et cetera pronounces as /it'setrə/?

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:54 pm

M-W dictionary online labels as /et-ˈse-tə-rə/.

How do you pronounce it?

Context:
whether or not the American government should have killed Osama bin Laden. I personally believe their actions were justified and am grateful for the Navy Seals and CIA agents who risked their lives, but that gets into a debate about pacificism, the appropriate use of force, just war, et cetera, going far beyond what I can possibly cover in this post.

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:17 am
You need to stop producing threads like this. Unless and until a native speaker of English can either speak to you directly, or send you a recording, this is a futile exercise. Even if a native speaker could speak to you or send you a recording, that would only be one example out of thousands of possibilities conditioned by where the speaker came from, how well he or she is educated . . . it is unrealistic for you to expect to get this help in this venue.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:00 am
@Setanta,
Well, thanks for suggesting.

Just tell me how you read it (in what you think is accepted pronunciation).
engineer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:06 am
@oristarA,
I pronounce it

et (like set minus the s) set er ah

I've also heard it:

ex set er ah

where the t is silent and the e-cet sound comes off as ex although I'm sure that is a local variant. Set is right that pronouncations are very regional and that you could get a hundred answers to this type of question with each person claiming to have the best understanding.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:24 am
@oristarA,
No. I refuse to encourage you in such a futile exercise.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:31 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I pronounce it

et (like set minus the s) set er ah

I've also heard it:

ex set er ah

where the t is silent and the e-cet sound comes off as ex although I'm sure that is a local variant. Set is right that pronouncations are very regional and that you could get a hundred answers to this type of question with each person claiming to have the best understanding.

et-ˈse-tə-rə/

Thank you.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No. I refuse to encourage you in such a futile exercise.

Flowers sing and winds blow,

Setanta's silent and dogs smile.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:40 am
My little dog smiles a lot, she's a basically cheerful creature.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

My little dog smiles a lot, she's a basically cheerful creature.

Tell her: this old dog refused to budge - he's stern and firm and resolute in his position. O you King of your realm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:56 am
Each man and woman would be the king or queen of whatever realm they survey, no matter how circumscribed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:15 am
et cetera is a latin phrase, so the correct way to pronounce it is in latin, and the way you show it, oristar, is correct except that I would pronounce the last bit as "ah".
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:49 am
Engineer is right, although Liz probably wouldn't agree. She'd probably pronounce it, It sit rah.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:58 am
@izzythepush,
Who is Liz?
Francis

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 10:00 am
@ossobuco,
She speaks queen English, my dearrr!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Liz Windsor. One of her grandchildren got married last week. Big bash all over the telly.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah, thanks, Izzy and Francis.

I'm not opposed the the queen's english though I follow both american and english english only as my whims carry me. I like the Guardianwriting generally, but this may be initial fervor of however many years, soon to dissipate.

Mostly I'm amazed that the young woman I saw on the television during her coronation is now an elderly woman.

On english, I tend to follow the New Yorker, only by glancing observation, while flitting off with my own forays.
JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
et cetera is a latin phrase, so the correct way to pronounce it is in latin,

You've really got to get over this bit of nonsense that you keep repeating, Osso. It came FROM Latin but it's been English for a good long time. When you look it up in a dictionary, note that you sometimes see "etymology" or " word origin". That gives its FORMER history.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:19 am
@ossobuco,
Ossobuco writes
I like the Guardianwriting generally

Good on you. I've been reading the Guardian for about thirty years, and couldn't go without my Daily fix. I really miss it when I go on holiday. Unfortunately, there's no problem getting papers like Murdoch's tawdry rag the Sun, abroad but the Guardian's a lot trickier. When I was in Crete, the Sun was available everywhere, but I could only get the Guardian in the capital Heraklion.

On another note, can you get Al Jazeera where you are? because that's my second favourite newschannel after the BBC, and if you can't get it you're really missing out. It gives another perspective, and seems to be the only international channel that comments on events in countries like Zambia as a matter of course.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, I get it online, as I do the Guardian and other papers.
0 Replies