English version for what Hegal says:

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 01:38 am

Hegal said something like this:

China does not have a real history; its only "history" is simply a dogged repeating of the ancient social system.

(My translation from Chinese context)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,301 • Replies: 21
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 01:58 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Hegal said something like this:

China does not have a real history; its only "history" is simply a dogged repeating of the ancient social system.

(My translation from Chinese context)

What I want is its original English version.
Thank you.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 02:40 am
If you mean Georg Hegel, you won't find the original English because he wrote in German, his native language. I've looked around for such a quote, and he certainly wrote a great deal about history (almost all of which i saw is rubbish), but i've found no such comment on China.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 03:03 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

In both form and content your query provides a classic illustration of what Hegel (not Hegal) said in the original German (not English) version.

The text in which that quote can be found is: Vorlesungen über die Philosophie der Geschichte, by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

Since you are unable or unwilling to look up the simplest things, and invariably expect others to do your work for you, you most probably also support a philosopher whom Hegel held in low esteem, Lao Tzu - and for much the same reason he held the exact view you quote on Chinese history.

Specifically, Hegel followed the unswerving Western tradition of getting to the truth through precise definition and determination ("Bestimmung" in the original) used by all of our philosophers barring none starting with the presocratics of ancient Greece. Lao Tzu is typical of the Oriental approach of waiting for the "miao" of "heaven and earth" (generally translated as the "meaning of things") to appear by itself without doing anything about it. Given infinite time that may well come about - either that or some charitable westerner eventually loses patience and explains things to you. No, don't thank me Smile

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you mean Georg Hegel, you won't find the original English because he wrote in German, his native language. I've looked around for such a quote, and he certainly wrote a great deal about history (almost all of which i saw is rubbish), but i've found no such comment on China.

Thank you Set.

Of course I've long known Hegel was a German. But surely his work had been translated into English! That is the "original English version" I'm looking for. Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:06 am
@oristarA,
That's rather naïve of you. The original translation into English could be utter crap. At any event, i did not find the quote, so i don't have anyone's English translation to offer you. I will only spend so much time online searching for things for other people, and your time is up. My advice is that you do a search, and that you use this criterion: "Hegel+quotes+history." Good luck.
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 05:10 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

oristarA wrote:

In both form and content your query provides a classic illustration of what Hegel (not Hegal) said in the original German (not English) version.

The text in which that quote can be found is: Vorlesungen über die Philosophie der Geschichte, by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

Since you are unable or unwilling to look up the simplest things, and invariably expect others to do your work for you, you most probably also support a philosopher whom Hegel held in low esteem, Lao Tzu - and for much the same reason he held the exact view you quote on Chinese history.

Specifically, Hegel followed the unswerving Western tradition of getting to the truth through precise definition and determination ("Bestimmung" in the original) used by all of our philosophers barring none starting with the presocratics of ancient Greece. Lao Tzu is typical of the Oriental approach of waiting for the "miao" of "heaven and earth" (generally translated as the "meaning of things") to appear by itself without doing anything about it. Given infinite time that may well come about - either that or some charitable westerner eventually loses patience and explains things to you. No, don't thank me Smile

Can you read German, High Seas? Oh no, you can't. But you know something about Hegel's works, because you've put your nose into his English versions, which are exactly what I am searching for. Very Happy

You've showed off with his German that you cannot recognize. The truth is that you recognized it in its English translation: Lectures on the Philosophy of History. So be modest, Mr.High Seas.

I've been reading articles from Cell, Science, Nature... magazines. Contrary to what you've guessed here: I know the view of Lao Tzu is naive (or pompous in sound, weak in action) in the background of today's scientific and cultural development.

What has amused me is the fact you've held Hegel in such high esteem. Not to mention what Setanta said here about his works, a greater philosopher, Ludwig Wittgenstein, had described us the truth in his eyes: the death of Western Philosophy.

Because what we need is BETTER SCIENCE! No wonder "Wittgenstein grew angry when any of his students wanted to pursue philosophy, and was famously overjoyed when the wife of philosopher G.E. Moore told him she was working in a jam factory—doing something useful,"

So a jam job is more useful than the philosophical work you tout with "precise definition and determination." Very Happy
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's rather naïve of you. The original translation into English could be utter crap. At any event, i did not find the quote, so i don't have anyone's English translation to offer you. I will only spend so much time online searching for things for other people, and your time is up. My advice is that you do a search, and that you use this criterion: "Hegel+quotes+history." Good luck.

