How to comfort my crying girlfriend ?

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:47 pm
My girlfriend had a bad dream last night that she saw her favorite actor die. She's been crying about it all day. How can I comfort her ?

Mame

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:52 pm
@Catzanddogz,
Tell her it was just a dream.
roger

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:58 pm
@Mame,
That sounds like a "guy answer".
Butrflynet

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:02 pm
@Catzanddogz,
Tell her it could be worse, it could already be 2012.

Seriously, do an online search for current news of her favorite actor and show it to her.

Then, ask her what is really going on and what has her so upset. Be fully present and listen to what she has to say. Don't try to be Mr. Fix-it, just be a good listener and friend.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:35 pm
@roger,
Yeah, well... in some ways I am a guy at heart.
0 Replies

Catzanddogz

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 06:48 pm
@Mame,
I tried to tell her but she's still crying.
Mame

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:09 pm
@Catzanddogz,
WHY is she crying? And how old is she?
sozobe

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:10 pm
@Catzanddogz,
Maybe ask her why it upsets her so much -- maybe her last boyfriend died and she's still processing it and this dream was her way of expressing her fear of losing you? I mean I have no idea, but if it upsets her that much there might be a reason, and if you want to help her stop being upset, getting to that reason might help.
0 Replies

Catzanddogz

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:19 pm
@Mame,
She's 18. She's scared her favorite celebrity is gonna die because she had a nightmare about it.
chai2

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:22 pm
@Catzanddogz,
She sounds very immature.

Tell her children are starving all over the world, and she's worried about Justin Bieber.
roger

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:22 pm
@Catzanddogz,
I was kind of afraid of that. She not only doesn't have precognition, but if she did, it would only record the future - not change it. I think you're going to just wait it out, because I don't believe this is something that is going to respond to reason.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:23 pm
@chai2,
C'mon Chai. She's got a problem, and now it's his.
chai2

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

C'mon Chai. She's got a problem, and now it's his.

It's only his problem because he's made it that way.

She doesn't have a problem, she needs to grow up and put things in perspective.

I'll tell ya right now, she's not pulling this **** with her girlfriends, because she knows they would tell her to knock it off.

She's doing this to get attention from him.
roger

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:31 pm
@chai2,
Then I change my suggestion. He should tell her to try it out on her girlfriends, and see how it works out.

What if they all start bawling, and blame him?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:37 pm
We ALL think Charlie Sheen is going to die.

It's just a matter of time.

Catzanddogz

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:47 pm
@PUNKEY,
It's a female actress who she really likes.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
You and Mame! I think you two have a lot in common.

That's a compliment, by the way.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:11 pm
@chai2,
Agree completely. Quit feeding into, get away from her crying and she'll soon stop. Might call you a jerk, but she'll stop.

Makes me wonder what else makes her cry all day.
CoastalRat

Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:30 am
Seriously?? She had a dream about a favorite actress dying and now she's been crying all day? Tell her to grow up and stop acting so stupid.

Sorry so blunt, but really. Come on, she had a dream about someone she doesn't even know and she is crying ALL DAY over it?
Phoenix32890

Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:31 am
@CoastalRat,
I have two thoughts about this. Either she is extremely immature, or she is really crying about something else.

Little kids often think that it is their fault when something bad happens to someone, especially their siblings or parents. Most children have outgrown this perception by the time that they are eighteen. If your girlfriend thinks that she can control the destiny of a stranger from afar, she has more problems than a layman would be able to handle.

If she is crying about something else, like the death of someone that she loved, you might want to (gently) help her to talk about it.
0 Replies