Who's "with nature man?" "I?"

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 07:01 pm

Context:

Feuerbach matriculated in the University of Heidelberg with the intention of pursuing a career in the church. Through the influence of Prof. Karl Daub he was led to an interest in the then predominant philosophy of Hegel and, in spite of his father's opposition, enrolled in the University of Berlin in order to study under the master himself. After 22 years, the Hegelian influence began to slacken. Feuerbach became associated with a group known as the Young Hegelians, alternately known as the Left Hegelians, who synthesized a radical offshoot of Hegelian philosophy, interpreting Hegel's dialectic march of spirit through history to mean that existing Western culture and institutional forms—and, in particular, Christianity—would be superseded. "Theology," he wrote to a friend, "I can bring myself to study no more. I long to take nature to my heart, that nature before whose depth the faint-hearted theologian shrinks back; and with nature man, man in his entire quality." These words are a key to Feuerbach's development. He completed his education at Erlangen, at the Friedrich-Alexander-University, Erlangen-Nuremberg with the study of natural science.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 914 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 10:19 pm
@oristarA,
Are philosophical things usually abandoned by most of people?
McTag

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 05:06 am
@oristarA,
Ha! I've just seen this. You study the darndest texts.

To paraphrase part of your text: "I intend to study nature, and with nature, mankind."

I've been to Erlangen. They run a very good wine and beer festival. And ox-roast.
oristarA

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:25 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Ha! I've just seen this. You study the darndest texts.

To paraphrase part of your text: "I intend to study nature, and with nature, mankind."

I've been to Erlangen. They run a very good wine and beer festival. And ox-roast.

Thank you,

Here is another minor question that I don't get it very clearly:

Does "interpreting Hegel's dialectic march of spirit through history to mean that existing Western culture and institutional forms—and, in particular, Christianity—would be superseded" mean:

They interpreted Hegel's dialectic march of spirit through history, and by the interpretation, they mean/point out that Christianity (and other existing Western culture and institutional forms) would be substituted?

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:22 pm
@oristarA,

Yes, but superseded is a better word than substituted in this instance.

Supplanted. Overtaken by events.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 01:53 pm
@oristarA,

'that' and 'it' are co-referents, Ori. 'that' replaces 'it'.
oristarA

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:39 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

'that' and 'it' are co-referents, Ori. 'that' replaces 'it'.

Delete "it" there?
JTT

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 05:14 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Delete "it" there?

1. Here is another minor question.

2. I don't get it very clearly.

1. Here is another minor question.

2. I don't get the minor question very clearly.

'that' is a relative pronoun that replaces 'it', which refers back to 'minor question' when the two sentences are joined.

Here is another minor question that I don't get very clearly;
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 06:34 pm
Thank you both.
0 Replies