My child swears!

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:36 am
@chai2,
I didn't know you could do that. At least, here you can't. I totally want to shop where you shop.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 06:40 am
@ehBeth,
It probably is an american thing. I can count on one hand the number of times Adriana got out of line in public. But I see kids running wild all the time, crying, screaming, fighting with the parents....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Butrflynet said

What signs should a judgmental bystander look for so they'll know someone is eating in the store because of a health issue or tantrum rather than just for the sheer pleasure and enjoyment of it?

that was not btrfly's original statement.
That argument and point was made earlier in the thread by maxandcona or what ever the name was. We have all be quoting it and using it since then, because.... well..its ridiculous and for the very hot reason YOU just said Laughing

She stood by the idea that it was just enjoyment and that it would make you feel good and since , according to her, " it couldnt possibly inconvenience anyone else so whats wrong with a little enjoyment'...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:37 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

I didn't know you could do that. At least, here you can't. I totally want to shop where you shop.

I want to totally shop where linkat shops, where you wield your own scanner at everything you put in your cart!
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:42 am
@chai2,
no.
you would be dangerous with that thing. Think of the kids! those poor kids having to shop with an armed ogre...

chai2

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:01 am
@shewolfnm,
Yeah, I could scan them, then take them home to eat them.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n1t-GN-yjTE/TbkBRIQAHfI/AAAAAAAAAfM/anzRkx0PSsg/s1600/001-1228135821-Baby-Barcode.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:28 am
@MonaLeeza,
At a year old? Children at a year old really do not have the capability for this sort of control.

And once my child at around that age - screamed in the store - kids that young do for almost no apparent reason at all - it was one loud scream and she didn't do it again.

And for an older child, I do give them a cookie, a roll or whatever and pay for it because it makes my job easier while I shop and makes it more pleasurable for them. Sometimes it is also ok to make a kid happy and it doesn't necessarily mean you are spoiling them.
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:31 am
@MonaLeeza,
Also, many of these grocery stores I shop have a cafe area where you can sit and eat. I've also bought drinks there as well or snacks, paid for it at that registered and walked around the store with that food.

When they were younger, I've even brought food into the store in baggies.

Are all those acceptable?

And in the cases of when I've been to stores that do not have the scanner, and upon checking out, I've given the half drunk bottle of water or whatever item to the cashier, they never seem to have an issue with it. They simply scan it in, smile and hand it back.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:34 am
@ehBeth,
Well then - that is more a cultural type of thing then. We also have many grocery stores where there is a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks inside. I frequently go get a coffee and sip while I shop. Gasp.....for the simple pleasure of it. And when a kid is with - I double gasp! - buy them a donut!

The store probably loves it as I'm sure it is a huge money maker.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:36 am
@JPB,
yep - and often times whatever lunch meat you are ordering, they will give an extra slice to the kiddies as well.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:48 am
@Linkat,
Linkat said,

And for an older child, I do give them a cookie, a roll or whatever and pay for it because it makes my job easier while I shop and makes it more pleasurable for them

I'm sure you're doing the right thing. Your children must obviously think they've got a really nice mummy, and they'll show you their appreciation by behaving well next time you're in the shops. There's no way that they'll be thinking if they kick off in the shops they'll get a cookie or a doughnut. I'm sure they won't go through life thinking all they have to do to get their own way is shout their heads off. I bet they'll be wonderful teenagers.

I don't know what I've been thinking all these years, telling my kids to behave themselves.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:54 am
Hm, eating at the supermarket might be a regional thing then, as I rarely see anyone eating at the store here. We do have lots of sanitary wet towel dispensers in front of the stores and inside as well to combat germ-fare, maybe this could be a deterrent also, I don't know. As I said, I never got into the habit of eating there and my kid has learned by example.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't say anything if someone makes a sandwich and eats it while shopping, it is just not something appetizing or appealing to me.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 09:57 am
@Linkat,
Did any of us say there was anything wrong with that - getting a free or already paid for slice of this or that from the deli, or buying coffee and a donut at the snack part of the grocery store?
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
Love your sarcasm - you don't hoot about me - I give them a cookie or whatever because they are hungry or thirsty same as me.

If they were to misbehave to get something or simply misbehave, I leave the store, we go home and they are punished or if I really need to complete my shopping and my husband is home - I'll call him and he will pick them up.

I only had to do this once.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:02 am
@ossobuco,
Well, I don't really like it, osso. I go there to buy food, I don't want people to touch things with fatty fingers where they just have eaten a donut or sausage or whatever. It's not sanitary to anyone, really.
It's a grocery store for crying out loud - you go there, buy food and get out.
If you want to eat something, there are thousands of fast food places, cafes, restaurants and what not around, why eat in a supermarket?
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:04 am
@CalamityJane,
I do think it is cultural. No one seems offended - it would be one thing if it was not acceptable. I don't allow my children to bounce balls in the store, to scream and run around in a store for example. Seeing it is acceptable where I shop to have a cookie, why the h*ll wouldn't I do it?

My kids know how to behave and when and where. Anyone who has read things I've written know I am not easy on my kids. But in the same respect, if I reward myself with a coffee to make shopping more pleasureable - why wouldn't I give the same respect to my child?
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:05 am
@ossobuco,
Yes - many people did - and accuse one of allowing your child to run your life as such.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:05 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane said

We do have lots of sanitary wet towel dispensers

If the sanitary towels are already wet, I'd avoid 'em if I were you.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:07 am
@Linkat,
Sarcasm is a function of spoken English, it relies on vocal inflection. The word you're looking for is irony.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
Hehe, they're moist yes, but they're in a dispenser, so every towelette is
fresh and sanitized. It's similar to this..
http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/17/149a2/wet-towel-dispenser-752.jpg