The reference is to Hegel's view of historical development as an evolutionary process, and the specific observation concerning China is the lack of evolution in that country; it's been pretty much same old, same old, for millenia, as out friend here brilliantly illustrates. Never mind his laziness in not doing the simple search you suggest - what's really breathtaking in his post is the peremptory manner of writing questions in second-coming-sized letters, the presumption that other posters may not read German (!), the laughable pretension to having known about Hegel when he can't even spell the name, etc, etc.

You're right in saying the poster's time is up - far as I'm concerned it was up 4,000 queries ago - and you will recall an observation similar to Hegel's made in an essay you most certainly have read on many occasions, John Stuart Mill's great classic "On Liberty": http://www.constitution.org/jsm/liberty.htm
Quote:
.....We have a warning example in China — a nation of much talent, and, in some respects, even wisdom, owing to the rare good fortune of having been provided at an early period with a particularly good set of customs, the work, in some measure, of men to whom even the most enlightened European must accord, under certain limitations, the title of sages and philosophers. They are remarkable, too, in the excellence of their apparatus for impressing, as far as possible, the best wisdom they possess upon every mind in the community, and securing that those who have appropriated most of it shall occupy the posts of honor and power. Surely the people who did this have discovered the secret of human progressiveness, and must have kept themselves steadily at the head of the movement of the world. On the contrary, they have become stationary — have remained so for thousands of years; and if they are ever to be farther improved, it must be by foreigners.

talk72000

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 12:15 pm
@High Seas,
You sound pompous don't forget the West stole many Chinese inventions. It was the monarchy (the Emperors) that held back the Chinese society and western stole from China. We know you are HOT.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 01:59 pm
@talk72000,
We "stole" nothing - and you, sir, don't know what you're talking about any more than the presumptuous OP here. I work in China for much of the year and know their track record in e.g. buying lots and lots of extra jet engines with each Boeing or Airbus jet they actually ordered - not to mention their intellectual property debacle. Perhaps you should stop posting your own opinion calling it "we" - unless you're the Queen of England, in which case ignore this comment Smile
talk72000

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 02:58 pm
@High Seas,
A thief never testifies against him/herself. A catholic priest hid silkworm in the hollow of his cane.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 03:03 pm
@talk72000,
Take that up with the Catholic church, will you? If you want to really educate yourself look up why the Chinese, who invented gunpowder, still used arrows a thousand years later - or look up the opium wars, or just plain talk to any Russian across the Amur river border the 2 countries share - learn something Smile
talk72000

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:31 pm
@High Seas,
How about stealing the land from Native Americans and the ethnic cleaning of the tribes after the Civil War?

Quote:
opium wars

Who couldn't pay for the silk and tea and decided to feed the Chinese opium? Tea was stolen and tea plantations were created in India and Ceylon.

Helen Of Troy made a lot trouble for the Trojans.

Quote:
Russian across the Amur river

You could most likely be a Russian Jew.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:46 pm
@High Seas,
Oh... poor Ms.High Seas, are you speaking for everyone in the West? Very Happy

I like Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Talk72000,
Setanta, JTT, McTag et al, et al, among so many people you are not included.

You're fighting for a lost cause, because you DONNOT know how to evaluate people in the way that properly reflects American VALUES (for all under the sun), because you don't know how to find a right dirrection. Very Happy
talk72000

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:48 pm
@oristarA,
High Seas is a very highly educated woman but right wing. She has a runin with everyone.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:51 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

High Seas is a very highly educated woman but right wing. She has a runin with everyone.

Blimey, I should be aware that the sweaty (misspelling? sweety?) Ms. High Seas' fighting a large mighty army. Razz

talk72000

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 11:54 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Blimey
is used by the British. With Americans you get some ribbing about it.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:22 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Quote:
Blimey
is used by the British. With Americans you get some ribbing about it.

Well, dear me? Don't make me dumb please: give me the American counterpart. Razz
talk72000

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:30 pm
@oristarA,
Ther are plenty of them if you read comic books or the weekend comics. Yikes, Good Heavens, Krikey, OMG, Damn, holy mackeral, holy whatever, sh*t, etc.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:03 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Ther are plenty of them if you read comic books or the weekend comics. Yikes, Good Heavens, Krikey, OMG, Damn, holy mackeral, holy whatever, sh*t, etc.

Thank you.

I prefer those graceful and most commonly used forms (Good Heavens sounds old-fashioned). Please give me some more if you'd like.