What precedent does Bin Laden's killing set?

Ionus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Whether or not someone has broken laws is itself a determination that there are things like due process for.
You mean like issuing a dead or alive warrant ?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:01 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
As an American, would you be okay with that? And if not, why is it more okay if the US does the same thing in Pakistan? How does Sunday's raid not set a terrible precedent for future international affairs?

Depends why China is killing him.

Because he wrote a book of dissident poetry?

Because he murdered 3,000 Chinese civilians on Chinese soil?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:07 am
I'm going to point out again what i've mentioned before, but in terms of where the discussion now has gone. Insisting on due process in some cases is insisting on a means of salving one's conscience for carrying out a foregone sentence. It is rank and errant hypocrisy. Police officers don't go into hostile neighborhoods to arrest armed and dangerous suspects with restraints placed on ability to defend themselves and bystanders. How much less can that be expected of military forces in foreign countries. As for Pakistan's sovereignty, given that ISI helped Al Qaeda and the Taliban to fight American troops in 2001-2002 i'd say Pakistan had little consideration coming. More than that ISI undoubtedly knew where this clown was, and had the expertise to have seized him and delivered him up.

Once again, in war the rules change. More than once the United States has asked for bin Laden to be handed over. The Sudan simply made him leave the country--and that was before September 11th. The Taliban would not hand him over after the September 11th attacks, and Pakitstan and its ISI have not helped us get our hands on him. I see no other motive for insisting on "due process" for the leader of a group which declared war on us years ago, and who has since initiated operations which have killed thousands of innocents than self-congratulation on the excellence of our moral characters. And that is something hypocritical and disgusting.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I think you may be parsing words a bit closely and arriving at an incorrect version of events. The news reports SAY that the US "wanted" or "planned" to take him alive, he fought, they had to kill him. That is the story of chronological events as claimed by the US.

My understanding is that the orders were to let him surrender if he clearly and unambiguously surrendered, but to instantly kill him on sight if there was no such clear and unambiguous surrender.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:23 am
I also forgot to add that Joe had pointed out something at the very beginning of the thread which is now being ignored in the the pious and self-congratulatory remarks about due process. That is the concept of hostem humani generis. One could argue that the motives of pirates and international terrorists are not the same, but the effects are the same. Throughout human history the concept of outlawing a person or persons when the society cannot otherwise deal with a threat has been effectively used to at the least curtail the activities of such individuals. We make romantic heroes of Leif Eriksson and his father Erik Reudi, but the fact remains that Erik ended up in Iceland because his father had been outlawed for "manslaughter" (the euphemism commonly used in Norse society for murder) and that Erik himself ended up in Greenland because he had been outlawed from Iceland. The concept of hostem humani generis in various forms had been recognized right across the globe and throughout history.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't think it's directly comparable, capturing a diabolical and long-missing terrorist, with 'a guy the Chinese government doesn't like.' OBL had no presumed innocence whatsoever, because we a) had overwhelming evidence that he was guilty, and b) he repeatedly and in detail claimed responsibility for the actions that led to his demise.

A major difference here also is that, should such a guy exist - who had caused major terror events in China and admitted it, celebrated it even - the US wouldn't have to rely upon Chinese helicopters to get the guy because we would do it ourselves if they asked. The only reason we took unilateral action in Pakistan is that they refused to do so, being somewhat corrupted by forces that support OBL. Given that, if America refused to cooperate with China in capturing an infamous and clearly guilty terrorist, I wouldn't give two shits if they came in and got the guy themselves - it would be the appropriate thing for them to do.

I agree with Cycloptichorn.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:25 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
China will soon be the dominant power in the world.

I doubt it. Even if they become a superpower, the US will remain a superpower as well.

And it may be some time before China becomes a superpower. If they even do. (It could happen, but I wouldn't bet money on it.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:30 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How many claim they are guilty, when they are in fact innocent - and there is a huge amount of evidence that they are guilty?

I don't know that Osama Bin Laden ever claimed he was guilty of terrorism. To be sure, he boasted about masterminding the 9/11 attacks. But to him, those attacks wouldn't have constituted terrorism, just freedom-fighting against American troops in Saudi Arabia. The individuals who carried out the 9/11 attacks were as terrorist to Bin Laden as the Nicaragua Contras were to Ronald Reagan: not at all. Killings are a matter of fact; terror is a matter of interpretation. And the US government's interpretation of terror is no better than anybody else's.

Let's dispense with the term terrorism. All it does is muck up the issue.

What people are objecting to when they object to terrorism is: the intentional targeting of civilians.

The 9/11 attacks were the intentional targeting and killing of thousands of civilians.

