Can you understand the Indian English?

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 11:31 pm

For material load transfer, Base drawing totally different from GSI.

In GSI , internal slab rest on compacted soil with maintaining 40 mm gap from inside face of circular wall , call floating slab but with muyang it rest on circular wall.

(From India, no further context available. It sounds so weird to me.

GSI: an American company manufacturing steel warehouses - take a look at the pic below:

http://cn.gcimg.net/gcproduct/day_110103/11010314126eb7c2bb365e6839.jpg.thumb.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,547 • Replies: 15

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:24 am
It's very poorly written. I don't know that one can properly say that there is such a thing as Indian English--i believe it is correct to say that in India, British English is used. Whether or not that is true, this is a badly written passage.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:34 am
@Setanta,

generally speaking, engineers are notorious for their inability to write clean, concise sentences...
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:36 am
@Region Philbis,
Computer programmers and code writers, too . . .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 04:39 am
@Setanta,
It's not called 'British' English. It's called standard English. It was standardised during the time of Chaucer. All other types of English including American are dialectic variants. The term 'British,' English is a non starter. Britain is three countries, England Wales and Scotland and there's as much dialectic variance inside each country as there is between them. That's why the language was standardised. What do you mean by 'British English?' The dialect used in Glasgow, or Newcastle, Yorkshire, Somerset, Cardiff. They're all very very different from each other. But they're all British.

Most Americans seem to think there's just two English accents, Standard English or received pronunciation, spoken by posh people. Or the Dick Van Dyke cockney accent only spoken by Americans trying to sound English. Nobody in England ever pronounces lovely, luvverly.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 05:30 am
Cor blimey Izzy, darnt gow upsettin 'em wiv dat koind a talk.

I'm orf nah, t'sweep some more chimunnies.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:17 am
@Old Goat,
I live in the 21st Century, not the 19th. I take it you'll be moseying on down to your homestead
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:18 pm
All I can say is that our IT support has outsourced to India and
we don't understand 99 % of what the heck they're saying - I'd call it English with a very, very heavy Indian accent.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 02:10 am
@izzythepush,
" I take it you'll be moseying on down to your homestead "

Ha! Just seen this, Izzy, and sometimes wish that I could, but I've rented it out.
T'would be great to pop down the pub for a swift pint of Greene King, but there again, the weather is more predictable here with a guaranteed summer, and the open air markets can't be beaten for fresh produce.
I'll happily wait until the winter before quoffing a warm one or two....unless I decide to rent my place out for a while longer.
I must admit to getting a definite liking for bread, cheese, giant tomatoes, red wine and sunshine.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 04:37 am
@Old Goat,
Homestead? You moved to Florida?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 05:29 am
@Old Goat,
If you're in Tuscany I'm dead jealous
engineer

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
generally speaking, engineers are notorious for their inability to write clean, concise sentences...

I have read many more documents from engineers than you likely ever will and I find that they are the equal of any other group out there.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:24 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I have read many more documents from engineers than you likely ever will and I find that they are the equal of any other group out there.

That's hardly a recommendation.
engineer

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:27 am
@Setanta,
Smile
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:23 am
@izzythepush,
"If you're in Tuscany I'm dead jealous "

No, I went to Tuscany once, but kept on having my bottom pinched.

Upon reflection, I should never have worn that mankini.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 07:41 am
@Old Goat,
If you've got the figure you flaunt it.
0 Replies