over and above = except that?

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 08:06 pm

Context:

In July 1999 the US’ National Vaccine Information Center declared in a press release that, "The cumulative effects of ingesting mercury can cause brain damage." The same month, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) alerted the public about the possible health effects associated with thimerosal-containing vaccines. They strongly recommended that thimerosal be removed from vaccines as soon as possible. Under the directive of the FDA Modernization Act of 1997, the Food and Drug Administration also determined that infants who received several thimerosal-containing vaccines may be receiving mercury exposure over and above the recommended federal guidelines.7
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 590 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
XXSpadeMasterXX
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:25 pm
@oristarA,
No...Over and above in this quoting means exposed to amounts that are considered to be unhealthy for infants...
oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:28 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Thanks
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:40 am
@oristarA,
Your very welcome! Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:25 am

I would also say, if I may, that "over and above" means "in excess of" in the sense of "much more than". It's use is a way of emphasising a very high amount.
0 Replies