses selective stats

Learned that from you.
Quote:

Wouldn't you like to know?

So what do you want for your eighth birthday, junior. You may be some profoundly stupid ****, but you DO make me laugh at you.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 08:12 pm
Ohio Woman Kicked Off Welfare For Not Reporting She Was In a Coma

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Kimberly Thompson, 43, says she was lying in a hospital bed when she found out that she would no longer receive government assistance. The letter from the county shocked her: "They basically cut me off of benefits for not reporting I was in a coma," she says.

For a decade, Thompson worked packing boxes in Columbus warehouses for $10 or $12 an hour. She was raising a 15-year-old daughter and managed to pay rent for a trailer she shared with a relative. Then last May Thompson underwent a hysterectomy. Unable to return to strenuous warehouse work, she applied for Medicaid, welfare and food stamps, and enrolled in a computer repair job-training program. But a month later, an untreated infection she'd contracted after surgery worsened, and her organs began to shut down. She spent the next month in a medically-induced coma.

When Thompson woke up, she learned that her cash assistance through the Ohio Works First program as well as her food stamp benefits had been terminated—more than $700 per month in total. Administrators said the county imposed a sanction because she had failed to complete the mandatory work and training requirement for receipt of government assistance. Thompson called the Franklin County, Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services to tell them she was in the hospital. A worker there told her she had two days to verify her hospitalization. Frail and unable to move—she'd had seven toes amputated and says she lost some cognitive capacity—she was unable to get to the county office.

"They told me I'd lost the benefits because I didn't go to class," said Thompson, who since her illness speaks in a trembling voice and gets tired in minutes if she moves around. "How are you supposed to go to class when you're in a coma?"

Advocates for the poor in Ohio say that situations like Thompson's are not uncommon as a several-year-old effort to impose strict work requirements on state welfare and food stamp recipients has led to thousands of families losing aid. Anti-poverty advocates note that even as the state is moving to bolster the medical safety net through Medicaid expansion, it has dramatically slashed its welfare roles since 2011, shrinking the program from 90,000 cases to 60,000 in the last four years. Most of the remaining people relying on cash assistance are children who often live with grandparents.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/in-plain-sight/ohio-woman-kicked-welfare-not-reporting-she-was-coma-n262316
RABEL222

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 08:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Ohio is a christian republican state adhering to Jesus Christs do unto others.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:45 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
So what do you want for your eighth birthday,

A couple of posts up you can see what Hillary wants.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 10:57 pm
Quote:
Non-shocker: Sen. Mary Landrieu loses big to Bill Cassidy in Louisiana run-off

The South is solidly Republican. What happened?http://www.alien-earth.org/images/smileys/mapeqodg.gif

http://twitchy.com/2014/12/06/non-shocker-sen-mary-landrieu-loses-big-to-bill-cassidy-in-louisiana-run-off/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 6 Dec, 2014 11:01 pm
http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10593136_782489538459483_4903485885924945506_n.jpg
RexRed

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 06:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Nothing. He lies whenever he opens his mouth. Paying him implies he needs encouragement to lie. Paying him would be a waste of money.

It pays to ignore CJ
bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 06:42 am
@coldjoint,
Pretty hypocritical post from a guy who wants wars and NSA wiretapping.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 06:43 am
@RexRed,
I got him to leave my Ferguson thread. That was priceless!
bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 06:44 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 06:48 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 06:52 am
Another GOP Governor Flips For Medicaid Expansion
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/matt-mead-wyoming-medicaid-expansion_n_6262138.html

Another GOP Governor Flips For Medicaid Expansion
Posted: 12/03/2014 2:26 pm EST Updated: 3 hours ago

One year after rejecting federal funds to expand Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act, Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead (R) is pushing the state’s Republican legislature to approve a new plan set forth by the state Department of Health last week.

During a press conference Monday, Mead, who signed onto a federal lawsuit opposing the Affordable Care Act in 2011, urged Republican lawmakers to "be realistic" and accept Obamacare as the "law of the land."

"I agree it is not a good piece of legislation, but as I see where we are, I think we have to be realistic and say, 'This is the current law of the land and we need to either go forward with this' or if the Legislature wants to come up with a different plan, I certainly would be open to that," Mead said, according to the Casper Star-Tribune. "But I don’t think we can say to those people in Wyoming who are working who cannot get insurance that we’re not going to do anything."

