If a man claims to be Jesus today, how can you tell if it is true or false?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 03:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
I take it you'll be watching Dirk Gently
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:10 pm
@izzythepush,
that is why i have stated if it is as you claim...sorry my reply was meant for cy
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 02:28 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
That's alright, easily done, you won't be watching Dirk Gently then?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 05:29 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
It seems to me, SpadeMaster, that you are thinking in terms of what you believe and then try to shape your reasoning to fit with that. In my eyes that is a backwards approach, as I would model my beliefs after what reasoning, both intellectually and intuitively (emotionally), tells me.
It seems to me that you want to believe in miracles and are looking for ways to support this belief with rational thinking. But that is not a rational approach, which means that your efforts are perhaps futile.
I mean no disrespect, but it isn't respectful towards others who seek "rational" explanations to expect them to base their views on your beliefs.
0 Replies

matttheroman

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:31 pm
@TheEnlightenedOne,
It's false, don't even think about it agan
TheEnlightenedOne

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 11:23 pm
@matttheroman,
Truth serum or an anti-psychotic should help to tell if the man on the corner is really Jesus or not.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 11:58 pm
@TheEnlightenedOne,
Be Jesus.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:12 am
@TheEnlightenedOne,
Anyone claiming to be Jesus would have to perform a miracle that is not some visual or mental trick. That isn't going to happen, because the idea of miracles are based on a book called the bible that includes too many contradictions, errors, and omissions.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
It doesn't stop the Roman Catholics attributing miracles to John Paul 2nd though.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 08:46 am
@izzythepush,
Once an individual is brainwashed to believe in miracles, the extension of it to others are relatively easy to do. They ignore all the other possibilities to conclude that a miracle was performed.
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 09:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
believe in miracles

Yet here I am.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:14 pm
I'll know he's a liar by his hairdo.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:14 pm
I'll know he's a liar by his hairdo and southern accent.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:24 pm
@JLNobody,
Color of his eyes and hair? Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 05:24 am
@TheEnlightenedOne,
TheEnlightenedOne wrote:

If a man on the street corner shouts 'I am Jesus, repent your sins and I will take you to heaven with me', what do you do?

I tell him, "I'm right here, you don't have to shout".
Fido

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 07:59 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

TheEnlightenedOne wrote:

If a man on the street corner shouts 'I am Jesus, repent your sins and I will take you to heaven with me', what do you do?

I tell him, "I'm right here, you don't have to shout".
How about: When does the bus leave???
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 08:14 am
@Fido,
Quote:
If a man claims to be Jesus today, how can you tell if it is true or false?

When he says, "Don't try to messiah than me, I have a donkey and I know how to use it."
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 09:45 pm
@TheEnlightenedOne,
TheEnlightenedOne wrote:

The 'I' representing the ego, body, mind, emotions, etc. is someday gone. Before there was the 'I', there was the unmanifested 'I'. Are we returned to the world of the unmanifested form? If so, what does it mean?

It wouldn't mean anything, because you could not even refer to it as being you or even a part of you. It would probably only be awareness but I still object to it because awareness relies on something for it's arising. If anything relies on something else for it's coming or going then you have duality right there and if there is this something in which awareness is based on for it's arising then that thing now separates the awareness and that awareness would develop the sense of "I". So what you are referring to can not exist at all, not even in awareness, it would be a non-existent existence which is nothing more than non-existence.

So there is no I before or after this I. It is a farce and it only resides in the minds of those who can not accept the fact that this I will cease to exist and never arise again.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 06:41 am
There is a theory in some theological circles that God is not even aware there is a Universe because He (She) (It) is on such a higher plane, and that the Universe is merely a by product of God's existence and energy.

Plato believed this and referred to God as the "Unmoved Mover".

I was just reading about a Scientist who is investigating and defining through visualization what a black hole actually looks like and it's appearance. It defies all quantum physics, string theory, everything we currently know and accept as fact has led some scientists to theorize that we are merely a holographic projection, a shadow if you will of the real Universe that is taking place beyond the even horizon.

Whether or not it's valid or just bullshit, it's interesting and a great mental exercise to try and wrap your head around these concepts and understand how they could be true.

I had a greater concept of these things when I was doing psychedelics.... it was easier. No joke. I still believe psychedelics have a helpful effect in spiritual areas but unfortunately I did them in huge amounts when I was younger and don't feel comfortable returning there. It did leave me the ability to permanently travel to some of those "enlightened" areas when I concentrate on it, but I wouldn't want to get there and not be able to find my way back. Laughing

Asfor God, science, whether they can coexist, whether we know anything really or we ARE just holograms...... who cares. It's fun to talk and think about, but basically it's hard enough just to keep yourself from being an asshole.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 12:46 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Worrying about the correct gender pronoun to use for a God who doesn't know men and women exist is kind of funny.

A God that isn't aware of his creations, is not at the apex of existence.

An incredibly powerful being, but not The Creator.

Presumably a Black Hole creates a connection to somewhere.

Perhaps we live in the Real Universe and everything on the other end of the singularity is reflection.

It's hard to imagine that there is an existence more real than our own. In your reading, did the author attempt to explain how this might be the case?

If there is no perceptual difference, what difference is there?

Arguing about the value of psychedelics in terms of opening one's mind is similar to arguing whether or not God exists. No proof of either.

I believe in both though.

If you fled from the use of psychedelic drugs because of bad experiences. it's probably a good idea not to give them another chance, unless you believe you have gotten past the expectation that they will send you down the rabbit hole.

Not so easy to do and a big risk, but some would consider it worth it.

0 Replies