CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 08:38 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Interesting, that you don't like my opinions. Yes, I can be negative.. I've owned a couple of galleries, and my opinions are just that.
Start your own, I'll try to visit.

When I was younger and had more time, I painted and I actually sold quite
a few of my paintings. Where I come from, frames are exceptionally beautiful, however, none of this matters here. All that matters is what shewolf asked for and the funky exhibit she is going to attend and she showed pictures of.
If I cannot put myself in other peoples shoes and always tell them what I have done and what I did and what I think is wrong, then I consider myself a poor soul of me, myself and I.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
the fridge door is a fantastic idea

window panes are great too. I can use flower prints and animals to fill the slots

Im afraid that some where along the line in this thread, the assumption is that I am going to go tacky walmart scrap book style in my presentation. I dont know whether to be offended or laugh.

I do NOT look for gimmick style set ups when I have the opportunity to present like this. That is just not my style.

A lot of other photographers have used black twine and clips to hang their photos from.
that to me.. is tacky

A large, beautiful fridge door with photos? Awesome.
Antique window panes? awesome again

especially when on the walls between these few displays are going to be framed art works as well.

please dont assume im going tacky / junky...
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:07 am
@shewolfnm,
Knowing your pictures, shewolf, you could put them on a garbage can and
they still stand out - they're that good!! Since it's a funky affair I do think some off the wall pictures and frames won't miss the mark. You're doing the right thing and I am certain you will sell every one of your fantastic work.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:31 am
I'd be a bit wary of a fridge door in that the immediate association is "snapshots".

I don't have any solid ideas since I'm more in the osso/Green Witch school of framing but I thought I'd toss this out there....

And artist friend of mine used to buy decommissioned wallpaper books from paint stores -- the high end books with beautiful grass cloth papers, etc. She would hand-write stories on the back side of the paper and affix her illustrations and objects to the facing page using the patterned side as a border of sorts.

She would tear the books apart, organize them in the way she wanted and rebind them using covers that she made.

They were really interesting books to look at. They had a sort of mysterious feel because of their size and weight -- and also because of her stories and illustrations.

But anyway...

You might try to get your hands on a nice wallpaper book to make "frames" from.

Congratulations on the invite and good luck with your show!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 11:08 am
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
please dont assume im going tacky / junky...

I know you posted because this is exactly what you don't want. The problem is the line is a thin one once you venture away from the simple classic frames and go into any other presentation. It would be easy to unwilling fall into the crafty category and lose the more powerful impression of the artwork.
Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 12:27 pm
@Green Witch,
Well said. I agree about the framing choice as professional photographer who often faces the very same issue.

Shewolf: As tempting as it can be, I often times choose simple Nielsen museum frames (and Bainbridge mats) with my B&W artistic prints. I want nothing to interfere or compete for attention with the images themselves. However, with my multi-media art and my more abstract images, I get a little or a lot more daring.

BTW, you're work is very good art and you use excellent technique. Also, the website design is well done ... classy and well organized.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 02:08 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I don't know if this is totally bleeding obvious, but I think really cool framing ideas could easily suggest themselves from each individual piece. Sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively or even cryptically.

That's what gave me the idea about using the car moldings. I love her b&w photo of the antique auto. It just cries out for a chrome frame.

She's got several other photos that cry out for a similar metallic tone in the frame.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:21 pm
each photo needs its own frame to tell the story I agree...

but there are only a handful that I will do this with.

The reason the fridge door works is because it can be mounted on one side of the room WITH snap shots on it. Kiddo funny faces.... streets.. things you WOULD see on a fridge door and NOT for sale.. just a room filler.

I HAVE to fill an ENTIRE bar... haha Smile
so a corner with frdige snap shots work.

another with a string and clips might work too ... though I dont really like that idea.
several large framed pieces of work will be on the wall

a old shabby chic style coffee table will be out WITH coffee table books on it for sale

Calendars hung on the walls with different photos showing.. again.. for sale..

etc
etc.

does that help?
This is not going to be one corner, this is a WHOLE bar.. and not everything is for sale.
Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:56 pm
@Ragman,
wow
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@shewolfnm,
The old salvaged window idea might work as a display venue for some of your graveyard photos. You could entitle it as "A Window In Time."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:38 pm
@shewolfnm,
Hello again, shewolf

Just dropping by to wish you every success at this event.
You deserve it.
Good luck!
I can see this a very big deal for you!
Quote:
weeeeeeeee!!!!
Yall this is HUGE!!!! Im so excited. holy.. wow.. crap..weee.....!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:12 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
 … a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in sox, sir!
Was he INSURED for that ?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 07:41 am
If you can't get a fridge door, maybe you could get a used French door with the multiple window panes. Mount them behind the glass and the inner trim will be the frame for each photo. Lots of fab ideas here! I'm getting inspired Smile

When is this show, by the way, She? I forget if you said.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 08:12 am
May 19th
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 01:25 am
While doing some window shopping with my browser, I ran across this and thought it might give you some ideas to work with.

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/SwissColony/062968_alt1?$saMain$

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/SwissColony/062968?$saMain$
0 Replies