Should all or parts of Canada be annexed by the usa

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 02:46 am
I just asked the Canajuns, and they said you should go piss up a rope.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:25 am
@JTT,
Quote:
I am in favor of complete castration.
Were you raped ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:26 am
@roger,
What the hell are you going to do with all those plastic froggies ? France doesnt want them...Canada has reluctantly tolerated them...perhaps Mexico would take them ?
matttheroman

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:43 am
@Ionus,
Here's an idea: Quebec Becomes independent, the USA gets Alberta(on a favorable oil deal for them), British Columbia, The Yukon (as a buffer zone), and as a follow up on William Randolph Hearst's idea, Newfoundland and Labrador, all other provinces east of Quebec become separate Commonwealth Dominions, and the rest goes to Canada (for if Quebec goes, the country Will fall apart and break, which is why Canada, as much as they dislike Quebec, keeps it)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:50 am
@matttheroman,
You don't understand the situation in Quebec very well.

The native community has made it clear that if Quebec tries to secede from Canada, the native community will secede from Quebec and stay with Canada. The big Quebec money source is based on land controlled by the native community. Quebec will be broke in no time.

In any case, the separatist party collapsed in the federal election earlier this month.

~~

Newfoundland and Labrador would seriously kick the U.S. in the teeth - there is no love for the U.S. there. They might go to Portugal, but the U.S. just isn't an option.

People in Alberta don't like U.S. style government.

The U.S. would end up with battles on 3 or more fronts - and they'd be financial battles, which the U.S. doesn't have the economic strength for. Chinese, Russian and Indian money would support Canada.
Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:02 am
@ehBeth,
I thought that during those elections France made it quite clear it didnt want Quebec ....why would Portugal want Newfoundland and Labrador ?

Quote:
People in Alberta don't like U.S. style government.
Isnt the Canadian system and the USA system relatively similar, at least in theory ?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:06 am
@Ionus,
I'm not suggesting Portugal would want Nfld and Labrador, but that the locals would be somewhat more likely to accept influence from Portugal than from the U.S.

Canada's political system is Brit-style, not U.S.
Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:08 am
@ehBeth,
Doesnt Canada have a President ?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:09 am
@Ionus,
Prime Minister.
Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:24 am
@ehBeth,
Just returned from google..... Embarrassed boy did I have the wrong idea . In their constitution, does it only guarantee the states rights, like in Oz or does it have a guarantee of individual human rights like the USA ?
Reyn

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:35 am
@matttheroman,
matttheroman wrote:

whos Joldman10

Someone fill him in. I haven't the strength. Mad

ehBeth wrote:
Though the big infusion of Hong Kong money in B.C. means you're going to have to deal with really high housing costs.

I' just heard that Vancouver housing prices are among the highest in the world.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:36 am
@Ionus,
Our 1982 Constitution includes the Charter of Rights and Freedom.

wiki does a pretty good job on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Canada

Quote:
Constitution Act, 1982
Main article: Constitution Act, 1982

Endorsed by all provinces, except by the Quebec government led by René Lévesque, this was the formal Canadian Act of Parliament that achieved full and final political independence from the United Kingdom. Part V of this Act established an amending formula for the Canadian Constitution, the lack of which (due to more than 50 years of disagreement between the federal and provincial governments) was the only reason Canada's constitutional amendments still required approval by the British Parliament after ratification of the Statute of Westminster in 1931.

More importantly, Part I of the Act is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which outlines the civil rights and liberties of every citizen in Canada, such as freedom of expression, of religion, and of mobility. Part II addresses the rights of Canada's Aboriginal people.

In UK, the parallel act passed simultaneously by the British Parliament was called the Canada Act 1982. As a bilingual act of parliament, the Canada Act 1982 has the distinction of being the only legislation in French that has been passed by an English or British Parliament since Norman French ceased to be the language of government in England.

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

As noted above, this is Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982. The Charter is the constitutional guarantee of collective and individual rights. It is a relatively short document and written in plain language in order to ensure accessibility to the average citizen. It is said that it is the part of the constitution that has the greatest impact on Canadians' day-to-day lives, and has been the fastest developing area of constitutional law for many years. Only applies to government and government actions with the intention to prevent government from creating laws that are unconstitutional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms
Reyn

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:40 am
@matttheroman,
matttheroman wrote:

Here's an idea: ... <a lot of BS>

Here's an idea: Why don't you just STFU and keep your idiot ideas at home?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:43 am
@ehBeth,
That Part One is what we dont have...the government doesn't like it ....they say it impedes progress, like banning firearms . Why only 21 million people (in Oz) need three levels of government is a bit of a joke anyway.....
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:53 am
@matttheroman,
As Beth said..You don't understand the situation in Quebec very well, or for that matter Canadians. There's no underlying dislike of Quebec, their politics, maybe. As big as this country is, we are quite united... if the last election proves anything. And what pray tell would a favourable oil deal for Albertans be? or a buffer zone, for what?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 03:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Why would we want to absorb any part of Canada, least of all the Have Not Provinces?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 03:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You'll have to ask the original poster, who seems to think it's such a good idea that he has two threads on it.

His parents studied history, doncha know.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 03:55 pm
@roger,
Canada will fall apart. Then you can pick and choose. Quebec wants out so you can have the frenchies. The Newfies want out so you can have them along with the newfie jokes. The West - Manitoba, Saskatchewan, alberta and Britsh Columbia are under Conservative rule. Ontario is the backbone of Canada and the Loyalists with Benedict Arnold are there waiting for the second war.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 08:38 pm
@talk72000,
I doubt Canada will fall apart, but if it does, we should only make a move on the "Haves," as the Canadians themselves have labelled these provinces as self-sustaining. We certainly don't need any increase in our population of people expecting the federal government to carry their asses.

That some of these "Have Not" provinces have cool martime cultures and what not should be totally meaningless.

I have had a number of beloved Labrador Retrievers, but feel no compulsion to pay for the health care and welfare of Canadian Labradors, especially since all of my Labs were of the English breed (far more handsome).
JTT

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 09:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I have had a number of beloved Labrador Retrievers,

No doubt.

Any sheep or are you a one species guy, Finn? Smile