When Did You Realize What Love Is?

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:43 pm
I mean a fully realized mature understanding of what love is, not just romantic love or times you thought you were in love.

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
It's still a mystery to me (with apologies to John Sebastian).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:07 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Evolutionary Biology, junior year of college.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:08 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
May 23, 2003. It was a Friday.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
@Irishk,
Laughing Wink
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Early on, I think.

A watershed moment happened when I was a freshman in college, involved with my first love. I woke up in the middle of the night and sat straight up in bed, realizing that my sweetheart (who had followed me to that college) was only there because of me. He was trying to be what he thought I wanted or deserved. The truth hit me...he didn't really belong there. He belonged in a different sort of life entirely. Despite the fact that I had very deep feelings for him, I broke up with him the next day. I wanted what was right for him, even though it meant losing him. That is real love. Sure enough, he quit college at the end of the semester. The last time I heard anything about him, it appeared he made a nice life for himself, the kind of life I envisioned for him. With all my heart, I hope he has been happy.

Really great subject for a thread, bvt.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:47 pm
When I met the woman who would later become my wife.

Even though I was attracted to her, I was very hestitant to ask her out or
try to move our friendship to another level. It took me a while to realize
why I was so reluctant. It was because if I got involved with this woman,
it was not going to be anything other than serious. And then it hit me
why it was going to be so serious. Because I was in love.

I've always been a bit slow on the uptake.
dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:09 pm
@George,
George wrote:

When I met the woman who would later become my wife.

Even though I was attracted to her, I was very hestitant to ask her out or
try to move our friendship to another level. It took me a while to realize
why I was so reluctant. It was because if I got involved with this woman,
it was not going to be anything other than serious. And then it hit me
why it was going to be so serious. Because I was in love.

I've always been a bit slow on the uptake.

What he said! Twice over.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:11 pm
0 Replies

melisawilson

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 04:20 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
When I saw a man always compromising is comfort for providing me everything that I look for.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 04:45 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
"I mean a fully realized mature understanding of what love is, not just romantic love or times you thought you were in love. "

When my tinkle first got a bone in it.
0 Replies

Pukka Sahib

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 06:44 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
It is said that love is the greatest of all virtues; however given love’s transience, its claim to greatness is doubtful at best. Certainly, love in its purest form has virtue. True love is exemplified by selflessness, the rarest of all virtues; but there have been scarce few saints in this world, and most of them martyrs for the sake of goodness. For the rest of us lesser mortals, love is but an emotion - a rather selfish one at that; and while many would credit it more than its worth, as many have come to grief for it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:04 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I mean a fully realized mature understanding of what love is, not just romantic love or times you thought you were in love.

I am always so late to these parties....

I fully realized and understood what love was when I decided to leave my husband. That's right, I learned what it was by learning what it wasn't.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 03:38 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
I fully realized and understood what love was when I decided to leave my husband. That's right, I learned what it was by learning what it wasn't.

This statement was so true for me too. I left my husband because I knew that this was not what love is supposed to be. I learned differently from watching my parents and knew that there is someone better suitable out there - and there was/is, thank goodness!
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 07:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
Glad to know I'm not the only one, CJane.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 08:49 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
when i was single.

seriously.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2011 08:51 pm
actually.. let me take that back.

Not just when I was single, but when I finally decided to end my marriage. I never ended it because I hated him. I ended it because I could not love him.

Now I love him the way I should. I mistook what was a great friend for a lover. yes , the two can exist, but for me the two do not exist in that man. Thats when i knew what love was.
0 Replies