The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 10:39 am
and because Lainey's awesome, here's her take on it

http://www.laineygossip.com/meghan-markles-beagle-guy-rides-with-queen-elizabeth-on-the-way-to-windsor-castle/49939
firefly

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 10:46 am
@ehBeth,
Guy's story is the real fairy tale. Very Happy

I think the Queen and I could become really good buddies.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 10:49 am
@firefly,
Friends of friends in the local dog rescue community were over the moon as they'd met Guy when he first came to Toronto and I hear some of the rescue riders involved are just thrilled to have been part of the story.

Adopt don't Shop Very Happy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 01:18 pm
Quote:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/32D7/production/_101751031_e7c7fbd5-55eb-40d3-922b-12e38c6f688c.jpg

A coat of arms created for the Duchess of Sussex that reflects her Californian background has been unveiled.

It includes a shield containing the colour blue, representing the Pacific Ocean, and rays, symbolising sunshine.

The duchess worked closely with the College of Arms in London to create the design, Kensington Palace said.

The lion supporting the shield relates to her husband, the Duke of Sussex, and dates back to the House of Stuart's ascent to the throne in 1603.

The songbird supporting the shield on the right relates to the Duchess of Sussex.

Traditionally wives of members of the Royal Family have two - one of their husband's supporters on the shield and one relating to themselves.

Beneath the shield is California's state flower - the golden poppy - and Wintersweet, a flower that grows at Kensington Palace and was also depicted on the duchess' wedding veil.

The three quills illustrate the power of words and communication.

The duchess has also been assigned a coronet bearing fleurs-de-lys and strawberry leaves.

Garter King of Arms Thomas Woodcock, who is based at the College of Arms said: "The Duchess of Sussex took a great interest in the design.

"Good heraldic design is nearly always simple and the Arms of The Duchess of Sussex stand well beside the historic beauty of the quartered British Royal Arms.

"Heraldry as a means of identification has flourished in Europe for almost nine hundred years and is associated with both individual people and great corporate bodies such as cities, universities and, for instance, the livery companies in the City of London."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44258461
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 03:08 pm
Good god, that’s hideous. It looks like the bird has been collared and is trying to escape.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 03:30 pm
@Lash,
It's not a Peanuts cartoon, Coats of Arms aren't supposed to be cuddly and cute.
Lash

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 04:18 pm
@izzythepush,
The bird makes it look like a cartoon.
Featuring a choking bird.
firefly

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 04:36 pm
@Lash,
I agree with you.

It would look better if the crown was on the bird's head or simply omitted.
Lash

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 04:48 pm
@firefly,
That would be an improvement.
The way the bird’s mouth looks is a bit problematic for me, as well. It appears to be a distressed bird grimace, like an enormous fly flew down its throat and he’s trying desperately to hock it up.

Oh well. She didn’t ask my opinion. I guess I’ll have to live with it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:09 am
@firefly,
heraldry is a science in itself, certain things have to be put in, and whether or not animals look one way or the other or have their mouths open or shut affects the meaning.

Meg seems happy with it, she's an effing duchess.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 08:29 am
@Lash,
I've had a quick look at some explanation for the design, first thing that popped up was a Time magazine article.

Quote:
When a woman marries into the royal family, she is given a “supporter”—one of the figures on either side of the shield—and takes one of her husband’s, Kensington Palace explains. “The Supporter relating to The Duchess of Sussex is a songbird with wings elevated as if flying and an open beak, which with the quill represents the power of communication,” the statement says. The other supporter, a lion, is one of Prince Harry’s.

http://time.com/5292101/meghan-markle-coat-of-arms/

So if the beak was not open it would not represent communication. When you look at all of the meanings and protocol that has to be followed it doesn't look like there's a huge amount of choice over what goes into the design
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 08:31 am
@izzythepush,
I’d read the explanation. I limited my comments on what it looks like.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 08:41 am
@Lash,
To be honest, I'm not that bothered, I'm only posting on here for my American friends who are interested in the Royal family. Heraldry is something that goes right back to Edward III if not earlier, the rules are very strict and procedures have to be followed. I can't see that being updated very soon, if nothing else it is something that stands out and makes us a bit different.

This is a BBC magazine article on the Middleton's coat of arms and how they came about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13127328
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 08:56 am
@izzythepush,
My family has a coat of arms. Maybe all families do? I find genealogical research and things like heraldry interesting.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:39 am
@Lash,
According to the article, a university degree or membership of a professional association is all that's needed so lots of us could apply. Someone from your family could have done so in the past, but it might have been someone else with the same surname.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 11:40 am
@izzythepush,
Growing up, they were sort of a big deal, prominently displayed in my home. Mother and dad’s surnames, on a field of red felt—haha, thinking of an Elvis painting. I think they were a family gift for an anniversary or some such from a deeper-pocketed relation.

Edit: the crest was quite fine carved wood pieces attached to the felt background.

I remember standing there as a kid, taking in the details. Now, memory is vague. Don’t know where they wound up.

Tracing family was a big deal though, even among lesser-heeled family. A lovely, very informative genealogy of one branch of my family was published years after my birth. I was among the last generation in my family to appear in the book.

We were traced back to the 1600s with some notable attachments. I was mesmerized with the story and a surprising long-past connection of my grandmother and grandfather’s family connections in Britain a few hundred years before their meeting in the states.

Anyway. Just nostalgic noise now.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 11:47 am
@Lash,
Were they from the North East? Your use of words like bairn is what prompted the question.

there are souvenir places that sell them, my dad had one of those, actually two because our current name was supposedly adopted back in the day. I've not really looked into it to be honest.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 12:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Selling, Faversham Hundred, Kent

So, quite south at the time he left for Virginia. I can go back a bit further.

Edit: The two preceding two generations are also at the same family seat in Kent. And that’s my dead end. 1515.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 12:25 pm
The first time I’ve ever tried a search like this.

My ancestor and his connection to the other branch of my family is mentioned in this writing.

Don’t read it—it’s rambling and for no purpose. I’d never say what names they are, but this is ******* amazing.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/pp38-50
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 12:45 pm
@Lash,
My family is from Oop North but I was born in Gillingham. I remember going to Faversham as a kid, they had a really good second hand bookshop.

https://sites.create-cdn.net/siteimages/28/3/7/283738/16/3/9/16393518/2000x1500.jpg?1524925878