Should all or parts of Canada be annexed by the usa

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:24 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm visiting Brazil now and we've been reminiscing about real maple syrup yet again and how he never got us any. We'll have to find it in our hearts to forgive him.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:26 pm
@George,
The St. Albans crew was considerably less competent than Col. O'Neill.
JTT

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:47 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Although i agree that it is farfetched, i will point out to you that your having never met anyone who believes that does not constitute evidence of anything.

Translation: My little anecdotes are the gospel truth. Everyone else's are what I've described above.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 12:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ha! I really couldn't ever forget Dan-E and maple syrup
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The St. Albans crew was considerably less competent than Col. O'Neill.

Yeah, they didn't get any maple syrup either.
George

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:40 pm
@George,
I'm getting these conversations confused.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:56 pm
@George,
Those boys who went to St. Albans would have had better luck trying for maple syrup in Québec, anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 02:00 pm
From the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
Young and two others checked into a local hotel on October 10, saying that they had come from St. John's in Canada East for a "sporting vacation and some maple syrup." Every day, two or three more young men arrived. By October 19, there were 21 cavalrymen assembled. Just before 3 p.m. the group simultaneously staged a robbery of the three banks in the town, as well as rounding up all the maple syrup in the town's stores. They announced that they were Confederate soldiers and stole a total of $208,000, and 32 gallons of maple syrup. As the banks were being robbed, eight or nine of the Confederates held the townspeople prisoner on the village green as their horses were stolen, and their houses ransacked for maple syrup. One townsperson was killed and another wounded. Young ordered his men to burn the town down, but the four-ounce bottles of Greek fire they had brought failed to work, and only one shed was destroyed.

The raiders fled with the money and maple syrup into Canada, where they were arrested by authorities. A Canadian court decided that the soldiers were under military orders and that the officially neutral Canada could not extradite them to the United States. The Canadian court's ruling that the soldiers were legitimate military belligerents and not criminals, as argued by American authorities, has been interpreted as a tacit British recognition of the Confederate States of America. The raiders were freed, but the $88,000 the raiders had on their person was returned to Vermont. No one knows what became of the maple syrup.
0 Replies