What's the meaning of "enjoy benefits of the attention"?

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:22 pm
“In a dramatic medical breakthrough, which has been likened to science fiction, doctors in London have claimed that it would be possible to transplant a whole human face by grafting a dead person's face on to a living one.

Not in some distant futre, but now.

The breakthrough would massively benefit people disfigured by injury or disease, but doctors warned that it had deep psychological implications both the recipient of the new face and te family of the donor.

Anyone living by the slogan: live fast, die young and leave a pretty corpse, may soon find themselves in hot demand. Unfortunately they're unlikely to enjoy the benefits of the attention.”

A translation assignment. The title of it is "Dilemma for science."
In the last paragraph, I don't understand what is "the benefits", what is "the attention", and why the author thinks these people are "unfortunately".
Could anyone explain this sentence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,280 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:39 pm
@Justin Xu,
It means that they will only be in hot demand, i.e., getting attention, after they are dead. So they won't be able to enjoy any benefits of this attention, of being in "hot demand." The author says "unfortunately," because it is unfortunate from the point of view of any one who lives fast, dies young and leaves a pretty corpse that they will only be the subject of that attention when they are dead, and unable to enjoy it.
0 Replies