To expand Medicaid, Mead's proposal seeks a federal waiver that will allow the state to charge low-income participants who make 101 to 138 percent of the federal poverty level -- that’s $11,670 to $16,105 annually for a single person -- co-payments and a monthly premium. Those earning below 101 percent of the poverty level would not pay premiums but could be responsible for certain co-payments. However, the ACA's Medicaid provisions guarantee coverage for eligible low-income residents without cost-sharing, so the Obama administration would have to approve Wyoming's modified Medicaid expansion.

The plan would also have to clear the state legislature, which has rejected several Medicaid-related bills in the past year alone.

According to the Wyoming Department of Health, the Strategy for Health, Access, Responsibility and Employment -- or SHARE plan -- would grant health care access to an estimated 17,600 low-income residents. Two-thirds of them fall in the coverage gap, meaning they are ineligible for both Medicaid and federal tax subsidies through the federal health care marketplace.

If Mead’s proposal is approved, he would become the 10th GOP governor to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. Several other Republican-led states, including Indiana, Tennessee and Utah, have considered similar options but have yet to advance legislation to address the issue. To date, 27 states and the District of Columbia have opted to expand Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 07:12 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 07:50 am
Killer cops, drone wars and the crisis of democracy
I've been observing an interesting (and depressing) theme to many criticisms of the Brown and Garner protests: insistence on making the alleged infractions by the victim the central issue, and objection to the notion that racial inequality is a root cause of police brutality against black people. I have been struggling to find a way to express my interpretation of the origin of these beliefs in the people making these arguments.

Today on Salon, Andrew O'Hehir published an excellent article entitled "Killer cops, drone wars and the crisis of democracy." He confronts the issues of economic injustice, racial inequality and American military hegemony with ideas from Nietsche and the black radical philosopher Frantz Fanon. Read the entire thing, it's well-written and insightful:

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/06/killer_cops_drone_wars_and_the_crisis_of_democracy/

O'Hehir discussed Nietche's concept of the "slave morality" and applied it to the modern American experience:

. . . To borrow an explosive concept from Nietzsche and turn it to new purposes, it’s about the “slave morality” that characterizes so much of American life, meaning the desire to be dominated and ruled, to give up control over one’s own life and allow others to make the decisions.

Since the word “slave” carries special meaning in American history, let me be clear that I’m not talking here about the legacy of 19th-century human slavery (although that too is still a factor in our national life). I’m talking about the plurality or majority of contemporary Americans who have enslaved themselves – in moral and psychological terms — to the rule of a tiny economic oligarchy, and to a state that serves its interests, in exchange for the promise of order, safety and comfort. That order, safety and comfort then become the absolute values, the only values; they become coterminous with “freedom,” which must be defended by the most exaggerated means. If the leaders hint that those values are under attack from sinister forces, or might someday be, the timorous, self-enslaved majority consents to whatever is said to be necessary, whether that means NSA data sweeps, indefinite detention camps, mass murder by remote control or yet another ground war in the Middle East. Compared to all that, letting a few killer cops go free is small potatoes.

I then found this passage, which seemed to express the ideas I had difficulty putting to words:

One could argue that Mike Brown and Eric Garner died because they expressed insufficiently avid slave morality, or did not do so rapidly enough. Reasonable-sounding people on TV and the Internet have repeatedly assured us, over the last few weeks, that those who submit to authority and trust the system (despite the manifest and obvious failures of the system) need not fear being killed in the street. There is a logic here, but it is the logic of military occupation that Fanon would have recognized in the colonial context, not the logic of democracy: Capitulate entirely and without hesitation, do not insist on your so-called rights, and you will be permitted to live.

"Trust the system." That's what is at the heart of these denials of racial inequality, police brutality and war crimes. We, the collective American citizenry, have over time built this System. The System gives us order, safety and comfort, and to suggest that it employs immoral methods to do so implies that we who benefit from this order, safety and comfort are complicit in the crimes wrought by the State. That's a harsh realization for many. Therefore it's much more palatable to believe that the System is working as designed, and the design is sound, rather than to face the frightening possibility that the System is broken.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 08:27 am
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 7 Dec, 2014 10:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Pretty hypocritical post from a guy who wants wars and NSA wiretapping.

Pretty desperate telling me what I have said with no proof.