silly = daffy? takes jabs = jokes about? birther = ?

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:19 am

Context:

Obama, from serious to silly
Dan Zak

President jokes about the GOP, NPR and Donald Trump and, in a nod to “birther” controversy, shows crowd with what he calls his “official birth video.”

View Photo Gallery —  President takes jabs at Republicans, NPR, Donald Trump and the “birther” controversy.

More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-moves-from-serious-to-silly-at-correspondents-dinner/2011/04/30/AF1GYlOF_story.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 493 • Replies: 8
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:03 am
@oristarA,
Why has this thread ignored by everyone?

I guess they all probably love Bill Clinton too much.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:09 am
What the hell does Clinton have to do with it?

I don't know why you want a definition of silly, but daffy would work, although it's a poor substitute. Look up both words, silly and daffy are not necessarily equivalent.

Birthers are a segment of reactionary Americans (reactionary meaning extremely conservative, in terms of politics) who claim that Mr. Obama was not born in the United States and therefore not eligible for the office of President. This has lately been revived by Mr. Donald Trump, a would-be Republican nominee for President in 2012, who demanded that Mr. Obama produce his birth certificate.

To take jabs at someone means to ridicule them. It is a figure of speech taken from the sport of boxing, in which a boxer will frequently jab at the opponent--make quick, straight blows at them--in order to keep them off balance until a heavy blow can be landed.

Are you happy now, or do you want to whine some more about people not responding quickly enough to suit you?
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What the hell does Clinton have to do with it?

I don't know why you want a definition of silly, but daffy would work, although it's a poor substitute. Look up both words, silly and daffy are not necessarily equivalent.

Birthers are a segment of reactionary Americans (reactionary meaning extremely conservative, in terms of politics) who claim that Mr. Obama was not born in the United States and therefore not eligible for the office of President. This has lately been revived by Mr. Donald Trump, a would-be Republican nominee for President in 2012, who demanded that Mr. Obama produce his birth certificate.

To take jabs at someone means to ridicule them. It is a figure of speech taken from the sport of boxing, in which a boxer will frequently jab at the opponent--make quick, straight blows at them--in order to keep them off balance until a heavy blow can be landed.

Are you happy now, or do you want to whine some more about people not responding quickly enough to suit you?

Okay. Thank you for replying.

I've mistaken Clinton for Obama.

In recent days, A2K guys have replied more quick than before.

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:01 am
@oristarA,
Well, when i get up in the morning (usually very early), there are dozens of new threads and thousands of new posts. It's easy to miss them, and most people posting here are probably on a daily schedule of GMT -5 hours, -6 hours, -7 hours or -8 hours (i.e., eastern time zone, central time zone, mountain time zone, Pacific time zone). So, when it's ten o'clock in the morning in London, it's 5:00 a.m. in New York, 4:00 a.m. in Chicago, 3:00 a.m. in Denver and 2:00 a.m. in Los Angeles.

Of course, it's not just Americans and Canadians who respond. But they make up the majority here. If you post a thread which does not get a response, and you have the opportunity, figure out what time it is in the United States and Canada, and come post "bump." That's known as "bumping up a thread" to bring it to the attention of other members.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:11 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

http://able2know.org/topic/171361-2#post-4590768
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:30 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Well, when i get up in the morning (usually very early), there are dozens of new threads and thousands of new posts. It's easy to miss them, and most people posting here are probably on a daily schedule of GMT -5 hours, -6 hours, -7 hours or -8 hours (i.e., eastern time zone, central time zone, mountain time zone, Pacific time zone). So, when it's ten o'clock in the morning in London, it's 5:00 a.m. in New York, 4:00 a.m. in Chicago, 3:00 a.m. in Denver and 2:00 a.m. in Los Angeles.

Of course, it's not just Americans and Canadians who respond. But they make up the majority here. If you post a thread which does not get a response, and you have the opportunity, figure out what time it is in the United States and Canada, and come post "bump." That's known as "bumping up a thread" to bring it to the attention of other members.

Yeah. Thanks for reminding me of that.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:33 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

oristarA wrote:

http://able2know.org/topic/171361-2#post-4590768

Diversification is very normal.

I encourage you join Robert's group.

Thank you.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:47 pm
@Setanta,
Someone fell out of the wrong side of the bed.
0 Replies