Na = an acclamation sign with no meaning?

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:46 pm

Context:
A Christian Response to the Killing of Osama bin Laden
by Will Johnston at 5:31 PM on May 2nd, 2011 in Deep Thoughts, Faith, Politics
Tweet this!I stood outside the White House last night as a mass of people chanted “U-S-A” and “Na, na, na, na; na, na, na na; hey, hey, hey; good-bye.” It was as if I was experiencing an Olympic victory and a Final Four rout at the same time. People waved flags and dressed in costume. There was singing and dancing and cheering.

More:
http://willfjohnston.com/2011/05/02/a-christian-response-to-the-killing-of-osama-bin-laden/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 10:11 pm
@oristarA,
Usually spelt "Nya" in my experience.

It's a kids' taunt..."got the icecream and you didn't: nya nya nya nya nya".

It has a particular rhythm.

Ceili

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 11:19 pm
They were singing this song.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:10 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Usually spelt "Nya" in my experience.

It's a kids' taunt..."got the icecream and you didn't: nya nya nya nya nya".

It has a particular rhythm.

Thanks

How to pronounce nya? /naiə/?
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:12 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

They were singing this song.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE[/youtube]

Chinese filter sucks.

I have to use a proxy to visit youtube, which doesn't allow video digital flow.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:55 pm
@dlowan,
The 'na' isn't a 'nya' in this case and as such the specific word isn't that taunt, Deb, although the overall effect, using that particular song, [noted by Ceili] in this particular situation, is being used to taunt.

panzade

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:59 pm
@JTT,
right you are
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:00 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
How do you pronounce nya?

knee-a, knee-a, knee-a

The 'knee' is pronounced the same the word used to describe a body part; the 'a' is just like the indefinite article 'a', ---> a cat
0 Replies

dadpad
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:28 am
Quote:
Na, na, na, na; na, na, na na; hey, hey, hey; good-bye.

The na na section is fill. It fills the line of music and essentially means nothing.
If you substite the sound da da da da or ba ba ba ba or ma ma ma ma the efffect is generaly speaking the same. Na is pronounced the same as car perhaps a slightly shorter "r" sound.

Na na na (etc) in this instance has nothing to do with taunts or taunting in my opinion.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:27 pm
I think we may be getting accent effects here. It's usually pronounced like "ha ha", "tra la la", "c'est ca" (I think, I never studied French)"Obladi Oblada" for the unregenerate Beatlephiles. Now of course people are going to tell me they pronounce all of those different than I do. Such is life. In the usage here, it's more part of a taunt than an acclamation (tho not in the song).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@dadpad,
True, but the na, na, na portion has taken on a taunting meaning over time. It's often played/sung at sporting events, for instance, when a player of the opposing team is thrown out by the refs or fouls out.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:53 pm
@oristarA,
The English language had incorporated many foreign words into its vocabulary. I think 'nada' is Polish and 'na' might just be short for 'nada' meaning 'no' or some form of the negative.

The nasal sound in many many languages signifies the negative. e.g. German 'nein', Russian 'nyat', English 'no' Hindi 'nahin', Cantonese 'hmhai' nasal 'hm', French 'non', etc.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:58 pm
Nada is definitely Spanish, don't know about others, but when they sing it, it's from the song, and the song had no original negative connotation, tho the context now has given it one.
talk72000

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
Okay I got mixed up.
0 Replies