Do we think its wrong?

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:38 pm
I was Reading something the other day about a student ending up with their secondary/high school teacher. However, she was over 16 and he was 29 and now they are happily married. Do you think this is wrong?

View best answer, chosen by loopylu15
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:44 pm
@loopylu15,
in most jurisdictions the age might not be a problem, the big problem is the nature of the relationship itself, any adult could be said to have an unfair advantage over a teen, but when the adult is in a position (teacher, police officer etc) to directly influence the teen and events in their life it's even riskier
loopylu15

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:47 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah. I get what you mean, I was just thinking about the age more than the actual relationship because there is this whole taboo about having large age gaps. Personally It wouldn't bother me but I just wanted to see what other people thought. Thanks for responding.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 06:17 pm
@loopylu15,
There are several anecdotes where this worked out. (I'll post if I remember them.) Usually it is a man chumping chest scenario with his own flittering failings.

I'm not entirely negative, I've seen it work out, or at least the last I heard. Mostly not at all, but not enough for me to say just no on it as possible.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:56 am
She was 16 when this started?

Then later, they married?

He took a real risk messing around with a minor, especially his student.

I personally have heard of student/teacher hookups, but only after the student graduated (was over 18).
loopylu15

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:28 am
@PUNKEY,
I don't know how old she was but she was over 16 and I think It was after her education and he stopped being a teacher.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:51 pm
I remember a few years ago reading about a very happily married British couple with three children; he was 48 and she was 34. He had been her teacher when she was 16; they had a relationship; he was prosecuted and served a prison sentence; she waited for him and they were married when he came out. She trained to be a teacher. They agreed to be interviewed by a magazine and declared themselves to be inseparable and as much in love as when they first met.

I think this sort of outcome is very unusual.
aidan
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 03:00 pm
@contrex,
I had three friends who went out with teachers when we were in highschool. My friend Robin was 17 or 18 and this young English teacher she was going out with was about 24 or 25. Another friend I had named Lisa was going out with a psychology teacher- he looked older than mid-twenties- but I don't know how old he was for sure.
And my friend Laurie was going out with the Driver's Ed Teacher.
We all knew about it - nobody tried to keep it secret or anything. If I remember correctly Robin's parents even knew about her and the English teacher. She got accepted to the University of Pennsylvania and Rice in Houston, Texas and they told her they'd only pay for her to go to Rice, so she'd have to move far away from New Jersey so she couldn't continue to see this guy as easily, so they weren't too happy about it - but they didn't forbid her to see him or anything - and no one got fired.

I don't know, it didn't seem to be such a big deal back then. My first boyfriend was 7 years older than me. My parents didn't let me go out alone with him until I was eighteen and then after that - they expressed that they would have been really, really happy if I'd married him - they thought he was a great guy with a good future.

I mean, I don't think the significant others should be in the classes with the teacher - if they're going out with them, they should be put in a different section with a different teacher, but I wouldn't really have a problem with my 17 or 18 year old daughter going out with a 23 or 24 year old guy - and if he was a teacher, but not to her - so what? I'd even think that might be good.

I have a friend who is about ten years older than his wife and she was his student one of the first years he taught. They didn't go out when he was teaching her, but they both said the spark was always there.

My son went out with a 25 year old girl when he was 18 - they worked together. Some people are just more mature than their peers and are drawn to older people. I don't see a problem with it.
contrex

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 01:07 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Some people are just more mature than their peers and are drawn to older people. I don't see a problem with it.

This is how I feel too.
0 Replies

melisawilson

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 03:36 am
@loopylu15,
That's great if they are married and the guy has taken her responsibility but he should have thought before doing that as she was a minor at that time and he could have penalized for that.
0 Replies