The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:11 pm
@izzythepush,
My god, the proximity.
I’m going to have to come. I want to see that manor house and the view of those folks. (Wonder if it still exists—even as ruins)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:42 pm
@Lash,
My paternal ancestors lived here just around the corner, since (at least) 1287 on the "curte Hentlare". (Dithmaro de Hinthlere, the first known Hinteler, testified a document in that year.)
It took me ages to find a map, where that 'farmhouse/mansion' aka "curte" was mapped
https://i.imgur.com/aGCEmay.jpg
('Hinteler' is the - still existing - farming community. The largest farmer got "Schulte" added [abbreviated "Sch." in that map from around 1800] to his name.)
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Holy ****! That’s so cool.

In other news, my husband’s parents migrated from The Palatine. References to trump’s family are discouraged.

Edit: The Palatinate?
Real Music

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 02:49 pm
Quote:
The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

Yes, the coverage is way past overkill. I rather watch paint dry.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 03:10 pm
@Lash,
I can't remember. I remember it's quite a nice spot, and my dad bought me a suit there once, (which I hated btw, it was really uncomfortable with fabric that made my legs itch.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 03:11 pm
@Lash,
When you google it there's more than one manor house round Faversham. I don't know which one.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
I’m not trying to be coy on purpose, but this is my direct hereditary line, and I don’t feel comfortable divulging my predecessor’s name and manor, though his name and manor is listed on the link.

I hate coyness, and apologize for stopping short of more information about my ancestors.

Unless you want to blood/spit swear about your particulars through some other venue... try to establish a bit of trust.

Up to you.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 03:20 pm
@Lash,
I don't blame you. I don't think you're being coy just sensible. My memories of Faversham are hazy at best. We moved away from Kent when I was 14, and I've only been back there once, (trips to Dover ferry excluded,) and then I didn't go anywhere near Faversham.

Now if we're talking South Hants, Somerset and Dorset I can be a lot more specific.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 03:54 pm
@izzythepush,
So funny, these name-places. My ancestor migrated to a Somerset County in the states.

The kids and I were planning a trip to visit Wales (DH Lawrence!), Scotland, Ireland (other familial bonds) and a bit of England (Thomas Hardy.) Looks like, suddenly, I need a southerly dip to Kent (my own damn family).

Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:12 pm
So, in freaky news, the Venerable Bede wrote up a detailed piece about my forebears. This is quite surprising. He’s followed them down to 590AD.

The family was in possession of a castle in Surrey County.

roger

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:38 pm
@Lash,
Probably mortgaged to the hilt.
Lash

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 09:43 pm
@roger,
Heh. The upkeep alone could bankrupt a good Saxon.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 May, 2018 11:44 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
In other news, my husband’s parents migrated from The Palatine. References to trump’s family are discouraged.

Edit: The Palatinate?
The German Palatines were early 18th century emigrants from the Middle Rhine, Alsace, Switzerland etc., including a minority from the Palatinate which gave its name to the entire group.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 02:56 am
@Lash,
Hardy and Usten are quite big around here. Hardy's cottage is a tourist attraction in Dorset, and Winchester celebrated the bicentennial anniversary of her death last year.

https://www.britainexpress.com/images/attractions/editor3/Hardys-Cottage-1351.jpg

Hardy's cottage

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/business/2017/07/18/TELEMMGLPICT000131078726_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg?imwidth=480

Jane Austen on the new tenner.

Btw, did you notice that in Britannia the tribe Cantii gave their name to Kent?

If you were born in Kent you're either a Man/Maid of Kent or a Kentish Man/Maid depending on what side of the river you were born on. (I'm the former.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 05:08 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
So, in freaky news, the Venerable Bede wrote up a detailed piece about my forebears. This is quite surprising. He’s followed them down to 590AD.
That really is quite surprising since the oldest (known) extant original charter, now in the Canterbury Cathedral archive, was issued nearly 100 years later (in 679) by King Hlothhere of Ken.

We don't have any original sources of the Saxons* (and Frisians and Jutes, to name the others who invaded the British Isles) here, in their "homeland", from that period.
Places were first mentioned in the Ravenna Cosmography (written about 700) - the 'England section' here @ web. archive.

*The Saxons weren't people with a central institutions like the Franks or the Lombards, but disintegrated into a multitude of tribes, which were held together at best by the common belief in gods like Saxnot and Wodan.
At the head of the various ethnic groups were leaders who can be addressed as little kings, princes or clan chiefs. In the event of war, they drew a leader from among themselves. But the question of whether he was at the head of all Saxons or only led a few tribes must remain open.

My family name is of Old Saxon [language] origin, meaning "a (fenced) meadow, where the hint [female deer] comes out".
Lash

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 05:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The family is cited in Bede’s Opera Historical, Vol. 1.
Lash

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 05:47 am
@Lash,
I’m finding out new information today—that I was just unable to find so many years ago.

Although we did have ideas about the name meaning (from a pretty specific family creed), I just read that the name is suspected to derive from Middle German, meaning “branch or seedling”. There is a more general translation, widely accepted.

Also just read for the first time that the immigrant fled England because he’d supported Charles II, and was likely avoiding a beheading.

Called “the ancient family from Snodland Parish.”
Lash

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:00 am
@izzythepush,
I adore Hardy. I’m not going to pretend to have completed all of his novels (though now, I’m so compelled to give some another look), but Far From the Madding Crowd, as formulaic as it is, is my most beloved novel and film. The English countryside is a featured character to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:17 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The family is cited in Bede’s Opera Historical, Vol. 1.
And that was written later than 730.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 06:19 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
the name is suspected to derive from Middle German, meaning “branch or seedling”.
Middle High German, I suppose. (Otherwise, it would refer to various dialects in central Germany.)