The ultimate human goal

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:17 am
what is the ultimate human goal- what do all humans truly strive for in their lives.
and is the this goal at all achievable by reasonable means and by a general demography, or is it incredibly exclusive, and an elusive goal?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:23 am
@Tifinden,
The ultimate human goal is sex. It is achievable for humans in general.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:36 am
I'm reading some Wittgenstein (the bleary swine) now, and it says that life has 3 priorities:

1) life (survival)
2) good (comfortable) life
3) better life (some goal to strive towards)

Paraphrased, of course. Seems to have a fair amount of explanatory utility, though I wouldn't be so bold as to declare it "right" in the conventional sense...
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:07 am
@FBM,
So we agree. Sex is about survival. Sex is part of a good life and sex is a goal to strive towards.

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:10 am
The ultimate human goal

not sure about everyone, but mine is the complete extinction of the human race, after that i think the world would be a perfect place
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:17 am
@djjd62,
Well then, with that goal you definitely shouldn't be having sex.
kuvasz

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:22 am
@Tifinden,
Finding life's purpose.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:23 am
@maxdancona,
the sex isn't the problem, it's the procreation that's really stifling the goal
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:57 pm
@Tifinden,
Tifinden wrote:
what is the ultimate human goal- what do all humans truly strive for in their lives.

First and foremost, to keep breathing.
thack45

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 01:17 pm
Nietzsche's "Will to Power" comes to mind.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:27 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

So we agree. Sex is about survival. Sex is part of a good life and sex is a goal to strive towards.

It definitely fits into the scheme...
1) Sex
2) Good sex
3) Better sex

Tifinden

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:35 pm
@FBM,
personally, i find that simply denominating sex as the common goal for which humanity should strive seems limited, a hampering logic, and quite frankly, it taints my human pride. we are not such savage beasts as to allow such carnal instincts to dominate our mentality- shameful it would be to pursue in life the moments chemical pleasure of intercourse- bearing in mind that when one pursues any such matter, they often are hence blinded to the myriad or remaining options and paths. Imagine, at the end of your life, in retrospect, you find that the entire environment which encompassed you was lost in the pursuit of sexual pleasure. i might only agree if by some means, you could convince me, and remove me from my stated obstinacy, that sexual goals are conducive to the development and progression of society- wherein we hope to further the thriving of the human race. or, perhaps, rephrase your meaning, for "sex" is simply so utterly limited and provides for very little speculation and lacks the dimensionality into which we should be able to delve on this matter. or, conclusively, perhaps the common goal is to understand each and every moment in which we live, thereby reaching for a moral definition which will prove unattainable, and which will cause us to forget the remaining eons of time, as we focus steadily and diligently in the past- if so, the human goal, if at all existent, is frivolous and futile.
FBM

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:40 pm
@Tifinden,
Erm...I was just keying off maxdancona, adapting my Wittgenstein post to his. The primacy of the sex drive was maxdancona's idea.

Edit: I just realized that it wasn't Wittgenstein, after all. It was Whitehead. Embarrassed
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:23 pm
@Tifinden,
Tifinden, you have a very poor opinion of sex, and an unrealistic view of humanity.

1) Sex is the start of life and holds the spark that makes us human. Everything that you are, your personality, your thoughts, your feelings and your very self was sparked when your father's semen was shot into your mother. This is not a thing to despise, it is something to celebrate.

2) Sex is far from savagery, it is the culmination of love and the represents deepest and most intimate of human relationships. Humanity struggles with hatred, and violence and meanness, these are the things that need to be overcome for us to rise above our base animal instincts. The joining of two people in a union that can create life is the very noblest of acts.

3) Sex is the way we will create the next generation of humans. Our children are our future. What is possibly more important than that?
0 Replies

withoutpeers

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:40 am
The ultimate human goal is joy, knowledge and harmony.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:50 am
@Tifinden,
Quote:
what do all humans truly strive for in their lives.

factoid, not all humans strive for their lives,
0 Replies

Pukka Sahib

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:55 am
@Tifinden,
For Love of Money. Love is a powerful force; but there is no greater love than the love of money. Of all the passions that drive men, there is none so universal as that fueled by money - the need and greed for it, the getting and spending of it, and the misery for want of it - it represents all other human desires. Man will move heaven and earth for money and money’s worth, for it is not love but money that makes his world go round.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 11:42 am
@Pukka Sahib,
Men gladly give up money for sex. For men, at least, sex is more important than money.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 01:24 am
@Tifinden,
Your pompous babbling is sexuality in every sentence...your delusions of grandeur are worse then I previously thought...how does it feel to schizophrenically be a dumb almost intelligent ass on the market lad ?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 01:30 am
@Tifinden,
Are we to be the judges of our goals achievements ? hmm, and I believing conscious mind was as dull as the populace you so often address in your pseudo chic pocket rhetoric...but I tell you this, every day that you spend wondering about such nonsense is a day achieved nonetheless...
0 Replies