42p = 42 pounds? Pennies? Five portions = ?

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:07 am
@oristarA,
Which is heavier, Oristar, 115 ml of lettuce, or 115 ml of beans? You just don't get it. That's not my fault, though, and i'm not going to waste any more time--you're being pig-headed.
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
Me wrote:
3. A sum of money under one pound such as forty-two pence can be written causally as 42p but as before, it is more precisely written as £0.42.

Of course I meant "casually"

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Which is heavier, Oristar, 115 ml of lettuce, or 115 ml of beans? You just don't get it. That's not my fault, though, and i'm not going to waste any more time--you're being pig-headed.

Make both lettuce and beans into water-like juice, with same volumn they would have about the same weight.

So you may enjoy your remark.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:56 am
@oristarA,
You still aren't getting it oristarA.

It's a common joke for kids in English: "What is heavier, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?"

You'll learn more easily if you don't let your pride get in the way. Several times over the last few days you have rejected correct answers. Doing this isn't just bad for you in that you aren't absorbing what you should but also because you are going to make people unwilling to help you.
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Expressing disagreement is as important a language function as anything else, Robert.
oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Expressing disagreement is as important a language function as anything else, Robert.

I can't agree more.

Personal remarks are far worse than expressing disagreement.
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:11 pm
Esl, English, Grammar, Efl, Not Grammar

Now there's five tags that will really be helpful for finding this thread.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:01 pm
@oristarA,
You must consider the origin of food preparation. It is usually done by women and they don't carry scales with them when they went grocery shopping in the market. They pick fruits and vegetables by the handful thus it is akin to volume. Men did the hunting and fighting. You weigh things only when you buy and it is the sales person who weigh the food.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:48 pm
@JTT,
Ideally said disagreement occurs when one is not being stubbornly wrongheaded with the people trying to help him.
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There really aren't that many opportunities given for an EFL to participate in many of the functions of English. As a teacher, which you were, you realize that it is important to seize any opportunity to advance a student's language parameters.

Perhaps what you saw as stubborn wrongheadedness was a second language learner's unfamiliarity with the language appropriate to the situation.

You make it sound like the people trying to help are saints that need never be questioned. That isn't what a teacher does IMHO. Developing extended forms of disagreement is vital to language learning.

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:23 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

There really aren't that many opportunities given for an EFL to participate in many of the functions of English. As a teacher, which you were, you realize that it is important to seize any opportunity to advance a student's language parameters.

Perhaps what you saw as stubborn wrongheadedness was a second language learner's unfamiliarity with the language appropriate to the situation.

You make it sound like the people trying to help are saints that need never be questioned. That isn't what a teacher does IMHO. Developing extended forms of disagreement is vital to language learning.

This point hits home!

Open-mindedness is far better than Sister Sierra's ruler.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:34 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

You must consider the origin of food preparation. It is usually done by women and they don't carry scales with them when they went grocery shopping in the market. They pick fruits and vegetables by the handful thus it is akin to volume. Men did the hunting and fighting. You weigh things only when you buy and it is the sales person who weigh the food.

Thank you.

It began to become clearer.

But what I don't understand is that how you measure the volume? IMO, you pick a veg and weigh it and buy it on the amount of weight that you want.

I think that the confusion might be cause by the definition of the volume here. Does it mean: the amount of space that is contained within an object or solid shape?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:51 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
You weigh things only when you buy and it is the sales person who weigh the food.

Not in some cultures. I think that might be part of Oristar's confusion.

For instance, American cookbooks quantify amounts of solids in recipes by volume - as in 1 cup flour or sugar or butter - where as British cookbooks quantify by weight - as in 250 grams of flour, sugar or butter.

A scale is a necessary tool in a British cook's kitchen, whereas it isn't at all in an American cook's kitchen.

I'm constantly asking the same question Oristar asked here when I'm using a British cookbook - because I haven't got a scale in my kitchen. I could go out and buy a scale, but it's not necessary when I have the internet and can get instant conversions from weight to volume that way.

Maybe where he lives they measure foodstuffs more commonly by weight than volume- in the home as well as in the store.
JTT

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:03 pm
@aidan,
Those scales must get awfully messy. Wink
aidan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:12 pm
@JTT,
I don't use them. It seems like a heck of a lot of trouble - I guess they have to weigh the measuring cup and then allow for that when they weigh the ingredient.

I just take the recipe and get my conversions and use my measuring cups - so much easier.
oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:13 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I don't use them. It seems like a heck of a lot of trouble - I guess they have to weigh the measuring cup and then allow for that when they weigh the ingredient.

I just take the recipe and get my conversions and use my measuring cups - so much easier.

