Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:02 pm
@shewolfnm,
Put your best foot forward and go with the maximum quality you can afford.

That may mean you have to go with a lesser number of images in order to showcase your best work with appropriate frames and not distract from it with much of the funky stuff.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:06 pm
@shewolfnm,
Why do you have to fit in on that level? Did they say you have to use a "crafty" frame on some of your work? I can't imagine it's an important show if this is something they are dictating.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:06 pm
@shewolfnm,
No.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:10 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch,
here is the link shewolf provided from last year's art show she's attending
this year...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawartists/sets/72157626255462943/
Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks, CJ. I don't see that the photos are "gussied" up. There seems to be various performance art, but the photos are in very simple presentations.

My most recent thought was to do the Joseph Cornell method of memory boxes, but that will still make the photo a collage. I would also post some of the photos from CJ's link, but the site won't let me. On the site the photos are in the classical black frames with solid matt or blocked on board. I don't see any framed in a more funky fashion:

http://www.neurodiversity.com/graphic/cornell_mediciboy.jpg

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's nice. Both green witch and I have some experience in the art world. Shewolf can listen to us or not, as the art world does whirl. I won't bet against her jumping off and winning accolades, am for it.

But, sw, don't the **** concock some stupid frame for your photos.
If you insist, make it very stupid.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
On the site the photos are in the classical black frames with solid matt or blocked on board. I don't see any that framed in a more funky fashion:

That's what I was trying to show her with the links to the framing departments on art supply store websites. It was for the simple ideas and inspiration, not for the actual doing of the framing as was assumed by Osso.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have no answer to this, I've been to Michael's. Have you ever been to a good framing place, Bfn? I found the people at Michael's ignorant.
In my last hometown, the local engineering supply place was swifter re any of this.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:32 pm
@ossobuco,
I used Michael's once. Someone had given me a little 19c oil on canvas landscape and I wanted a simple gold burnished frame that would not be too expensive. The (very) young lady running the department tried to sell me a faux wood frame that had a built in puffy fabric mat with a print of chickens on it. I had to tell her "no" three times before she dropped the idea. I agree that framing is somewhat of a dying art, especially outside of large cities.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:36 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
but i want a few that are framed in a way that also attracts the 'collector' style person. Maybe that is not the best word but Im hoping my idea is understood..

Back to this. I need a better understanding of who you are selling to. A real collector (as in someone with $$$) is not going to go for cute or funky - real collectors buy photographs that speak to them and don't look for a bonus prize in the form of a frame.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:38 pm
@Green Witch,
Thank you, and also to that guy in Ferndale - I'm supposing he is out of business by now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
If you do some black and white portraits, why not paste em up cleverly on a refrigerator door.

I wanted to do a set of portraits that were full body torsos from the waist up and paste them on the windows of an old beat up car . This would look like a portrait of a family that would be seen at each of the windows.

Ive seen the picture in the inside hole of a toilet seat, thats a cliche.

photos mounted within each pane of glass of a 6 over 6 window. Youd need 12 shots of a similar subject (maybe a study of an animal or a daffodil in various stages of growth flowering and then decay

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:41 pm
@Green Witch,
Bless you for saying that.

(I'm off busy being negative.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If you do some black and white portraits, why not paste em up cleverly on a refrigerator door.

Okay, I like that one. It's a presentation package that could work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
Interesting, that you don't like my opinions. Yes, I can be negative.. I've owned a couple of galleries, and my opinions are just that.
Start your own, I'll try to visit.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Again, it wasn't about the quality of the place doing the framing. It was about giving some examples of framed photographs so she could maybe get some ideas to inspire her own -- nothing more than that. That's what she asked for -- some ideas and suggestions for some inspiration.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:25 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
I just got my first invite for a very BIG showcase and I have 4 weeks.

Im nervous, my gut is shaking and yet.. Im so damn excited I could piddle like a poodle..
Coud u make a poodle puddle ?
Izzie

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:43 am
@shewolfnm,
I'm excited for you too Woman. I wouldn't know too much about framing - but if there's a possibility you can post up (orPM/e) any of the ideas you come up with - will give you an honest C&C of them - the framing is a bit like photography tho - it is subjective and your eye is the important one on what you consider works with your images. Do ensure you take shots of everything before you do the show - I understand each piece is individual - but if you have two buyers for one piece, then providing a similar repro may be worth your while.

Keep us posted... I'll send you incontinence pads nearer the time Wink

love ya woman!

<perhaps PM Aldistar/JLNobody and link yer thread, verra arty>
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:11 am
@shewolfnm,
I don't know if this is totally bleeding obvious, but I think really cool framing ideas could easily suggest themselves from each individual piece. Sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively or even cryptically.
Eorl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
 … a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in sox, sir!