The lies we tell children. (and the lies we were told as children.)

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:45 am
@msolga,
I was responding to the topic question. I think parents should use the analogy of farmers planting seeds and fertilizing to explain to kids where babies come from.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:02 am
@Eorl,
Can you find something that is a challenge for her, maybe in a non-academic way? Taking piano or acting lessons or something that is a stretch for her.

Does her school offer gifted classes? (This goes back to how old she is I guess, not sure where she is in school.)

Quote:
I tell her "smart" is not enough. There are plenty of smart slackers in the world not doing well at all.

I completely agree with this.
0 Replies

Rachel Muse

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:42 am
@msolga,
This article reminds me my childhood.

Sometimes, when my family was having dinner together. My parents always place the dishes with better food in front of us, and tell us that they don't like it. Or take an example, they just eat the head of fish and tell us they just like to eat the head. And we kids eat the body of fish.
This kind of things happens a lot in other families.

This lie is a kind of love from parents in this society.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:32 am
@Rachel Muse,
Right. Mom used to tell us the heel of the loaf of bread was the best part. We didn't believe her, and she got to eat a lot of heels.

In my society, this was a way to get the kids to eat something they didn't want.

Don't take me the wrong way, Rachel. It's late at night and I'm just having fun.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:34 am
@roger,
Roger, Everything I didn't like was the best part. I didn't care. If it's the best part, you eat it. I don't want it.
0 Replies

Rachel Muse

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:35 am
@roger,
Haha.....Then take a great break and have a sweet dream.(^_^)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:20 am
@Rachel Muse,
Rachel Muse wrote:

This article reminds me my childhood.

Sometimes, when my family was having dinner together. My parents always place the dishes with better food in front of us, and tell us that they don't like it. Or take an example, they just eat the head of fish and tell us they just like to eat the head. And we kids eat the body of fish.
This kind of things happens a lot in other families.

This lie is a kind of love from parents in this society.
As I understand it,
in this society (more ofen than not), each member of the family gets his own fish.

I love fish; the secret to proper preparation is NOT to overcook it!

David
0 Replies