last night's storms

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 12:00 pm
Reuters) - The death toll from three days of severe storms and tornadoes in the southern United States rose to at least 39 on Sunday, with hundreds of homes damaged or destroyed in North Carolina alone, weather and emergency officials said.

North Carolina accounted for the bulk of casualties and property losses reported by state officials -- 22 people killed and more than 80 others injured, some of them severely, as significant damage mounted in at least 15 counties.

Seven additional deaths reported since Thursday in four other states -- Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi and Oklahoma -- brought the overall death toll from the storms to 39.

Anybody heard from BVT? Squinney? Farmerman? Others?
Realjohnboy is okay -

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 02:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
WE made it ok with just some barn roof damage. I woulda been ok but we started tearing off a section of barn roof to install a small PVT solar . I had the blue plastic down and , at last accounting, its somewhere down in MAryland. We live in a dangerous "cleft" in the piedmont. The line squalls come racing across the hills and then sneak thrpugh the clefts around Adams county and we get these brutish storms. Well, while we didnt have any tornadoes like in NC, we did have some line squalls that mwaasured out at 80 mph on my wind gage.

Ive been wondering about the BEar and squinney and John Boy and ragman.

North Carolina got really trashed in these storms. NOW, there is some "defunding talk" about cutting budgets for theNAt QWeather Service and its emergency warning systems. They use an infra red satellite picture that gets built on top of the doppler shots and they can pick out tornadoes just starting. I understand that these warnings came in quite handy down there.

HEY BEEAAR!! where the **** are ya?
JPB

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
I pinged bear and squinney on FB. Bear's been sighted but no signs of squinney yet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 02:59 pm
John of Virginia is all right as well. Think he was on the Weather or Not thread, but I can't be certain.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 03:37 pm
I hope that Engineer and his family made it to NYC safely yesterday. They were travelling from near Wilmington, N.C.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:15 pm
all the quinneys are okay and thanks for asking.
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:21 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
was it real bad down your way bear? ( I refuse to call you the blueveinedthrobber).

I only saw some shots that people were sending in to the weather channel. I shop routinely at Tractor SUpply so when I saw that shot where the store manager gathered up all the customers and had them at the other end of the store, that was real smart.
All tractor supplies have these big concrete bays in their rears and these make great storm cellars.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:38 pm
It was pretty rough. three people killed in a trailer park (of course) off Capital blvd and a lot of damage in South Raleigh and going North towards Wake Forest. An entire Lowes was leveled in Sanford.

I was in Smithfield doing sound for a festival pageant at the local high school there and we got huge windshield smashing hail , lost power and high winds... but we went into the common room and were surrounded by concrete and cinder block so a-okay.

A friend of mine lost his house but no injuries. Tomorrow after I get up I'll contact musicians and djs, and see if we can do a fund raiser.
msolga

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:01 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
That's a relief to hear, Bear*.
I saw that Raleigh was one of the badly affect areas on the news & thought of you & squinney, plus other A2K "southerners" whose exact where-abouts I'm too sure about..
Very glad to hear that everyone appears to be OK.

(*I find it hard to call you blueveinedthrobber, too.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Has the LionTamer checked in today?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
anyone in touch with Seed recently? he's also in the greater Raleigh area
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:24 pm
Here's hoping all our friends are okay.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes. He posted here:

http://able2know.org/topic/166046-14#post-4576826

but not about the storm.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Has the LionTamer checked in today?

Chapel Hill did okay
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:23 am
@edgarblythe,
Whew! So relieved everyone is OK.

BBB
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:32 am
Funny...not funny ha ha.. I contacted a couple of venue owners to see if they would be willing to host fund raisers and no response. Usually when a tragedy hits somewhere else people are lining up. I thought it would be nice to do a hometown fundraiser.

Having said that, people are contributing to various local help agencies.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:44 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
sometimes we have to wait a bit until the rubble is cleaned up beforeyou do rock n roll fund raisers. We had a bad flood in 1996 in this area and the "country music"fund raisers didnt happen until maybe 6 months afterwards. People were all stunned for a few weeks and months immediatley after.
MAybe thats something you can do around July when everyones starting to get their **** back together.

We were hardly grazed by the storms and there are barns with roofs torn off and trees on top of cars and damage from flooding in small developments with crick-side houses.(Cricks turned into deep rivers for about 8 hours and the insides of some of these Mickey Mansions look like they were hosed out with a mud pump).
I imagine its really bad down in your area
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 08:54 am
@farmerman,
It's rough. The most heartbreaking part is that the three killed were young siblings.

I'm going to buy some canned goods and staple stuff today to take to the Food bank. Best I can do currently.
0 Replies