shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:11 pm
it is an EXTREMELY funky affair.

I do not have a lot of photos that will match gaudy, home made , goodwill find type of frame ideas and throw togethers, but those that I do have need to be in something that is eye catching compared to all the other odd ball pieces that are there.

I will have many of my black and whites in classic regular frames on the wall. Most of my frames cost in the 100's for just the frame alone. Not at all what you will find in walmart, target or even ikea.
My 27x37 is close to 400.00 just for the frame.

I will have photos setup appropriate for art showing, but I need some with outlandish, yet attractive , funky frame ideas..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I'll be obnoxious.

We are watching the death of real businesses that do good framing.
People who showed with us picked from a few choice framers.. The best was just the best, a guy from the so called glass place in Ferndale. He had impeccable judgement. The frame always made sense with the work as did his sense of proportion - it was a kind of beauty, minimal or elaborate.

His prices weren't much more than his competitors, though Michaels turned up and took over the market while not understanding any of it.
Thus ensued a lot of go to hell.

Back to shewolf and frames.

Figure out what you want, wolf. Or be plain until you can do that.
Butrflynet

@shewolfnm,
Will attendees be buying/bidding on the photos as framed or will you have a supply of each unframed prints for them to buy after selecting from the collection of framed work?
dadpad

I like the silver door trims. A lot of the frame design will be dependant on the photo itself but I really like the ideas that are coming up here.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Will attendees be buying/bidding on the photos as framed or will you have a supply of each unframed prints for them to buy after selecting from the collection of framed work?

i will sell what i bring

I will have calendars and photo books too but I will not have more than one copy of any framed photo.
Once it is sold, it is sold..
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:18 pm
@ossobuco,
majority of my photos will be in plain frames.

I do have to have a few that I have either done myself, or found something funky to put the photos in.
thats just the venue .
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:19 pm
@shewolfnm,
How about an old window frame where you can clip the pictures on?
http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a04/sk/rv/ideas-old-window-frames-800X800.jpg
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
I know where to get antique windows from too!!

that is perfect!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:24 pm
@shewolfnm,
I was trying to find some inexpensive materials you could use to make your own frames.

It sounds like you will have a good chance of making back the money you invest in the frames if people fall in love with your photos.

The trick will be selecting which images to invest framing dollars for and which to go a less costly route. The thing to decide on is whether you want to be sure to have something for most price ranges, or just go the most expensive route for everything and hope there are enough buyers that like your photography and can afford to help you recoupe your expensive framing costs.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, and so?

this brings up the whole question of making your art meet art contests.

This is questionable for some.

I can get it, especially re needing money, but I think shewolf is a true artist and I'd like her to make her way as herself. Not that she is pure, but she is a purist, and I'd like to see her keep it that way.

I don't give a **** re this present contest, I want to see her further work.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:36 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I don't give a **** re this present contest, I want to see her further work.

shewolf was asking for ideas for this present contest. If you don't give a ****
about the funky art exhibit she's attending, that's okay, but why have 10 posts about you telling us how shitty it is. You're awfully negative, osso, and not just on this thread, I might add.

I for one think it's a great idea, shewolf. We had something similar not to
long ago in my town, and it was a huge success for all: the artists and the
attendees.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
People who came into my last gallery cared that the photo wasn't slick against the glass, and they probably cared about the type of glass. They likely cared that the photo with its backing wasn't subject to swelling in some weather. Paper does move, you know, somewhat amazingly. Competence in framing matters.

That said, I've framed a lot of stuff willy nilly myself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ah, I suppose that is so. I am feisty. Are you, another ms feisty, telling me to shut up?

I'll be quiet soon enough. You'll miss me, ha.
That not meant to be one of those good bye things. Adds, I dunno, I may be here for another month.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:49 pm
Are you spotlighting your photos or making collages with them? The book idea is fine if it is a collage, but I don't think you need a gimmick to sell a photo. A gimmick might make your work look like a craft project and not fine art.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:51 pm
@Green Witch,
nods while yelling.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:54 pm
@shewolfnm,
I wanna wish u a lot of GOOD LUCK
and GOOD CREATIVITY, Shewolf!

David
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
thank you thank you thank you Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

A gimmick might make your work look like a craft project and not fine art.

precisely

which is why, for the few photos that I will do this with, I need really amazing ideas.
Not just a good will worn frame...

trust me.
I dont really WANT to have to jump into the scrap book looking crowd, but the PEOPLE that will be there, the PLACE this is held, the ATTENTION it gets, I will not pass it up.

But i will go against the grain and have most of my work framed and displayed properly with just a handful of 'fartsy home art" pieces just so i can fit in..

does that make sense?
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:59 pm
this show gets local news coverage.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:02 pm
Simple:
http://mushiart.com/shop/files/mine.jpg

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/31/3135/C71GF00Z.jpg

Gimmick:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/images/articles42/ReelPicFrames300x300.jpg