cover his partners’ call schedules?

Nancy88

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:09 pm
The past couple months, he has spent most his time working, volunteering to cover his partners’ call schedules and staying late at the office to finish paperwork.

The sentence is talking of a surgeon. What does the phrase "cover his partner's call shedules"?
My understanding is like this:
Some patients call some of his partners to go to their house. Any he does the call-outs for his partners.

Am I right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 540 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:19 pm
@Nancy88,
Doctors in private practice often have an arrangement between the partners in the medical practice where one of them is always available to handle any emergencies that might come up with any of the partners' patients. That partner is said to be "on call" -- ready to handle any emergency calls.
0 Replies

BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:45 pm
@Nancy88,
Quote:
The sentence is talking of a surgeon. What does the phrase "cover his partner's call shedules"?
My understanding is like this:
Some patients call some of his partners to go to their house. Any he does the call-outs for his partners.

A surgeon in the US and most of the world that I am awared of does not do housecalls.

The likely meaning is that he is the on call surgeon for patients who had run into problems during their recovery period in the Hospital and during off hours such as in the middle of the night.
0 Replies