renewed = rebuilt?

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:07 pm

2) with every mark of distinction = with greatest repect?

Context:

As a consequence, Wolff was ousted in 1723 from his first chair at Halle in one of the most celebrated academic dramas of the 18th century. His enemies had gained the ear of the king Frederick William I and told him that, if Wolff's determinism were recognized, no soldier who deserted could be punished, since he would only have acted as it was necessarily predetermined that he should. This so enraged the king that he immediately deprived Wolff of his office, and commanded him to leave Prussian territory within 48 hours or be hanged. The same day Wolff passed into Saxony, and presently proceeded to Marburg in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel), to whose university he had received a call even before this crisis, which was now renewed. The Landgrave of Hesse received him with every mark of distinction, and the circumstances of his expulsion drew universal attention to his philosophy. It was everywhere discussed, and over two hundred books and pamphlets appeared for or against it before 1737, not reckoning the systematic treatises of Wolff and his followers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 16
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:11 pm
It was the call which was renewed, nothing was "rebuilt." Receiving someone with every mark of distinction does indeed mean to show great respect.
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It was the call which was renewed, nothing was "rebuilt." Receiving someone with every mark of distinction does indeed mean to show great respect.

Thanks.

Isn't Marburg still part of Prussian territory, Set?

Please use another word for "renewed."
PhoebeKate

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:04 pm
In the context of the sentence, renewed meant taking up where one left off. Reinstated or reiterated can also be used.
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:31 pm
@PhoebeKate,
PhoebeKate wrote:

In the context of the sentence, renewed meant taking up where one left off. Reinstated or reiterated can also be used.

I get it as "gave ... a return call." Am I on the right track?
PhoebeKate

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:34 am
@oristarA,
Yes, you're definitely on track. But being 1732, I don't think they have phones yet. (To be literal about it.) I think it's more of taking up a previous job offer.
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 02:18 am
@oristarA,
Why? Renewed is a perfectly acceptable way to say that the offer was made to him again.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:16 am
Thank you both.

But Set, the territory question is not answered yet:

Isn't Marburg still part of Prussian territory, Set?

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:55 am
@oristarA,
Prussia no longer exists as an independent nation, Boss. Marburg was in one of the Hessian states, and it did not become a part of Prussia until the 1866 war with Austria.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:55 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Prussia no longer exists as an independent nation, Boss. Marburg was in one of the Hessian states, and it did not become a part of Prussia until the 1866 war with Austria.

Good.

Thanks
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:20 pm
@oristarA,
to whose university he had received a call even before this crisis, which was now given to him again.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 03:28 pm
@oristarA,
Might I ask, Ori, if you translated 'renewed' from an English-Chinese dictionary?
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:28 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Might I ask, Ori, if you translated 'renewed' from an English-Chinese dictionary?

I've looked it around from my E-E, E-C, C-E dictionaries before posting. Razz

JTT

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:45 pm
@oristarA,
I wish I knew Chinese.

I just figured that it might have been a broad translation.

'renew' differs from 'rebuild' in that the latter is a much more exhaustive process. A house destroyed by fire, flood, etc would be rebuilt, not renewed.

'renew' has a meaning like 'spruce up' or 'renovate'.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:19 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I wish I knew Chinese.

Chinese is harder to learn than English.

Its handwriting kills. Razz
JTT

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:23 pm
@oristarA,
What's the name in Chinese for the Chinese symbols that the Japanese call Kanji?
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

What's the name in Chinese for the Chinese symbols that the Japanese call Kanji?

Kanji in Chinese: 日本汉字

In Pinyin: rì běn hàn zì
0 Replies