Childhood Toy Missing

jodie34

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:26 am
Our son is 30 years old . He has had a childhood toy that has gone missing and is threating to sue my husband and I. Our children were told before they left home to go through all their belongings. It has been so long I do not have a clue about this toy. My moto is if it was that important he should have taken care of it. Isn't this childish on his part.

View best answer, chosen by jodie34
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:28 am
@jodie34,
have you considered a retroactive abortion, it seems the world would be a better place if this kid wasn't in it
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:32 am
Ask him if he can spell m-i-d-l-i-f-e--c-r-i-s-i-s.

Let him sue.

Joe(is he laying on the floor screaming?)Nation
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:41 am
@Joe Nation,
i blame Ebay

dj(that GI Joe with the kung fu grip is worth how much?)jd

engineer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 07:57 am
@jodie34,
I'm not even sure he has a claim that it is his. A few years ago a local teenager ran off with her high school track coach. She wanted to take her beenie baby collection to sell it and her parents told her no. She went to court but was told that property collected while she was a minor under her parents' control was really theirs. If your son left the property at your house for over ten years, it would be hard to show it was his anyway. It should be an interesting law suit, keep us informed.
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:05 am
@jodie34,
I agree with your motto and please tell him he has no sympathy from any of us.

And yes very childish - and of course he has no leg to stand on about the toy if he left it with you for 10 years then it ain't his property any longer.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:06 am
@djjd62,
When I was a kid, I had a GI Joe with Kung Fu Grip ... but my parent's negligently allowed me to color on him with magic marker ... can I sue them?
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:10 am
@Ticomaya,
mine had the felt brush cut and goatee, now that i think about he was the 70's version of the don't ask, don't tell GI Joe

i do wish i had my original stark trek action figures with the real clothes, in stead of the pre moulded clothing you get now, but their loss is my fault alone
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:14 am
@jodie34,
out of curiosity, what's the toy?
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
@Ticomaya,
My brother had the most awesome star wars collection - he had all the characters. My parents sold them at a yard sale for maybe 5 cents each without his ok - I'm going see if I can get in on the suing as these would have been worth quite a bit now.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:03 am
@Ticomaya,
Yeah, I want to sue, too - for genetic short-comings. I wanted to be a 6ft-er and my 2 brothers were. Hell, everyone in my family is taller than me (5ft 7.5in) even my sister is taller than me. I'm suing my parents (even though they're deceased) because my mom was being mean because she smoked when she was preganant with me. Undoubtedly, this deprived me of my rightful height.

Toys? Bwahahahaha! I got the boxes from my brother's toys. Should I sue, too? Let me know how your son's suit turns out. Fercrissakes!

There's a case of TMC from a child (Too Much Crap) !

Seriously, let's just say hypothetically that this toy that had an extraordinary market value. In order for the lawsuit to have any legal merit and not be dismissed as frivolous, I'd guess that he'd have to prove you still had it in your possession or that you were negligent in some way. Then there's the issue of timeframes and statue of limitations. It's pretty absurd.

Judging from some of your other posts a while back, you and he either have a strained relationship or he has some other serious emotional issues.
engineer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:21 am
@Ragman,
I think you make four points to your loving son:
1) It's not his toy, it is yours.
2) Even though you would have happily given it to him, he abandoned it for years.
3) If he sues, the Internet will run with it and he will be a national laughingstock. You will get a call from Good Morning America and he will get the CGI news treatment from Taiwan.
4) You are happy to have him visit and he is always welcome in your home, but he should not come into your house treatening lawsuits about toys. Just not respectful.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
@djjd62,
Life has been a roller coaster with him.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:55 am
@djjd62,
It was a star war figure. I have no idea where it could be and he insists that we have it.
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:01 am
@jodie34,
that was my guess, judging by the age, it's ridiculous to think he has any case here, anything i wanted from childhood i took with me when i left home
0 Replies

MrSandman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 04:27 pm
@jodie34,
Wow, Jodie. First - I'm heartbroken to read that you, as a parent, should have to deal with such frustration. I know it's not uncommon but still, he's your son. As a father, I can't imagine ever not loving my kids regardless of their idiotic ways (leaving out extreme acts, but I digress). I'm sorry you have to endure this, though I'm sure it's just one thing in a list of episodes.

Second, don't you think he's just posturing? Is it possible he just wants you to open the house up for him to rifle through for anything else that has monetary value as well? Or is he really that desperate over a toy? It just doesn't seem like something worth that kind of aggravation unless there is some kind of alter motive. Maybe he just lives in a different world, though. One where Starwars action figures rule with ultimate power. Or maybe he hid his stash in said action figure...

As others have said, he has no case. Let him waste his time and money on a lawsuit but, unless he has legal documentation signed by you stating that you have it and will keep it for him, he has no hope of winning. Let me take that back, this is America. He has a chance if you live in California. ;-)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 04:36 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

out of curiosity, what's the toy?

It went ZIP when it moved and BOP when it stopped and Whirrrrrrr when it stood still

djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 04:43 pm
@dadpad,
Very Happy

i'm guessing he took this toy with him
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 05:00 pm
Ebay has tons of the Star Wars stuff. You could replace it.

What's with the suing thing?
Are you a family of lawyers?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 05:40 pm
Jodie has past threads re wacky family and, to me, sometimes wacky questions - - there is a background for all this.