Please tell me how to measure the green veg in the pic below with your cup.

http://www.picupload.us/images/00b.jpg
aidan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:05 am
@oristarA,
Well Oristar, if I were making a salad with lettuce and using a recipe - which is not something I would usually do - but say I was - in my experience, the recipe would say:
'Use the leaves from one head of lettuce' or 'two heads of lettuce' or 1/2 a head of lettuce' or 'fill up a salad bowl with lettuce leaves' -unless the lettuce was supposed to be shredded and then it might say, 'use two cups shredded lettuce', and then I would put shredded lettuce in a cup until it reached the top twice.

Or say I was making cole slaw - then it would tell me to use 'six cups finely shredded cabbage' or something like that, so then I would shred enough cabbage to fill up six one cup measuring cups.

That's how I would use my measuring cups to measure that green veg.

Here's an example:
1 head lettuce cut up
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 onion, diced
1 pkg. green frozen peas, uncooked
1 cup mayo

Again, I think it's a cultural thing. I grew up cooking in America and I've been cooking since I was a young child - so I'm used to using measuring cups.
Where I'm from the recipes that call for vegetables usually say things like, 'Peel and dice eight potatoes' or 'six tomatoes' or thoroughly rinse three cups of broccoli florets'- they very rarely say, 'peel and dice five pounds of potatoes' and I've never, ever seen a recipe that asked me to weigh lettuce leaves for a salad.
I'm not saying you haven't, but I haven't.

And it is true that for the purposes of the five servings of vegetable they're talking about in your example, the amounts would or could be considerably different.
For instance, you would need to eat cups and cups of lettuce to get the same amount of nutrients you could get in a much smaller amount of broccoli as broccoli is denser in nutrients than lettuce - which is mostly water.

oristarA

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:10 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Well Oristar, if I were making a salad with lettuce and using a recipe - which is not something I would usually do - but say I was - in my experience, the recipe would say:
'Use the leaves from one head of lettuce' or 'two heads of lettuce' or 1/2 a head of lettuce' or 'fill up a salad bowl with lettuce leaves' -unless the lettuce was supposed to be shredded and then it might say, 'use two cups shredded lettuce', and then I would put shredded lettuce in a cup until it reached the top twice.

Or say I was making cole slaw - then it would tell me to use 'six cups finely shredded cabbage' or something like that, so then I would shred enough cabbage to fill up six one cup measuring cups.

That's how I would use my measuring cups to measure that green veg.

Here's an example:
1 head lettuce cut up
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 onion, diced
1 pkg. green frozen peas, uncooked
1 cup mayo

Again, I think it's a cultural thing. I grew up cooking in America and I've been cooking since I was a young child - so I'm used to using measuring cups.
Where I'm from the recipes that call for vegetables usually say things like, 'Peel and dice eight potatoes' or 'six tomatoes' or thoroughly rinse three cups of broccoli florets'- they very rarely say, 'peel and dice five pounds of potatoes' and I've never, ever seen a recipe that asked me to weigh lettuce leaves for a salad.
I'm not saying you haven't, but I haven't.

And it is true that for the purposes of the five servings of vegetable they're talking about in your example, the amounts would or could be considerably different.
For instance, you would need to eat cups and cups of lettuce to get the same amount of nutrients you could get in a much smaller amount of broccoli as broccoli is denser in nutrients than lettuce - which is mostly water.

Thanks.

I wonder how you arrange your 5 portions a day.

Five porptions go with 3 times meal (breakfast, lunch and supper) a day. How?

How many cups are one portion of lettuce?

contrex

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:24 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I wonder how you arrange your 5 portions a day.

Five porptions go with 3 times meal (breakfast, lunch and supper) a day. How?

How many cups are one portion of lettuce?

You can have more than one kind of vegetable in a traditional meal, (Westerners generally do, but this 5 a day thing addresses the junk diets many people have lapsed into) - "meat and two veg" is a traditional UK thing, e.g. lamb chop,potatoes and peas or beans, and a "portion" of lettuce is an amount that you feel happy with. Nutrition is a science, cooking is an art.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:29 am
@oristarA,
Well, I try to eat blueberries every day for breakfast, as they're very dense in nutrients and antioxidents and I like to eat them on my cereal.

I also really love apples, pears, plums, peaches - so I always have a bowl of fruit and will eat one or two pieces a day as a snack - usually while I'm cooking supper- because that's when I'm hungry.

I'm also very lucky in that I enjoy vegetables quite a lot - especially things like asparagus and broccoli, spinach, squash, tomatoes, etc., etc...even brussel sprouts so I always have at least two vegetables with my evening meal - and sometimes I'll eat two helpings of whatever vegetables I have- I'm much more drawn to vegetable than meat.

So, I kind of space them out through the day.
I don't know what other people do.

The other day I made this sort of vegetable stew with lentils, onions, leeks, parsnips, swede, and carrots - one bowl of that would provide quite a large proportion of your daily requirements of vegetables.

I can't remember exactly, but I know I read a week or two ago that someone would have to eat several cups of lettuce to get the same nutritional value they'd get eating three broccoli florets.
0 Replies