Does life truly exist?

Fido

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:57 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

please stop preying on my word choice...

I'll try...
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:21 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Hamilton says: Life is nothing but, and you say life is just... I trust both of you actually know enough to say there is something more to life than what seems obvious to either of you... What if we say that life is the expression of will??? It may be that, but how much of life do we see and know in this great cosmos??? We see little and know less, and it does not stop any grand pronouncements from being made... Rather, our ignorance of infinites really make our bold statements seem bold and brave, and that is perhaps, their purpose...
Then I said "life" back then, I meant the word "life" not anything it may mean. What I mean is that "life" is a word. Whenever life can be defined or not depends only of what one wants the word to mean. In fact, all words can be defined, even if the definition is "Something that cannot be defined".
Fido

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:49 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:

Fido wrote:

Hamilton says: Life is nothing but, and you say life is just... I trust both of you actually know enough to say there is something more to life than what seems obvious to either of you... What if we say that life is the expression of will??? It may be that, but how much of life do we see and know in this great cosmos??? We see little and know less, and it does not stop any grand pronouncements from being made... Rather, our ignorance of infinites really make our bold statements seem bold and brave, and that is perhaps, their purpose...
Then I said "life" back then, I meant the word "life" not anything it may mean. What I mean is that "life" is a word. Whenever life can be defined or not depends only of what one wants the word to mean. In fact, all words can be defined, even if the definition is "Something that cannot be defined".
You cannot say a word without saying its meaning... Meaning is how we communicate... In the case of the word life: Life is undefined, and always shall be, but Life still has subjective meaning even if it has no objective being...
hamilton

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:11 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

manored wrote:

Fido wrote:

You cannot say a word without saying its meaning... Meaning is how we communicate... In the case of the word life: Life is undefined, and always shall be, but Life still has subjective meaning even if it has no objective being...

yes i can. especially if i dont know what it means, nor does anyone who hears it. also, is life defined by death, the experiences, the length, the effects?
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:12 pm
its strange how so many people have been replying, but no one seems to like this topic.
Fido

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 07:37 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

its strange how so many people have been replying, but no one seems to like this topic.
Any question of life is bound to remind people of their mortality...
hamilton

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:02 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

its strange how we treat death as an if, not a when, until its not far (80 years old) away. we go through life ignoring the iminent, but fear it so...
Fido

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 09:02 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

its strange how we treat death as an if, not a when, until its not far (80 years old) away. we go through life ignoring the iminent, but fear it so...
It is p ossible to know subconsciously that consciousness is impossible without life, and we cannot imagine with consciousness a situation like deat h that precludes consiousness... Can I say that more clearly??? Consciousness is a predicate to thoughts of death, and life is a predicate to consciousness so we cannot learn of death, or even give that non state a reality by thought, or imagination, so we deny it or ignore it...
manored

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 03:57 pm
Indeed. In fact, I deny that possibility, that is, the end of existance.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:52 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

It is p ossible to know subconsciously that consciousness is impossible without life, and we cannot imagine with consciousness a situation like deat h that precludes consiousness... Can I say that more clearly??? Consciousness is a predicate to thoughts of death, and life is a predicate to consciousness so we cannot learn of death, or even give that non state a reality by thought, or imagination, so we deny it or ignore it...
as a christian, i am inclined to disagree...
Fido

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 05:49 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

Why are Christians so disagreeable???
hamilton

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 05:55 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

Why are Christians so disagreeable???

why are some people so easy to disagree with???
Fido

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:25 am
@hamilton,
It could be that some people can see the contrast between black and white more clearly than others... We must not presume that because all people are people that that fact means they are all the same or have seen the same life from their perspectives... Consider that the French and the English are more united by their languages than divided, and yet the French blanche, meaning White, has become the English Black, meaning almost anything but white...
hamilton

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 09:21 am
@Fido,
uh... that was kind of a joke. but you are right.
0 Replies

haribol

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:00 am
@hamilton,
This is utterly impossible to define life or existence. Life is lived, not defined and any endeavor at labeling or terming it is trash. We have sets of identities, marks to masquerade who are. We are what we are not what we wish we were. We try to see life from a particular lens and cannot observe the fullness of it. Let us compare the life of a highly erudite individual with an illiterate rural peasant. One has a feigned character and the other somewhat natural. The former mostly acquired behavioral patterns and the other reflexive or behave instinctively, detachedly, and disconnectedly in society. The one who is connected or be part of so many social setups, religious cliques, clubs, associations looks at life from all these standpoints. Then life becomes misted, and its essences
hamilton

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 06:05 am
@haribol ,
i geuss thats because we have no reference point to do so.
0 Replies