My child swears!

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:57 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
If my defense of myself hurts ' someones feelings'

Wait, we are talking about one of those light plastic bouncy balls, right? Because if it were a bowling ball, I might change my mind.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:59 pm
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/290066/290066_1220811860_large.jpg

OHH!!
and she offers poison apples to pretty girls.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:04 pm
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Xw_Zz0_WUKQ/TZ2vnjr44CI/AAAAAAAAEMU/L4qrQRZ1WQU/s1600/dumbfounded.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:14 pm
Jane, this video is just for you, you've GOT to watch it.

The action starts to happen right around second 6. Lower right corner.

Shocked

Laughing

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:19 pm
@chai2,
i had to watch that twice.... Laughing Laughing
chai2

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:22 pm
@shewolfnm,
CJ's gonna be dreaming about her all american boy.
Eva

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:31 pm
@chai2,
MUSICAL BREAK

chai2 wrote:
...It was a lot more interesting talking about Gino Vanelli....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXIHPUmv3k

"When I think about those nights in Montreal..." (killer sax)
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:49 pm
@chai2,
omg, that's so funny!!! Yeah, I will be dreaming well tonight Wink
Too bad that I am too old now to hang posters on my wall....he sure was hot!
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:19 pm
@chai2,
I only just got back to this thread - but I'll belatedly put in another vote of support for Chai taking the ball. A similar thing that really annoys me is people at the supermarket with little kids sitting in the trolley eating the stuff they're buying before they've been through the checkout. Sometimes its something like grapes which will never be paid for because it has to be weighed at the checkout. But even if it is eventually paid for (ie the parent keeps the wrapper to be scanned) it's still teaching the child the wrong lesson.
aidan

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 10:54 pm
When my daughter was little she liked to touch just about everything within her reach in whatever store we went into. And when I say 'touch', I mean 'touch'.
She's just a very tactile person. Some people and children like to look at things and assess and experience them visually - some people are much more kinesthetic learners and like to experience things not only visually, but also through touch. I'm the same way.
But as an adult, I know how to touch things appropriately. I know how to pick them up and look at them without dropping or damaging them.
Little children don't.
So whenever we went in a store and my daughter started her touching routine - I had a stock line-
'Are you going to buy that?'
'No,' she would say - because she knew she wasn't going to buy anything.
I'd say, 'Is that what we came to the store today for me to buy for you?'
'No,' she'd say because if it wasn't what I was going to buy for her, she'd know that.
And I'd say, 'Well, then don't touch it.'

I don't know - I taught my kids from a very early age that if something didn't belong to them they should keep their hands off it and in a store they were taught from the time that they could understand language - 'If you're not going to buy something - keep your hands off it.'

I can understand trying out a ball by bouncing it once or twice to see if you like the way it bounces because you're going to buy it - but playing with toys that you're not going to buy in a store - no. How would that work? Do they sit down in the toy aisle and block it so people can't get by with their carts?

And I have to say that even someplace like Toys R Us - I can't remember ever seeing kids playing with the toys in the aisles.
I don't think what this kid was doing should be classified as typical 'kid' behavior. I've never seen very many kids running through stores slamming balls around.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:00 am
@MonaLeeza,
Geez that is strict.

I will often open a package to snack on or a bottle to drink while I am shopping. It doesn't hurt anyone (if it is not something weighed and usually it is the cookies that call to me) and it makes me happy.

I do this when I am shopping by myself. Of course, this is a happy ritual when I am shopping with my daughter.

What's wrong with a little enjoyment in life, especially on something like this that couldn't possibly inconvenience anyone?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:04 am
@maxdancona,
What if you get to the checkout and realise you forgot to pick your money/credit cards up off the sideboard before you went out? Sorry for the clumsy phrasing, I was going to say purse, but then I realised that means handbag your side of the pond.
chai2

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:28 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

MUSICAL BREAK

chai2 wrote:
...It was a lot more interesting talking about Gino Vanelli....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXIHPUmv3k

"When I think about those nights in Montreal..." (killer sax)

oh man......that was nice.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:35 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, it's the what-if game. How fun.

This has never happened. I suppose if it did I would apologize, explain what happened and hop back in my car and return with the money.
chai2

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:39 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What if you get to the checkout and realise you forgot to pick your money/credit cards up off the sideboard before you went out? Sorry for the clumsy phrasing, I was going to say purse, but then I realised that means handbag your side of the pond.

I believe the word you're looking for is wallet izzy.

We use the word purse and handbag interchangeably here. Purse seems to be a more old fashioned word, what an older person might say. More common is handbag.
Informally, I think most women just say "bag" since nowadays most use shoulder bags.

Yeah, strange, I guess I don't often think of how exactly I say it, but if I were leaving somewhere, I think I'd say "let me grab/get my bag"

Women carry wallets in their bag, men just carry wallets.

This has been a public service announce to the british public, authorized by chai tea.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:03 am
@maxdancona,
How very kind of you to point out that my asking a simple question was merely a product of my overweening smugness. I am so very grateful, truely you are a remarkable person. I can only hope and pray that one day I will be able to match your truely outstanding levels of perception.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:06 am
@chai2,
Thank you Chai, over here men have wallets and women have purses that they put in their handbags.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:13 am
@maxdancona,
My kids often got treats at the supermarket as well - they just had to wait until they were paid for and actually belonged to us before they could eat them. They got their ' little enjoyment in life' in the car on the way home, and they learnt something about self-control, patience and basic property rights in the meantime.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:26 am
@maxdancona,
I've never seen an adult going through a store eating cookies.

Theses are different mores, seemingly by you and the rest of us, but perhaps I don't have enough grocery store experience in nearly seventy years. I am a woman, thus have been grocery shopping countless times.

We do often have small snack bars for coffee and possibly a pastry here, but you pay for them when you order them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 07:53 am
@maxdancona,
wow.

Ok. to save some kind of face here, I have to take back every single possible statement I made about agreeing with your point of view.
There ARE a few times when the things you have said will qualify

but..seriously..
You need to get outSIDE of your self, stop being so self serving in seeking " personal enjoyment" in life and realize that you are not above rules.
People BUY things first before they use them, eat them or "enjoy" them. That is how society works. Its called TRADE. Why do you get to have your cake before you pay for it? Why do you think you are above someone else? Why do you think you should be served first?
Life enjoyment... yeah.. I get that idea/concept. I really do.

But dang... you take it to a whole new level.

Strict? Uptight?
no honey.. we just follow common rules and make sure that the respect is on an even level before we " have a little enjoyment in life"

holy ****.
0 Replies