I have no idea if the Contras intentionally targeted and killed thousands of civilians, but if not they are not comparable to al-Qa'ida.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:33 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Though I do think there is a difference between purposefully targeting civilians as your primary focus and being reckless about who you kill in a mis-guided military debacle.

I think.

There is indeed a difference between "intentionally targeting civilians" and "killing civilians out of recklessness".

Both are war crimes, but there is still quite a difference.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:35 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But the Iraq invasion "purposelessly targeted civilians" as an unavoidable consequence. Baghdad was where they lived, after all. It might have been "misguided", depending on your political perspective, but I'd argue that it was more calculated than "a reckless military debacle".

The Iraq invasion did not target civilians.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:15 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I see no other motive for insisting on "due process" for the leader of a group which declared war on us years ago, and who has since initiated operations which have killed thousands of innocents than self-congratulation on the excellence of our moral characters. And that is something hypocritical and disgusting.

As one of a number of posters here you've criticized because of our preference for "due process", Setanta, I disagree that holding such a position is "hypocritical & disgusting". Perhaps this is what we genuinely believe, no other motive than that?

Could I ask you what you believe was actually achieved by Bin Laden's execution?
Do you believe that justice has been served?
You can't see any benefits at all to him being put on trial?
My clear preference (if possible) would be that he be held accountable & publicly tried, like far worse war criminals at Nuremberg.

Quote:
... It was not always thus. When the time came to consider the fate of men much more steeped in wickedness than Bin Laden – the Nazi leadership – the British government wanted them hanged within six hours of capture. President Truman demurred, citing the conclusion of Justice Robert Jackson that summary execution “would not sit easily on the American conscience or be remembered by our children with pride ... the only course is to determine the innocence or guilt of the accused after a hearing as dispassionate as the times will permit and upon a record that will leave our reasons and motives clear”. He insisted upon judgment at Nuremberg, which has confounded Holocaust-deniers ever since.

Killing instead of capturing Osama Bin Laden was a missed opportunity to prove to the world that this charismatic leader was in fact a vicious criminal, who deserved to die of old age in prison, and not as a martyr to his inhuman cause.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/geoffrey-robertson-why-its-absurd-to-claim-that-justice-has-been-done-2278041.html
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:17 am

Killing instead of capturing Osama Bin Laden was the very best outcome one could hope for.

Praise Obama for this outcome and let it go.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:22 am
@msolga,
Yes, and perhaps that it is hypocritical and disgusting is actually what i believe. I've not said that justice was served by this killing. I not only don't see that any benefit would accrue from putting him on trial, i have already pointed out that it would provide him what Lash so pointedly described as a bully pulpit, while the outcome was foreordained. It is because the outcome would have been foreordained that i would consider a trial to be hypocrisy designed only to salve the delicate consciences of the morally squeamish. The purpose which has been served has been to kill a high-ranking ememy leader in time of war.

As i haven't said that justice has been served, i see no reason why i should respond to your self-righteous screed based on the Nuremburg trials.
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:25 am
Dear Navy Seals

We have a very bad man living in a complex in the midst of our capital city, could you please come and get him

i'll give the address in code, a very popular tv show starring that Sutherland boy, a county in Southeast England, something you do to a car

thanks in advance
MI (FL of the LP of C)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:26 am

Osama was the so-called leader of a terrorists group, not a countries uniformed military. He and his followers
do not follow or fall under any of the rules of war the rest of the worlds military forces are subject to.

What precedent did Osama Bin Laden's sneak attack on the US killing over 3K civilians set?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:29 am
@Setanta,
OK, leave it here then.
But I disagree that it would necessarily be a "bully pulpit", or an exercise in hypocrisy.
What you call my "self-righteous screed" is simply my opinion in this discussion.
And I haven't denigrated you for yours.
Thomas

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:33 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Once again, in war the rules change.

But the war on terror isn't literally war. It's a metaphor, just like Johnson's war on poverty or Nixon's war on drugs. Nobody would accept your war-changes-the-rules argument if the Marines started rounding up poor people and shooting them---in Ethiopia---because the war on poverty changed the rules.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:35 am
@msolga,
In what do you allege that i have denigrated you? Do you abhor self-righteousness, and therefore consider having your opinion so described as denigration? In that case, i suggest that you eschew expessing yourself self-righteously.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:36 am
@Ionus,
He may have deserved to be arrested, detained and punished. But what he deserved wasn't part of the consideration.

Think of what a trial would have put us through. It would have been a long, painful mess that would have kept his face on the television for months.

This clearly was the best way.
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:37 am
@Thomas,
possibly, but i bet a lot wouldn't care much at all

i suspect the FBI could start rounding up and shooting poor folks in Philadelphia and they'd get standing ovations from at least some of the population