GPA putting you at the bottom of the class ?

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:38 am

1) GPA =?
2) putting you at the bottom of the class =?

Context:

User A:

I guess its too late to be having these thoughts since im already accepted, but do people still have time to go out on the weekends? Do people hoenstly study from morning til midnight every day? I find i hard to believe people claim not to be able to find an hour or 2 to go out for a drink or hiking.

User B:

Medical school is taking 24 credit hours of science courses a semester with a 3.0 GPA putting you at the bottom of the class.

That's about it. How bad that is and how much work that requires will depend on you...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 974 • Replies: 18

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:43 am
@oristarA,
Grade point average.

Most schools use a scale of 0-4 to numerically track a student's overall performance. Each A earns a 4.0, each B=3.0, C=2.0, etc. The variants of the letter grades are accounted for as well (B+ = 3.33, B- = 2.67). All of the grades are averaged and presented as a cumulative grade point average.

A student with a 3.0 GPA (solid B student) is at the bottom of the class of students admitted to med school.
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:46 am
@oristarA,
GPA: Grade Point Average

An A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C: 2.0, etc.

Your GPA is the average of the various grades you received. So if you get all A's, then you have a 4.0 GPA.

Then, separately, there are class rankings. The people with the highest GPA are at the top of the class, the people with the lowest GPA are at the bottom of the class.

In that sentence, someone is saying how difficult medical school is, and how competitive it is. A 3.0 GPA is not generally that bad, but in medical school, everyone does so well that a 3.0 could put you at the bottom of the class ranking.
dadpad

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:46 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Most schools use a scale of ...

Most schools in the US (and Canada??).
We do not have GPA in Australia.

oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:48 am
@JPB,
Thank you.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:49 am
@dadpad,
Yeah, probably. I have no idea about European grading scales either.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 08:57 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

GPA: Grade Point Average

An A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C: 2.0, etc.

Your GPA is the average of the various grades you received. So if you get all A's, then you have a 4.0 GPA.

Then, separately, there are class rankings. The people with the highest GPA are at the top of the class, the people with the lowest GPA are at the bottom of the class.

In that sentence, someone is saying how difficult medical school is, and how competitive it is. A 3.0 GPA is not generally that bad, but in medical school, everyone does so well that a 3.0 could put you at the bottom of the class ranking.

Excellent!
Thank you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 10:31 am
@dadpad,
You have schools in Australia!?

Smile
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 10:39 am
@JTT,
No.
They already know everything.

Joe(go ahead. ask them.)Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 11:29 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Quote:
Most schools use a scale of ...

Most schools in the US (and Canada??).
We do not have GPA in Australia.

It is not used in Canada either.
raprap

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 11:47 am
@oristarA,
Old PU (Purdue) uses a six point system---I always have to explain a 5.7 GPA to anyone not familiar with PU.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Canada has a wide mix but the 4.0 GPA is fairly widely used.

CANADIAN UNIVERSITY GRADING SYSTEMS
The following table shows the grade points and percentages used at Canadian universities.

http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/facstaff/grading/system/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:59 pm
There are GPAs, and there are GPA's. Not all GPAs are equal even with the same score. The only GPA that counts is what you do with your education. It should always be a challenge with yourself, not with others.
JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 02:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Noble thoughts, CI, and I agree, but the system is much more cut throat than that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 02:50 pm
@JTT,
Yes it is, but we're talking about students hugging the "bottom of the class."

That used to be me through high school.

Also, there's a current magazine that lists the preferred colleges and universities, their SAT/GRE scores, admissions, and rankings. I was surprised to see CIT higher than MIT or Harvard. Of coarse, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Berkeley, and some others are always listed as the place to get your education. I was never in that league, so attended Cal State Hayward when it was a small school (less than 3,000 students), but got a pretty good education, and had four job offers before I even graduated (because it had a good reputation for accounting grads).

Some of us who didn't do well in grade school ended up doing better than average in our work careers, and I believe that's what counts.

Study hard, and work hard; it pays off.
oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How to pronounce the word cicerone?

My E-C dict tells me:

[sisə'rəuni]

Is it right?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Yes it is, but we're talking about students hugging the "bottom of the class."

That used to be me through high school.

Also, there's a current magazine that lists the preferred colleges and universities, their SAT/GRE scores, admissions, and rankings. I was surprised to see CIT higher than MIT or Harvard. Of coarse, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Berkeley, and some others are always listed as the place to get your education. I was never in that league, so attended Cal State Hayward when it was a small school (less than 3,000 students), but got a pretty good education, and had four job offers before I even graduated (because it had a good reputation for accounting grads).

Some of us who didn't do well in grade school ended up doing better than average in our work careers, and I believe that's what counts.

Study hard, and work hard; it pays off.

CIT stands for California Institute Of Technology?
Cal State Hayward stands for California State University, East Bay ?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:48 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, to both.
oristarA

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks
0 Replies